Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should you plan to live in your first home?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

M.Cribben wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to receiving nearly half the housing stock in Ireland (over a million homes) for free as they have no value. Where do I sign up?

Never heard such rubbish in all my life.

I take it you didn't give the video a once over.
    They have very flexible zoning laws and planning laws.
    They build very dense timber frame housing, so i assume its low cost to build.
    The primary cost is in the land itself, while the house might be a depreciating asset, the land isn't. Which isn't exactly a bad idea and is a good reason why our property tax was flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I take it you didn't give the video a once over.
    They have very flexible zoning laws and planning laws.
    They build very dense timber frame housing, so i assume its low cost to build.
    The primary cost is in the land itself, while the house might be a depreciating asset, the land isn't. Which isn't exactly a bad idea and is a good reason why our property tax was flawed.

Even our houses are depreciating assets. You have to spend money on maintenance all the time to avoid deterioration, and you will inevitably end up with something that isn't as desirable as a new build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Deviso wrote: »
    If something is good value with low repayments buy it. I'm looking to buy a 2 bed in a few years. Repayments will be around 700 a month.

Rent currently is 1500 for the same apartment.

Location is important.

Need to buy somewhere that wouldn't be massively affected by a recession.

Back in the crash, it was next to impossible to let accommodation in some areas.

Even in larger cities there was a lot of accommodation available to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Whoever came up with the phrase ‘forever home’ deserves to be shot in the face with pellets of their own frozen shyte.

Advertisement