Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference in Pharmacy prices

Options
  • 07-10-2018 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I got a prescription dispensed in a pharmacy in Kinnegad costing 47.90e. I got the very same one yesterday in my local pharmacy for 37.20e. A difference of 10.70e. One item. Actually it was the very same script that could be used twice. Can anyone explain this!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Shop around for value. Prescriptions/dispensing charges are no different to any other product.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Well, 10.70e is some difference for the exact same item!! I wont be visiting that particular pharmacy again!! Its very hard go to a pharmacy with a script & ask "how much will this cost" then out the door & off to another. This pharmacy is probably very expensive with all their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Addle wrote: »
    Shop around for value. Prescriptions/dispensing charges are no different to any other product.

This times 100 :-)

I was a regular customer of a certain pharmacy in Athlone for years. More out of habit than anything as I was on a long term monthly repeat prescription for medication, and its where my parents would always have got their prescriptions etc. so I just followed on from there.

Some years, around Christmas, they used to give me my prescription "free" as a thank you for being a good customer ... could never figure out how they could dish them out for free but I was glad of the savings.

Fast forward many years and another pharmacy opened much nearer my house. 1 evening I wasnt able to get into town so I decided to give the new place a try ... exact same meds as every other month but they charged €20 less. I even went back and queried if they had miscalculated but nope, that was their price.
    So doing the math, it looked like for years my regular place were over charging to the tune of €240 a year which meant my "bonus" month was already well and truly paid for in advance!

Advertisement