Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mink Killing Hens in SAC Area - Help Please

Options
  • 07-10-2018 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I've been searching the net for advice on live trapping mink, but have got only bits and pieces, most applying to the US, not Ireland.

I have a mink killing my chickens, at night and in the middle of the day whilst I am in the garden making noise ! It is not shy at all and I was even able to snap a photo of it whilst it was staring at me grrrr

It first arrived 2 nights ago :(

I need to get rid of it very fast, for the sake of the rest of my chickens and the birds etc around the place. I assume it won't go for my pet cats ?

I have a mid sized live catch 'rat cage' for multiple rats, but I'm thinking it's not big enough maybe ? Although the mink looks pretty small...and could defo fit in it if it wanted to. I am using tinned tuna and cooked leftover chicken in it. I have placed it next to the tunnel it dug to get into one of my hens it killed. I left the chicken body there so it keeps coming back to try and get the hen out of the pen lol The hen is way to fat to fit through it's tunnel. Anyway, I'm hoping it comes back and eventually goes into the trap.

I haven't disguised the trap at all. Should I ? I

I am truly expecting to wake up tomorrow to find the rest of my hens and my cockerel killed even though I have tried my best to fortify their sleeping houses.

I'm intending to contact the NPWS early tomorrow morning, to see what they are do, as I live on a SAC area and the mink is obviously ravaging the wildfowl I'd guess !

Any help would be wonderful please, anyone

Amanda (between Gort and Kinvara, Clare-Galway border).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Richard308

You can buy a mink trap from Maceoin’s in ballydavid Tralee. Put fish head in it. Trap and then kill it. Not protected animal
    NatureGirl wrote: »
    I've been searching the net for advice on live trapping mink, but have got only bits and pieces, most applying to the US, not Ireland.

I have a mink killing my chickens, at night and in the middle of the day whilst I am in the garden making noise ! It is not shy at all and I was even able to snap a photo of it whilst it was staring at me grrrr

It first arrived 2 nights ago :(

I need to get rid of it very fast, for the sake of the rest of my chickens and the birds etc around the place. I assume it won't go for my pet cats ?

I have a mid sized live catch 'rat cage' for multiple rats, but I'm thinking it's not big enough maybe ? Although the mink looks pretty small...and could defo fit in it if it wanted to. I am using tinned tuna and cooked leftover chicken in it. I have placed it next to the tunnel it dug to get into one of my hens it killed. I left the chicken body there so it keeps coming back to try and get the hen out of the pen lol The hen is way to fat to fit through it's tunnel. Anyway, I'm hoping it comes back and eventually goes into the trap.

I haven't disguised the trap at all. Should I ? I

I am truly expecting to wake up tomorrow to find the rest of my hens and my cockerel killed even though I have tried my best to fortify their sleeping houses.

I'm intending to contact the NPWS early tomorrow morning, to see what they are do, as I live on a SAC area and the mink is obviously ravaging the wildfowl I'd guess !

Any help would be wonderful please, anyone

Amanda (between Gort and Kinvara, Clare-Galway border).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,021 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Living in a SAC area should make no difference as [1] It is killing your domestic fowl and [2] Mink aint protected here under the Wildlife acts.
    So have at it.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Czhornet

Leave something heavy on top to stabilise it, (a mink will be reluctant to go into it if it moves under his feet) and be careful that it doesn't interfere with the closing mechanism!
    I try to cover mine, even if it is with twigs and loose leafy material, can be very inviting to an inquisitive mink to go in for a look when they cant see the cage/bars in front of them.

PM if you need further help!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Brontosaurus

I'd contact the NPWS first, and make very sure it's a Mink and not a Pine Marten. Pine Marten are protected. I don't mean to sound condescending, but I've heard and seen people confuse the two a lot despite looking very different.

It would help at least getting good picture or video of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I'd contact the NPWS first, and make very sure it's a Mink and not a Pine Marten. Pine Marten are protected. I don't mean to sound condescending, but I've heard and seen people confuse the two a lot despite looking very different.

It would help at least getting good picture or video of it.
    Op said they took a picture so no need to call npws, just stick the picture up here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 NatureGirl

By the way, I have ended up not keeping chickens because of the continuous problem of predators around here. I could not let them free range, and keeping them in small ish runs was not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

On the SAC's near me in North Mayo, NPWS r employing trappers to do work seasonally on mink. Might be worth inquiring if they can do something similar where you are

Advertisement