Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to LCA?

Options
  • 07-10-2018 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I wanna ask am I making a bad decision if I move to LCA right now, from traditional LC.

I read about it online today, and I think it suits me better than traditional LC, looked at some PLC courses. Im not the best at sitting down and studying something every night. I did TY and I enjoyed doing projects and assessments the work experience was great as well and I enjoyed working. The first one I did was in an office the 2nd one in PC World retail. I thought LCA was just for stupid people like everyone says in my school, but I dont think that anymore. This year was actually the biggest LCA class that was formed in our school. I think the LCA program in my school isint that bad.

The only thing im intrested in doing in IT/ computer science, nothing else really interest me.
    I already got put in ordinary English Irish and math. My school is an ambassador for the new Computer science subject that's coming in, and this is the only subject Im interested in and understand, and is also pretty easy. The rest dont interest me and I know I wont do well in them. I also picked accounting thinking it would be interesting but I was wrong. It's just so hard and frustrating. So Im just thinking if I move to LCA do a PLC course and then go into some sort of an IT/CS course would that be better than stressing about the LC and doing bad. Because I will not do good in the exam's if I do LC im not the smartest out there. Hoping for spurious to respond, because hes the most active here.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not in the country at the moment, but if you switch to LCA now you have already missed some of your final marks. They can probably overcome this in your school, but make sure they run a good LCA. I will do a longer reply when I get home.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Talk to your LCA coordinator. Make sure you do as well as you possibly can in your Maths assignments in LCA. Your PLC course will have an option to do a Maths module acceptable to IT courses.

I am a huge fan of the LCA when it is treated seriously. Sounds like your school might be one of the few good ones. You will be beside people with the standard LC in your PLC course and better prepared for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 iusha12

Im having an Interview with my schools Carrier/guidance counselor. Too see what my plans are for the future. and what suits me. Ill see how that goes.

iusha12 wrote: »
    Im having an Interview with my schools Carrier/guidance counselor. Too see what my plans are for the future. and what suits me. Ill see how that goes.

Sorry I didn't reply properly to this before.

Go into your interview with the careers person prepared.
    Make sure you know as much, or more than they do about the route you plan to take. From queries here and speaking to students, many careers people haven't a clue when it comes to the whole PLC entry path, especially in schools where the LCA is poorly run, or not many students choose the PLC route, only finding about it when 'things go wrong'.
    • Get the code(s) of the IT/Computer courses you wish to do.
    • Check do they have a FETAC/QQI/PLC entry path.
    • If they do, check are there any directly linked PLCs, or if not, what modules are necessary.
    • Check your locally offered PLCs to find ones that are either linked or offer the right modules.

If you want to PM me your general location and the courses you would like to do, I will help you.

Advertisement