Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum - Thursday/Friday 11/12 October 2018 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

12 hour sat track of 'Calum' (Icelandic Met Office)

g2GJXX1.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I agree, Dublin was calm at 2am, at 4am it picked up but wasn't anything we haven't seen before. This kind of weather 10 years ago wouldn't of raised an eyebrow.

We are over sensitive now and the new warning system is a bit OTT

Somehow we have numerous posters going on about how "it wasn't as bad as Ophelia", and yeah, no sh!t!

Ophelia was given a nationwide red level warning, Callum was given a coastal-county ORANGE warning. In other words *nobody ever forecast it to be anywhere near as bad as Ophelia*.

The reason "its no worse than a typical winter storm" is because it WAS a typical winter storm, and an orange warning doesn't suggest otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has the wind changed? went out to look at the ocean which was not dramatic earlier and it is a seething glorious mass of breakers.

Still gusting fierce and loud.
    west mayo offshore

MJohnston wrote: »
    Somehow we have numerous posters going on about how "it wasn't as bad as Ophelia", and yeah, no sh!t!

Ophelia was given a nationwide red level warning, Callum was given a coastal-county ORANGE warning. In other words *nobody ever forecast it to be anywhere near as bad as Ophelia*.

The reason "its no worse than a typical winter storm" is because it WAS a typical winter storm, and an orange warning doesn't suggest otherwise.

we actually did not see Ophelia out here. she turned into the midlands and avoided us..

For me it classes personally as my worst storm stats and experience wise in different ways.

and it is not a contest.. just weather which many here sincerely enjoy and are experts in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Maximum wind gusts (km/h) (so far for Callum at least) for Storm Callum vs Storm Ali in the same style of GL's post for Ali vs Ophelia, from Ogimet synop reports.

For the majority, Ali had stronger maximum wind gusts than Callum but Storm Darwin is still on top out of the 4 for most stations.

aLmxs3L.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

How can you tell what the max gust was at a particular Met station (e.g. Roches Point) during a 24 hour period?

I use this for the synop stations (it doesn't have the likes of Athenry, Newport, etc.)

http://www.ogimet.com/resynops.phtml.en

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Great piece of work there sryanbruen !

Great piece of work there sryanbruen !

as always, and yes re belmullet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Met Éireann tweets them out.

Met Éireann's daily data.

Met Éireann's historical data.

Ogimet synop reports.

That's how I find them out anyway.

I must be missing it, when I go onto MetE site for a particular station I only see their most recent recording for a station. Can you send a link that would give me the windspeeds across a day for say Athenry?

• Advertisement

ASCAT wind measurements from 22:11Z lastnight and 10:20Z this morning. ASCAT measurements tend to underreport strong winds, so add a few knots to the highest vectors shown.

463651.png

463652.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Maximum wind gusts (km/h) (so far for Callum at least) for Storm Callum vs Storm Ali in the same style of GL's post for Ali vs Ophelia, from Ogimet synop reports.

For the majority, Ali had stronger maximum wind gusts.

KSGlUJo.png

I am thinking the very localized Orange warning was bang on so - no station exceeded the 130km threshold and many stations much less than Ali.
    Mace Head really sums up the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Anyone able to modify that table to include Ophelia?

recyclebin wrote: »

I'll edit the post shortly with Ophelia added to it, I'll also add Storm Darwin of February 2014 for good measure.

recyclebin wrote: »

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Waves not as bad as we though they would be this morning in Tramore. The slip wall was knocked in and the prom was covered in debris

https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1050718659503681536

Done.

mayo always was a place apart.... storm callum rages on here..

aLmxs3L.png

It's worth noting:

Storm Callum = Orange warnings around the coast
    Storm Ali = Orange warnings for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry.
    Ophelia = Nationwide Red warning
    Darwin = Red warning for Cork & Kerry, orange for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Limerick, Waterford, yellow for everywhere else.

I believe the warning level system was revised sometime after Darwin though? Certainly they were heavily criticised for not providing enough warning for some counties.

Also regarding Callum, these stations reached Orange level criteria for gusts: Belmullet, Mace Head, Sherkin, Valentia. Roches and Finner Camp are borderline.

Anyone know what the max mean winds were?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wow, Callum had stronger winds than Ophelia, Darwin and Ali in Belmullet!

For much of the country, bar the extreme west coast, its Ali that seems to stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

aLmxs3L.png

Great work once again.

Puts it in perspective .

Nothing much here in Sligo.

Maybe afternoon but its sunny now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i know sw donegal is supposed to get hit this afternoon but to be honest its a great day breeezy but nothing out of the ordinary strongest gust i measured was 6am and that wasnt significant.

if you're getting battered stay safe !

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

It's worth noting:

Storm Callum = Orange warnings around the coast
    Storm Ali = Orange warnings for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare and Kerry.
    Ophelia = Nationwide Red warning
    Darwin = Red warning for Cork & Kerry, orange for Wexford, Galway, Mayo, Clare, Limerick, Waterford, yellow for everywhere else.

I believe the warning level system was revised sometime after Darwin though? Certainly they were heavily criticised for not providing enough warning for some counties.

Also regarding Callum, these stations reached Orange level criteria for gusts: Belmullet, Mace Head, Sherkin, Valentia. Roches and Finner Camp are borderline.

Didn't the station in Sherkin lose power at the height of Ophelia?
    I think there would have been a gust similar or even higher than that recorded at Roches point for Ophelia in Sherkin if the station stayed online for the whole storm.

Met Éireann used to report the max mean speeds in each hourly synop report but for some reason stopped doing so a couple of years ago.

Met Éireann used to report the max mean speeds in each hourly synop report but for some reason stopped doing so a couple of years ago.

I guess we'll have to wait for the daily report tomorrow then?

i know sw donegal is supposed to get hit this afternoon but to be honest its a great day breeezy but nothing out of the ordinary strongest gust i measured was 6am and that wasnt significant.

if you're getting battered stay safe !

they said noon then 4 pm... sooner or later..

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

463662.jpg

(Pic by Tina Schley)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Graces7 wrote: »
    they said noon then 4 pm... sooner or later..
    probably get battered as soon a i leave the office then !

Bright blue skies now !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Didn't the station in Sherkin lose power at the height of Ophelia?
    I think there would have been a gust similar or even higher than that recorded at Roches point for Ophelia in Sherkin if the station stayed online for the whole storm.

Sting jet formed out to sea and took dead aim at sherkin. The station lost power right at the start of the storm. I reckon we definitely would have seen a higher gust there had power remained

• Advertisement

probably get battered as soon a i leave the office then !

Bright blue skies now !

Yes, the sun is trying very hard to emerge from the clouds.... Callum is intent on staying around as long as he can... stamping his big feet.. the orange alert ends in 40 minutes,,,

Advertisement