Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Public opinion and pressure probably forced that orange alert.
    Certainly didn’t desever one in Dublin.

Rte reporting that the storm has virtually passed other than the NW where gust will continue throughout the day.

Worst not due in Dublin till 8ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Peatys wrote: »

Where you seeing that. Everywhere I look is saying about 12/1 am

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not sure where you are getting that?

Storm peaked in Dublin around 2am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Pretty mild storm here in Kildare. Bit of rain and wind around 3-4am was the worst of it

Where you getting that info peaty?

Worst is passed I think -defer to the real experts to answer that

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks and yes, amazing !!!

offshore island though..

hope everyone here is ok... nothing i can do except stay safe and pray..

And also post on this. Keep us updated graces 7

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Max gust in 0800 reports is 67 kts at Belmullet (124 km/h).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure where you are getting that?

Storm peaked in Dublin around 2am this morning.

He got it from this outdated post that was posted overnight.

Quote: MJohnstonHere are approximate timings for the peaks of the worst winds, so that we can cut the "load of nothing" posts out before they start.

South-west coast: 2/3am
    Cork/South coast: 5/6am
    Midlands: 5/6am
    South-east: 6/7am
    Dublin/East Coast/Ulster: 7/8am
    Galway/Mayo: 12pm/1pm
    Donegal: 4/5pm
    Limerick: might peak twice here, first around 2am, then again around 11am/12pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Monkeynut wrote: »
    Maybe the tree fell on the track. The tree was at a standstill then a train hit it. Maybe. Haha

That's what I presumed! That there was a tree/branch on the track. Glad to hear it was a non-incident.

As for spelling. Autocorrect, we have a problem.

Still wild here (Kilkenny), a day for bed. The boys preschool has text to say they're closed for the day due to power cut. They're a rural, outdoor school so not ideal on a day like today anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Funny to hear that motorists in Galway reopened the roads last night by removing cones/bollards. People get annoyed that the council close roads so far in advance of a storm. No flooding yet and high tide has just passed.

• Advertisement

Duplicate post.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

sparrowcar wrote: »
    He got it from this outdated post that was posted overnight.

Quote: MJohnstonHere are approximate timings for the peaks of the worst winds, so that we can cut the "load of nothing" posts out before they start.

South-west coast: 2/3am
    Cork/South coast: 5/6am
    Midlands: 5/6am
    South-east: 6/7am
    Dublin/East Coast/Ulster: 7/8am
    Galway/Mayo: 12pm/1pm
    Donegal: 4/5pm
    Limerick: might peak twice here, first around 2am, then again around 11am/12pm.

Ah, thanks, I was looking for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

for some reason boards is not downlading properly, cannot get eg emoticons ir edit posts and get a strange page when I first try,,as if on depleted power

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

My observations of Storm Callum from Galway City, heavy rain, a few flashes of lightning and the strongest gust of wind recorded on my station all night was 60mph, I would say the worst is over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

A bit windy in dublin but it was obvious from the models and mt that east coast would be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

67 kts at Belmullet, 58 kts at Newport too. Sligo Airport has gone offline but Donegal is reporting 40 knots now. Will be interesting to see how high it gets.

Belmullet might go a bit higher yet. Peak of the storm's core winds should pass the NW Mayo coast at around 10am.

hirlamuk-3-9-0_ixk6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Whirl_wolle

I viewed the claddagh webcam for a while at 8 am this morning. It seems to be business as usual in Galway city. It was quite at 8 am but then became slightly more busier. People are not battling with winds.

I'm in Galway west and the wind is howling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

144kmh gust reported at Clew Bay by Achill Cosst Guard which is a little South of Belmullet which recorded 126kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Villain wrote: »
    144kmh gust reported at Clew Bay by Achill Cosst Guard which is a little South of Belmullet which recorded 126kmh.

OUCH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Didn't seem to get the winds predicted here in South Sligo - slightly blowy out now - Is it due to get worse?

Pretzill wrote: »
    Didn't seem to get the winds predicted here in South Sligo - slightly blowy out now - Is it due to get worse?

For your area/the NW, yes, probably. Orange warning in effect for the NW until 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still quite stormy in Castlebar, 113 km/hr was our highest gust overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

I've to travel to Dublin from Wexford, this afternoon and then back tonight.
    Will it be ok? are the roads on East coast ok?
    Any info appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Not pedantic at all, was just checking if you could verify your outrageous claims. You couldn’t

I did.
    Yes I agree , back on topic....

You haven't contributed at all to the topic other than to jump on my posts.

Nothing that a leaky milk carton couldn't sort out, eh eh :pac::pac::pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/ESBNetworks/status/1050641618640859137

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Pattern of power outages shows interesting pattern extending from the extreme South West inland through Southern counties towards Dublin with just a few outliers further north west

30 000 without power

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESBNetworks/status/1050641618640859137

2jy4x6.jpg

I viewed the claddagh webcam for a while at 8 am this morning. It seems to be business as usual in Galway city. It was quite at 8 am but then became slightly more busier. People are not battling with winds.

I'm in Galway west and the wind is howling.

They are already opening the roads in Galway city that were closed earlier. I drove into the city this morning and saw no trees or branches down. The Prom will probably remain closed for a while. A bunch of schools closed but most seem open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Big Vern wrote: »
    Any info appreciated!

Have a look at MT Cranium's forecast https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108329484&postcount=5009

Everything fine up around Greystones this morning so rain will probably be the worst thing you'll encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Big Vern wrote: »
    Any info appreciated!

Should be okay. Mainly the NW that has the Orange extended until 6pm.
    Last updated 8:30 am Friday 12th October by Meteorologists Siobhán Ryan and Sandra Spillane

Met Éireann named Storm Callum on Wednesday 10th October. Severe Orange and Yellow Wind Warnings were issued, valid for Thursday night and Friday day. Note, the Severe Orange Warning was extended in time out to 6:00 pm on Friday for Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway and Clare, with warnings lapsing at 9:00 am elsewhere. Further warnings were considered across parts of the south and east later Friday, owing to another swathe of wind and rain. However the severity and likelihood of this secondary event has diminished considerably. Strong gales with the risk of storm force winds remain in effect for all Irish sea areas, with storm force winds from Slyne Head to Malin Head, and violent storm force winds a possibility here this morning.

This event continues to be predominantly a coastal one, though some severe gusts moved inland, especially close to the squally cold front, as it pushed up over the country overnight. Gusts in excess of 100 km/h have been recorded widely, with up to 125 km/h gusts in parts of the west.

Highest gust so far 67 Kts Belmullet 7am Friday 12th October
    Moore Park County Cork recorded 20.6mm rainfall in just a 4 hour window overnight

https://www.met.ie/forecasters-commentary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note:keep it civil please.

Advertisement