Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Public opinion and pressure probably forced that orange alert.
    Certainly didn’t desever one in Dublin.

Rte reporting that the storm has virtually passed other than the NW where gust will continue throughout the day.

Quite bad in Dublin overnight.
    Weather dan also change, an orange or any warning isn't a guarantee..

With the high winds and damage potential it was certainly deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Max gust in 0700 reports of 60kts at Belmullet.

belmullet got special mention in the early forecast so great accuracy...

ectoraige wrote: »
    Force 4-5 on the cycle to work here in Sligo town, but evidence of stronger winds overnight with a number of small branches on the roads.

How fast is Callum moving now that he's reached land, are these timings still broadly accurate? I'd assume 2/3pm would be peak winds in Sligo, we always seem shielded from the worst of the storms.

still raging here in west mayo, loud as ever. heading for 8 am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

bennyl10 wrote: »
    Quite bad in Dublin overnight.
    Weather dan also change, an orange or any warning isn't a guarantee..

With the high winds and damage potential it was certainly deserved

Where in Dublin. Their was a few gust of wind and it’s nearly completely died down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Public opinion and pressure probably forced that orange alert.
    Certainly didn’t desever one in Dublin.

Rte reporting that the storm has virtually passed other than the NW where gust will continue throughout the day.

Public opinion ? More health and safety.

Some people are only happy when there are deaths due to weather. Its like they tie value for money to the events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    Completely missed us in East Galway
    I hope this doesn’t make people around here less vigilant for the next one
    I’ve already got a few texts to that effect as I had tipped a few off last Monday about the threat of s storm
    If you read the post about timings above it wasn't forecast to be bad around our area until maybe lunchtime today so I wouldn't count those chickens yet, they may get blown away later. Met warning is in place until the evening, unless they revise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

STB. wrote: »
    Public opinion ? More health and safety.

Some people are only happy when there are deaths due to weather. Its like they tie value for money to the events.

Can you back that statement up please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Because most slept through it they think there was nothing.
    In Kildare around 3/4 in the morning it was a full blown storm, fairly impressive. I wouldn’t have liked to be driving in it.
    I can understand why they gave an orange warning on the coast.

Can you back that statement up please?

Yep.

The amount of people who post on this thread with "nothing happening here" "stupid elevated x level didnt apply to my region" "could have been at work" etc etc

Same whinging that goes on all the time by people who have been inconvenienced by a weather report that didn't hit their area.

The people who think that forecasting is that much an exact science that it should be simple to forecast what is happening in their 1 sq kilometre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

There is a separate thread to discuss whether or not warnings are needed or justified. Can we keep this one for the actual technical discussion and conditions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Awake here at 4:45 and could hear it raging outside (co kk) it's still pretty windy here and my husband text to say he's sitting in a row of cars watching the fire brigade move a tree off the road. This was at 7am.

Around here it seems to have been called perfectly. Even down to the time it would hit. Impressive!

Yep.

The amount of people who post on this thread with "nothing happening here" "stupid elevated x level didnt apply to my region" "could have been at work" etc etc

Same whinging that goes on all the time by people who have been inconvenienced by a weather report that didn't hit their area.

The people who think that forecasting is that much an exact science that it should be simple to forecast what is happening in their 1 sq kilometre.

Oh right, so nobody actually said I,” want to see deaths ? “ Thought you were projecting right enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

km79 wrote: »
    Completely missed us in East Galway
    I hope this doesn’t make people around here less vigilant for the next one
    I’ve already got a few texts to that effect as I had tipped a few off last Monday about the threat of s storm

Well i woke a number of times during the night (north Galway) and it was absolutely howling out. Had it been like that when people were out and about I think peoples views would be different.

Pretty calm out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What time are we expecting it to get bad in cork city?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

No school in Hospital Co. Limerick....No electricity either...will have to get the board games out

Oh right, so nobody actually said I,” want to see deaths ? “ Thought you were projecting right enough.

Dont be pedantic. You know what I meant.

Back on Topic. Wexford. Wild howling gusts. Large 1.1m dish still on shed wall though. Havent been out on road yet. I'd say trees are down though. If MJs timeline predictions are right we should be seeing the worst of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

It peaked early in the morning as far as I know and it was rough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Graces7 wrote: »
    still raging here in west mayo, loud as ever. heading for 8 am

Barely a gust in Westport, amazing how weather can be so localised. Stay safe out tgere.

Incredibly getting fiercer out here. "whirling wind's tempestuous shocks"

Mu mind is not scared but my body has reflexes I am not responsible for ,,, no easing and if anything worsening in ferocity.

One of my cats is curled up by me, paw on my warm, so relaxed....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

It’s finished in cork city. Was very bad during the night, woke me up more then once. Along with the sheeting rain, couldn’t see out my window it was so heavy.

• Advertisement

Barely a gust in Westport, amazing how weather can be so localised. Stay safe out tgere.

Thanks and yes, amazing !!!

offshore island though..

hope everyone here is ok... nothing i can do except stay safe and pray..

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

If you read the post about timings above it wasn't forecast to be bad around our area until maybe lunchtime today so I wouldn't count those chickens yet, they may get blown away later. Met warning is in place until the evening, unless they revise it.

Yeah I spotted that post last night
    I was curious as to the later timing for us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Has it passed Dublin?

Dont be pedantic. You know what I meant.

Back on Topic. Wexford. Wild howling gusts. Large 1.1m dish still on shed wall though. Havent been out on road yet. I'd say trees are down though. If MJs timeline predictions are right we should be seeing the worst of it now.

Not pedantic at all, was just checking if you could verify your outrageous claims. You couldn’t

Yes I agree , back on topic....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Did anyone else hear about a train from Waterford to Houston hitting a tree? A friend text me, but I can't see any reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Whispered wrote:
    Did anyone else hear about a train from Waterford to Houston hitting a tree? A friend text me, but I can't see any reports.

Yeah Irish rail tweeted about it earlier. Said it was continuing it's journey , but at reduced speed

Whispered wrote: »

I presume it was the tree that hit the train :)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Still pretty rough in west Galway, dry and the wind still coming strongly from the South although it seemed to be coming from the west there for a bit, at least by the scientific measure of wind-flattened nettles. Where is the storm at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Whispered wrote: »

We have train service to Texas now? Cool!¬ ;):pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

I presume it was the tree that hit the train :)
    Maybe the tree fell on the track. The tree was at a standstill then a train hit it. Maybe. Haha

Advertisement