Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 PDC World Darts Championship (inc. schedule of play in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

Healio wrote: »
    If he gets in, let alone his fellow pro's, I'll be on strike as well.

i bet you he will because its hes swansong last year and ever popular with the fans lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Barney's a certainty to be in it, probably why he announced his retirement so far out. Most likely instead of Whitlock

Mvg
    Cross
    Wright
    Ando
    Price
    Smith
    Suljovic
    Gurney
    Wade
    Barney

Thats probably it. Wade won 2 TV tournaments so will most likely be in .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭Degag

SlickRic wrote: »
    This is it.

Nobody beats MVG's best.

Nobody.

People can talk about peak Taylor all they like. Yes, he had the mind games. Yes, he'd pull every trick possible.

But he doesn't beat a 109 average at over 60% on doubles over 6 sets.
    While i cant really disagree with you cause what i saw from MVG last night is up there with the best darts i've ever seen i think it's slightly unfair on Taylor. He never had the same level of oposition for the majority of his career that MVG currently has so never really had to raise it to the standards MVG has had to.

But - he was certainly capable of huge averages back in the day - in the 2001 World Final he averaged 107 and i think i remember reading somewhere was 87.5% on doubles.

Healio wrote: »
    Current Top 10 http://www.dartsdatabase.co.uk/Rankings.aspx:

Rank Player Country Prize
    1 Michael van Gerwen Netherlands +£1,203,500
    2 Rob Cross England £785,750
    3 Peter Wright Scotland £677,500
    4 Gary Anderson Scotland +£580,000
    5 Daryl Gurney Northern Ireland £539,250
    6 Michael Smith England +£405,500
    7 Gerwyn Price Wales £404,750
    8 Mensur Suljovic Austria £389,750
    9 Simon Whitlock Australia £350,750
    10 James Wade England £341,000

Uh-oh!!!

Smith would go No. 2 in the world if he wins so by my reckoning.

My reckoning being that the above includes his winnings up to the semi-final stage - - i.e. 100k and the extra 400k would put him ahead of Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Degag wrote: »

My reckoning being that the above includes his winnings up to the semi-final stage - - i.e. 100k and the extra 400k would put him ahead of Cross.

The prize money doesn’t stack?

• Advertisement

Hell also lose whatever he won at 2017 world champs ? Cross the only player not defending money as he didn't play in 2017

Hell also lose whatever he won at 2017 world champs ? Cross the only player not defending money as he didn't play in 2017
    Oh perhaps. I presumed that the 2017 money was already removed.

Oh perhaps. I presumed that the 2017 money was already removed.

Its not removed yet but you're right, smith would go 2 if he wins. Here's a good chart of what the rankings will look like . few different scenario's as its from 2 days ago.

While i cant really disagree with you cause what i saw from MVG last night is up there with the best darts i've ever seen i think it's slightly unfair on Taylor. He never had the same level of oposition for the majority of his career that MVG currently has so never really had to raise it to the standards MVG has had to.

But - he was certainly capable of huge averages back in the day - in the 2001 World Final he averaged 107 and i think i remember reading somewhere was 87.5% on doubles.

He’ll have to win a lot more, and for many years to come, to match Taylor’s achievements.

It’s possible that MvG has more talent, but it’s a bit like saying Rodgers is a more talented quarterback than Brady. Brady is the GOAT for many not just because of his talent, which he undoubtedly has, but in addition factors like his relentless strive for success, his focus, his longetivity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,380 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

This tournament being over 4x the money of other tournaments really skews the rankings.
    Aspinall's semi-final place here gives him more points than someone who gets to the semi-finals of The Matchplay, Grand Prix, Grand Slam and UK Open.

They really should 'weight' each tournament like other sports to do rather than just adding up the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 dave699

MVG is been pushed harder than Taylor ever was. Its made him a better player than Taylor but is also why he will not win as much as Taylor did.
    Never really liked Taylor but he was some man to stay on top for so long. These young lads don't care about playing the likes of mvg. Most people were beat before the game with taylor

Its harder hit those ridiculous averages when your not under any pressure to do so. Taylor could keep it going leg on leg too. Mvg has busts of 5 or 6 legs . Can't stand Taylor but theres no denying what he did. It'd be like mvg averaging 120 most games now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Its harder hit those ridiculous averages when your not under any pressure to do so. Taylor could keep it going leg on leg too. Mvg has busts of 5 or 6 legs . Can't stand Taylor but theres no denying what he did. It'd be like mvg averaging 120 most games now

I'd imagine it's the opposite,easier to hit them when your relaxed under little pressure,like practice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭munster87

The highest averages usually seem to be hit when both players are playing well, pushing each other on basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,260 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

my league picks

top 4
    1 MVG
    2 Rob Cross
    3 Peter Wright
    4 Gary Anderson

5 Daryl Gurney
    6 Gerwyn Price
    7 Michael Smith
    8 RVB
    9 James Wade
    10 Dave Chisnall

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dave699

Hope wade misses out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

dave699 wrote: »
    Hope wade misses out

me to,but i bet he will be in.

bassy wrote: »
    me to,but i bet he will be in.

Winning a title prob unofficially gets u in

He's marketable 'the darts baddie' etc

Went to it Dublin night the last few years giving it a rest this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

I'd imagine it's the opposite,easier to hit them when your relaxed under little pressure,like practice

I remarked in the pub three sets in of MVG v Joyce, that MVG looked phyiscally bored, he knew he'd get through it with 16/17/18 dart legs.

For him to turn it around the next night and smoke Anderson; that is unbelieveable; playing devil's advocate, Taylor never had to do that.

How many 110+ averages have we seen him put in just because he knows he's gonna win and wants the high average ,works both ways really

• Advertisement

Having looked it up, you're probably right.

Taylors record average is 118 in a 10 nil whooping of Painter. Van Gerwens highest is 123 in a 7-1 whooping of Smith.

Averages are funny, Taylor lost 6-0 to Darren Webster even though he averaged 110.

For any casual fans who only really see the world championship, have a watch of this. Both averaging 116 after 20 legs. The best game I've ever seen scoring wise

https://youtu.be/BB8GrKtZwaE

Only other one I can think of where both had huge average was mvg v barney at the worlds a few years ago barney had highest ever losing average.

Its a wonder how many of the guys who done so well (Searle, Humphries, Aspinall, Joyce) and others will do in the 219/20 championship with how deadly the new format is ??

Luck of the draw is the big one as we've seen with Dolan this year

Said it before but I'll say again,peak aidy Lewis is as good as mvg/Ando/Taylor , such a shame he's fallen so far away..still young enough to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

First final since 1983 where both players are under 30

Think Smith is older too

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

It's going to be a cracking final tonight, with both players over the 100 average. Both missing very little, until they are tied 4-4 a piece.

Both will then miss a few doubles and I can see Smith winning it, 7-5 with a ton out, finishing on the bull.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

What time is kick off tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Liamalone wrote: »
    What time is kick off tonight?

8.15 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Really hoping for a good game. I'm a casual fan at best but it's been a very forgettable tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Gotya wrote: »
    It's going to be a cracking final tonight, with both players over the 100 average. Both missing very little, until they are tied 4-4 a piece.

Both will then miss a few doubles and I can see Smith winning it, 7-5 with a ton out, finishing on the bull.

:)

But surely if MVG is in his semi-final form Smith won't be able to live with him?

Advertisement