Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regular very slow downloads (< 1MBPS) on 2.4GhZ, FTTH

Options
  • 07-10-2018 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm regularly (noticing this every couple of days) getting very slow download (and very slow upload). Often a router restart fixes the problem (although, this is not acceptable as a solution). Today, even several restarts is not fixing the issue and I'm getting between .5MBPS and 3MBPS download speeds, making anything other than viewing basic webpages, a waste of time.

It's FTTH, and the modem is the F2000.

I'm using 2.4 GHz, and my devices are very close to the router, about 3 metres away. None of my devices are doing anything when idle, this isn't anything to do with the number of devices connected or a bandwidth issue.

If I switch to 5 GHz, everything appears to be fine. But this is not a solution as I want to use 2.4GHz, and the router should be reliable enough to pick the proper channels, etc. Plus, not all my devices support 5GHz. I would like to know why this is occurring, and to be given a suitable solution.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

rat_race wrote: »
    Hi, I'm regularly (noticing this every couple of days) getting very slow download (and very slow upload). Often a router restart fixes the problem (although, this is not acceptable as a solution). Today, even several restarts is not fixing the issue and I'm getting between .5MBPS and 3MBPS download speeds, making anything other than viewing basic webpages, a waste of time.

It's FTTH, and the modem is the F1000.

I'm using 2.4 GHz, and my devices are very close to the router, about 3 metres away. None of my devices are doing anything when idle, this isn't anything to do with the number of devices connected or a bandwidth issue.

If I switch to 5 GHz, everything appears to be fine. But this is not a solution as I want to use 2.4GHz, and the router should be reliable enough to pick the proper channels, etc. Plus, not all my devices support 5GHz. I would like to know why this is occurring, and to be given a suitable solution.

Thank you.

Get a wireless analyser app for your smartphone to see what wireless channels are in use nearby and login to your router and change to one well away from them. Take it off auto, set the channel manually

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Best thing is go buy a good Access Point, plug it into the F2000, then disable wifi on the F2000

Or go buy a router that can do all the above in one box

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭rat_race

It's FTTH, and the modem is the F1000.

Thank you.

Get a wireless analyser app for your smartphone to see what wireless channels are in use nearby and login to your router and change to one well away from them. Take it off auto, set the channel manually
    Actually, I did this right after sending my message anyway. I didn't even bother before because I thought a router such as the F2000, in 2018, when set to "auto", would pick a sensible channel.

My analyzer found 4 or 5 other routers, all on channel 6. Mine was set to 6. Why would the F2000 pick channel 6, when every other router nearby is on 6 too? How is that "auto"? It's ridiculous. Most of the others were Eir too -- go figure.

It fixed the problem, though. But now if someone changes theirs to 11, etc., we will have the problem again. I need a reliable connection without my constant intervention.

Can Eir please address this issue: why is "auto" picking the worst option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

It's FTTH, and the modem is the F2000.

Thank you.
    Hi rat_race, 

I'm sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you are having with your service, I understand this is frustrating. 

The best people to report this too is our support team on 1890 260, they be able to advise you further on this and troubleshoot with you to idenitfy the issues. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement