Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on planting acorns and chestnuts

Options
  • 07-10-2018 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭

Have collected some of each, which I want to plant, initially in pots.

When is a good time to do it: I know they are slow growers but just want to do it!

Any soil/compost suggestions?
    Thanks as always.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they'll send down an initial tap root of about six inches IIRC so use deep pots - narrow deep pots should be fine.
    soil - normal soil, they're not fussy from my experience.

you obviously have a bit of space to be considering trees which grow so large? (caveat: i first grew them from seed when living in a house with a 200 square foot back yard).

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

Tetra Pak cartons (milk or whatever) are good for the first year or so of growth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Have oak, chestnut, beech, etc myself .... All bonsai'd !! No problems with space.

+1 with deep pots.
    As with all pots, be careful with watering. Pots dry out very quickly.

Plant / pot more than you need. Not all will germinate, and not all that do will make it through first few years.

Good luck!

Advertisement