Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should a casual sub have to do S & S

• 07-10-2018 10:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am working for 2 weeks as a casual sub in a school covering a sick leave.

It's only for 12 hours teaching as the teacher has an A post and one of her groups is being taught by a student teacher so I dont have them.

The teacher has told me that I have to do her S&S and yard duty but should I be paid for this when just a casual sub, I taught I should just get paid for the hours taught?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I've done S&S when subbing before but always with the limited hope it will at least portray me as a team player and not a troublemaker to mgt which might be useful in picking up more subbing. not sure it actually did make difference but hey?
    I do think somewhere in some circular subs are meant to do the S&S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am working for 2 weeks as a casual sub in a school covering a sick leave.

It's only for 12 hours teaching as the teacher has an A post and one of her groups is being taught by a student teacher so I dont have them.

The teacher has told me that I have to do her S&S and yard duty but should I be paid for this when just a casual sub, I taught I should just get paid for the hours taught?

It’s part of the teaching contract now so yes you will be doing it
    Regarding the student teachers hours ........you are taking over the teachers timetable . The teacher gets paid for them when student teacher is there and so should you
    If for any reason the student teacher failed to turn up for a timetabled class you would be expected to take it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Yeah, I've done lots of subbing before and when working as a non-casual sub (eg covering a maternity leave) its given and I accept that I should do the S&S but never before when working as a casual sub have I been asked to do the S&S. Casual subs are paid per hour worked and not salaried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

km79 wrote: »
    It’s part of the teaching contract now so yes you will be doing it
    Regarding the student teachers hours ........you are taking over the teachers timetable . The teacher gets paid for them when student teacher is there and so should you
    If for any reason the student teacher failed to turn up for a timetabled class you would be expected to take it

The OP is working as a casual sub for 2 weeks and is not teaching those classes so why would they get paid for them? They only get paid for the classes they teach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

The OP is working as a casual sub for 2 weeks and is not teaching those classes so why would they get paid for them? They only get paid for the classes they teach.

I suppose when you have a PME you're still technically responsible for the classes if you're down on paper as their teacher. PME is just an ad-hoc arrangement which the dept knows nothing of.
    I get the impression that the OP has taken over the sick person's full timetable also.
    There's probably some circular about S&S and subs somewhere, or else it's a case of anything goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

I suppose when you have a PME you're still technically responsible for the classes if you're down on paper as their teacher. PME is just an ad-hoc arrangement which the dept knows nothing of.
    I get the impression that the OP has taken over the sick person's full timetable also.
    There's probably some circular about S&S and subs somewhere, or else it's a case of anything goes.

This ^
    In every situation I’ve ever seen the whole timetable has been taken over
    Even if it’s a one day absence and the supervision rota is used the teachers entire timetable will be covered
    If you are called for a period where there is a PME student in operation then happy days ! But the rota will have these periods covered just in case ............

The PME student could have a teaching council number and be getting paid for the classes they have.

A teacher might have two unrelated subjects on their timetable, eg music and geography and a sub hired to cover just one of them, rather than say a teacher who teaches biology and junior science

Op said they are covering a particular teacher. Id take that to mean all their classes, so I doubt they'd pay the op and a PME.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I think the school wants to have their cake and eat it by not paying me for the classes that a PME student is teaching but expecting me to do S & S for free, dont you agree?

I'd happily do the S & S for free if I was being paid for the classes being taken by the PME. They essentially want me to do 2 hours plus a week free S & S when I'm only been paid for 12.

Jane98 wrote: »
    I think the school wants to have their cake and eat it by not paying me for the classes that a PME student is teaching but expecting me to do S & S for free, dont you agree?

I'd happily do the S & S for free if I was being paid for the classes being taken by the PME. They essentially want me to do 2 hours plus a week free S & S when I'm only been paid for 12.

Ok didn't realise you weren't getting paid for the pme work.

To the letter of the law the school will be receiving sub pay for every class the teacher is out for.... so you could query them on that ( and burn your bridges in with the school)

Or

They could be paying you out of discretionary lump sum hours... and just pay you what you work and you have zero responsibility for the PME classes.

I'd just do it. It's only 2 weeks so S&S shouldn't amount to much... have you been called for substitution many times so far?

• Advertisement

Op said they are covering a particular teacher. Id take that to mean all their classes, so I doubt they'd pay the op and a PME.

But if you’re a casual sub you get paid for the classes you cover and no more. The OP is covering 12 hours so should only get paid for 12 hours. There is no contract with casual subbing.

Incidentally we had a teacher leave for another job last week. We have a sub in covering her main subject which is 14-16 hours of her timetable. There is another teacher covering the remaining classes as the sub doesn’t have the second subject. Casually subbing for a teacher doesn’t mean you automatically get all their hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I suppose the key thing is, is did the casual hourly rate increase when the S&S money was added to our pay scales? If not then a casual sub should not be asked to do S&S. It would be very easy for subs to be taken advantage of and difficult for them to stick to their max of 3 hours per week and 43 hours per year if in several schools a week.

Personally I've only ever seen a casual sub asked to do break or lunch supervision but never to cover a class under S&S. And even then only rarely.

Advertisement