Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Some interesting data from the Marine buoys, The AMETS buoy off Mayo average 59kn max gust 97kn at present, and the M3 Buoy showing max wave heights of 9m @ 0800

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Err'd on the side of caution and walked daughter to school instead of cycled with her (2.5km or so). Would've been fine to take the bikes after all, but hindsight is 20:20, who was to know. Loads of leaves down, some twigs, some standing puddles, but seems like Ballinteer/Dundrum escaped lightly at least on my route, no signs of any trees down thankfully, and not much in the way of debris either.

Bit miffed though that I had to take the luas to work after, and will have to do so again this evening to get home. Ugh. Long as it's not too wet for the Leinster match later....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Big Vern wrote: »
    I've to travel to Dublin from Wexford, this afternoon and then back tonight.
    Will it be ok? are the roads on East coast ok?
    Any info appreciated!

East coast is grand, just a normal autumn day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Was quite wild here (on a hill just outside Dundalk) around 4:30am. No damage for us but a house a few down from us has a large American ranch style driveway entrance, big wooden thing, completed obliterated in bits on the ground. Think it must have been weakened from previous storms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

STB. wrote: »
    I did.

You haven't contributed at all to the topic other than to jump on my posts.

Nothing that a leaky milk carton couldn't sort out, eh eh :pac::pac::pac::pac:

https://twitter.com/ESBNetworks/status/1050641618640859137

Well done, you can read my posts

Unlike you, it wasn’t personal , I was asking what you were talking about. Who wishes death during bad weather?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very windy night in Wexford but nothing more. Ophelia still to be beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Big Vern wrote: »
    I've to travel to Dublin from Wexford, this afternoon and then back tonight.
    Will it be ok? are the roads on East coast ok?
    Any info appreciated!
    The main roads are fine. But, plenty of debris on the back roads, and some spot flooding on my commute in from North Wicklow. There are tree's down too, but not the main roads as far as I'm aware.

It was wild enough overnight to wake me, so I'm not really buying the whole non-event for the east coast commentary that seems to be gaining legs tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Some interesting data from the Marine buoys, The AMETS buoy off Mayo average 59kn max gust 97kn at present, and the M3 Buoy showing max wave heights of 9m @ 0800

it is getting more and more ferocious out here. Terrifying gusts. Your readings confirm this. Thank you. Just the air shaking is all I can describ e it as. No stability anywhere any more.

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The main roads are fine. But, plenty of debris on the back roads, and some spot flooding on my commute in from North Wicklow. There are tree's down too, but not the main roads as far as I'm aware.

It was wild enough overnight to wake me, so I'm not really buying the whole non-event for the east coast commentary that seems to be gaining legs tbh.

Was fairly wild in Wexford town last night, i was awake on and off, especially around 3. Has to be bad to keep me awake!

Graces7 wrote: »
    it is getting more and more ferocious out here. Terrifying gusts. Your readings confirm this. Thank you. Just the air shaking is all I can describ e it as. No stability anywhere any more.

west mayo offshore island

Should be at its maximum round about now off the Mayo coastline if the HIRLAM predictions are accurate. Expect a decline from midday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Rough night here with some very strong gusts. High winds this morning. Wind still quite loud and trees taking a thrashing.
    Cork Limerick Border

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just driven from Furbo to Oranmore. No traffic & no problems. All the local schools open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Where in Dublin. Their was a few gust of wind and it’s nearly completely died down now.
    It was bad but it was very short lived. It suddenly died down because I presume the wind turned southerly and southerly gales are unheard of in the Dublin area. 5mm overnight and a mild 14.7c now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Should be at its maximum round about now off the Mayo coastline if the HIRLAM predictions are accurate. Expect a decline from midday.

Blissful thought... Had to take the dog out... we ran!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

woke up at 4am with the wind howling here south of Kilkenny city, went d/s to the fridge and looked out the back before hitting the fridge for a coke, wind was from a different direction than the norm, As I got to the fridge, powercut..bugger still got the coke...didnt wake till 9am...wind was and still is blowing a good one...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 martyfurey

CJhaughey wrote: »

Are you sure max gust was 97 knots that is 179kph which seems excessive. I have tried looking up the data. Where can you get the AMETS buoy data. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Not sure where you are getting that?

Storm peaked in Dublin around 2am this morning.
    Synode wrote: »
    Where you seeing that. Everywhere I look is saying about 12/1 am

Where you getting that info peaty?

Worst is passed I think -defer to the real experts to answer that

I was going by this post.. he seemed to know what he was talking about..

463629.jpg

Glad to see now it was outdated info.. wasn't looking forward to worse than last night coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

martyfurey wrote: »
    Are you sure max gust was 97 knots that is 179kph which seems excessive. I have tried looking up the data. Where can you get the AMETS buoy data. Thanks.

I think it is right. Got data here

Looking at it again the two highest gusts are at nearly the opposite directions from the other readings. Is that a sign that they may be incorrect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was absolutely howling during the night here in NW Donegal, not sure what time it woke me up (and the worst is yet to come apparently :eek:)

Not so bad now, but I went outside for a minute, sheltered by the house, and nearly got blown over. Feck that!

All looks all wrong up here, the water and trees/hedges are all blowing the wrong direction as it's not the usual westerly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Got quite breezy last night in Galway, no real damage and disruption was massively curtailed by the timing of the Storm. It seems many may have taken heed of the warning, as traffic in Galway city this morning was one of the lightest Friday mornings I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Pressure is at 978.89 hPa and still slowly dropping in Castlebar, does not look like we will see the peak for another hour or so, still regular gusts of close to 100 km/hr and some higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Got quite breezy last night in Galway, no real damage and disruption was massively curtailed by the timing of the Storm. It seems many may have taken heed of the warning, as traffic in Galway city this morning was one of the lightest Friday mornings I've ever seen.

Yeah the traffic was great this morning -I think most people took the day off and many kids did not go to school. The fact that is was Friday was probably also a factor. Long weekend for many :)

Orange is the new Red

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lashing in cork city st the moment. Not too much damage even though the gusts were pretty severe during the peak hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭jirafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

WT2 buoy off the Mayo coast reported 102 knots gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Wasn't much of an long lived event where I am in Wicklow: 100amsl not far from the coast but had some good winds.

Top gust 85kph
    Top sustained wind 71kph

Sustained wind Average was only ~24kph over the night into this morning so it didn't hit our areas as hard as others.

Correlates to the M2 and M5 bouys data too (though both show higher sustained average of 51 kph)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Wind is actually picking up here again. No where near as bad as last night, but definitely worse than it was a couple hours ago. Lashing rain too. Tipp/Kilkenny border.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

WT2 buoy off the Mayo coast reported 102 knots gusts.

:eek: That's 189 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 33 sevenshades

Extremely heavy rain here just outside Waterford city, sky looks like dusk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,863 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I still can't get my head around 20mm of rain in an hour. If I don't have a 2nd semi retired weather station that gave the same reading I'd have assumed it was a malfunction.

(and what's more I didn't hear a thing!)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Advertisement