Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 PDC World Darts Championship (inc. schedule of play in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭testtech05

Fair play mvg battered him but Anderson had a good chance to win that last set. Could have made it slightly more interesting.
    MVG was unplayable for long stages there.
    Anderson's first darts were all dropping short which was a bit unusual so he just couldn't get the scoring going then.

MVG didn't forget to mention his record against Smith ahead of the final :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I've been working my nuts off! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Wonder what odds you would have gotten on the higher average across the 2 players being in the Smith-aspinall game!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Hopefully Smith v MVG is a cracker, I think we're due a good final after an average tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

How many darts players could beat Gary Anderson like that? If Smith can get off to a flyer tomorrow, maybe it can be competitive, but hitting doubles with mvg on a finish behind you might be more of a challenge to him. Also, we've seen a few players overwhelmed by reaching the quarters and semis, it's Smith's first world final....how will he cope with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Such a letdown. Feared it would be. As good as MvG was, Ando was way off. His average looked decent but he barely threw a dart at double for the first 5 sets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Dunno has there ever been a more lacklustre knockouts once we got to the last 8. That 6-3 was probably the most entertaining match of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Such an anticlimax.

Gary’s scoring wasn’t there. Threw away chances to go 5-2 and have the darts in the next set.

MVG was class early doors and once he gets a lead he’s next to impossible to peg back.

Smith will need a massive average early to keep tabs on him. Hard to see him keeping the pressure up in a world final though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Smith looked excellent today, but his opponent was obviously on a completely different level than MvG. His highest checkout was 70 or something like that.

What are the odds on MvG winning? I'm normally not a gambling man, but... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

Feel a bit for Anderson, and while the overall tournament has been a little below average, we've got the the two best players over the last two weeks in the final. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I've been working my nuts off! :-)
    Pair that with Michael Smith's Ostrich egg and we might have a meal on our hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

MvG favourite to win tomorrow, PP tipping a 7-3 scoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

MvG favourite to win tomorrow, PP tipping a 7-3 scoreline.

Aye MvG is a big favourite for me his record against Smith is 25-6 and he's only lost in minor and non-ranking tournies. Its hard to go out in your first big final and not let it get to you, though Cross managed it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Looking at Smith's reaction tonight he's played his final
    But... maybe a bit like the golfer who shoots 64 in the third round, MVG might struggle to repeat that again on Tuesday
    So the best we can hope for is MVG on an off night and Smith plays out of his skin and it's a great match...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Very disappointing tournament overall probably worst ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Very disappointing tournament overall probably worst ever.

Its No.1 v No.10 (soon to be No.6 in the world) in the WC final, is hardly disappointing, and a long way from worst ever.

Considering we had (11th Seed) Part (92.86) v (colllected 12 stamps off frosties) Shepherd (85.10) in the 2008 final.

I will concede its definitely not memorable at this point, and does have a long way to go to get there.

We are in the Post-Taylor era, while I was not his biggest fan personally, you can not dispute what he brought to the game; maybe we have been spoiled over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

7-2 or 7-3 to mvg in final.

Healio wrote: »
    Its No.1 v No.10 (soon to be No.6 in the world) in the WC final, is hardly disappointing, and a long way from worst ever.

Considering we had (11th Seed) Part (92.86) v (colllected 12 stamps off frosties) Shepherd (85.10) in the 2008 final.

I will concede its definitely not memorable at this point, and does have a long way to go to get there.

We are in the Post-Taylor era, while I was not his biggest fan personally, you can not dispute what he brought to the game; maybe we have been spoiled over the last few years.

Rob Cross was probably ranked around 40 before last years final? Rankings in the final have nothing to do with how disappointing the tournament has been overall. If your going that route, smith hasn't faced anyone in the top 20 to make the final. That match against aspinall is massively overrated it was easy work for smith .

Theres not been any standout moments at all.

you can only play whats put in front of you,and also says a great deal about talent and young players coming through when you see how many seeds fell early.could be a freak one off in that regard but only the future will tell that story.

Rob Cross was probably ranked around 40 before last years final? Rankings in the final have nothing to do with how disappointing the tournament has been overall. If your going that route, smith hasn't faced anyone in the top 20 to make the final. That match against aspinall is massively overrated it was easy work for smith .

I do not dispute any of this. I was referring back to your "worst WC ever" comment, and merely tried to point out that, in 2008 had it not been for Taylor reaching the QF, that was (and probably is still the worst WC ever). Again opinion is a matter of taste.

Theres not been any standout moments at all.

I have also conceded this point already.

• Advertisement

i also see gary anderson retiring in the not so distant future ;)

I do not dispute any of this. I was referring back to your "worst WC ever" comment, and merely tried to point out that, in 2008 had it not been for Taylor reaching the QF, that was (and probably is still the worst WC ever). Again opinion is a matter of taste.

Sorry I didn't mean flat out worst world championship ever, as that's pure opinion not fact. This year is definetley up there with the worst tho. It'll soon be forgotten about.

Sorry I didn't mean flat out worst world championship ever, as that's pure opinion not fact. This year is defintley up there with the worst tho. It'll soon be forgotten about.

Will agree here again, only thing i'll probably remember is who lifts the trophy, and that two women?? played in it :pac:

its been great for big ryan joyce,young aspinall and the chap searle this is what this sport is all about making ordinary folk realise the can make a living from this game we call darts,sure it be more boring if the top players dominated from start to finish.so come on fella,s what do you,s want......................................

bassy wrote: »
    its been great for big ryan joyce,young aspinall and the chap searle this is what this sport is all about making ordinary folk realise the can make a living from this game we call darts,sure it be more boring if the top players dominated from start to finish.so come on fella,s what do you,s want......................................

Yeah that happens most years. Last year we had Van den Berg, Jamie Lewis and Rob Cross. The overall tournament has been a disappointment for most ever since the draw was made we knew the bottom half was muck an top half would be mvg ando semi final. The shocks weren't even that shocking. Anyway I'll enjoy watching the final should be game of the tournament even if we already know who wins.

The Smith v MvG at the grandslam a few weeks ago was unbelievable

I agree here, I vaguely heard of Aspinall, Searle & Joyce are well out of leftfield.

Commercially, I am interested to see where the PDC go with the format next year, I cant remember the poster earlier in the thread, who said the best of 5 format is a huge boost to the non-ranked players, while I silently agreed, I didnt think it would have such the impact (4 in a QF and Dobey missing match darts).

Not sure how much scalabilty is left for the PDC in the World, but personally would rather see the participants shortened from 96 to 64 but the length of matches extended in the early rounds:

R1: Best of 4
    R2: Best of 5
    R3: Best of 7
    QF: Best of 9
    SF: Best of 11
    Final: Best of 13

Perhaps in conjuction with de-seeding the draw (maybe keep Top 4 separate), based on the fact I havent seen the place empty in 11 years.

whats the bets wade will be in the premier league aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

whats the bets wade will be in the premier league aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Current Top 10 http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Rankings.aspx:

Rank Player Country Prize
    1 Michael van Gerwen Netherlands +£1,203,500
    2 Rob Cross England £785,750
    3 Peter Wright Scotland £677,500
    4 Gary Anderson Scotland +£580,000
    5 Daryl Gurney Northern Ireland £539,250
    6 Michael Smith England +£405,500
    7 Gerwyn Price Wales £404,750
    8 Mensur Suljovic Austria £389,750
    9 Simon Whitlock Australia £350,750
    10 James Wade England £341,000

Uh-oh!!!

Current Top 10:

Rank Player Country Prize
    1 Michael van Gerwen Netherlands +£1,203,500
    2 Rob Cross England £785,750
    3 Peter Wright Scotland £677,500
    4 Gary Anderson Scotland +£580,000
    5 Daryl Gurney Northern Ireland £539,250
    6 Michael Smith England +£405,500
    7 Gerwyn Price Wales £404,750
    8 Mensur Suljovic Austria £389,750
    9 Simon Whitlock Australia £350,750
    10 James Wade England £341,000

Uh-oh!!!

don,t forget barney army barney,seems there rolling back the years instead of going forward.

• Advertisement

don,t forget barney army barney,seems there rolling back the years instead of going forward.

If he gets in, let alone his fellow pro's, I'll be on strike as well.

Advertisement