Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle holiday in France ?

Options
  • 07-10-2018 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Evenings are darker and minds are wandering...this year we hit Bourg dOisin and it was brilliant for our group of 16 fairly strong climbers, but tbh in no way suitable for leisure club cyclists.
    The club would like to offer a June break preferably in France with climbs and some scenic flattish routes to cater for more leisurely spins to accommodate all levels.
    So where do we go..criteria is suitable for all but with some category one climbs for others, and a reasonable level of accommodation/ value for money as it's possibly 30 plus interested.
    We will probably bring our own bikes separately so no need to configure that into the equation.
    Hit me with it !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Maybe part of Eurovelo 6 I'm only familiar with the western end from Tours or thereabouts to the coast, and that's all pretty flat. The western end towards Besancon is in reach of the Jura so should have some more challenging terrain.

Eurovelo 17 follows the Rhone, so should also be relatively flat and again in reach of high stuff (Ventoux?). It does look like chunks of it are still undeveloped though.

Other option might be somewhere around Toulouse - following along the base of the Pyrenees. Should be flattish routes (for some definition of flat) to be had, and the mountain goats can take the odd right or left turn - depending on whether you're going east or west.

Auvergne is lovely and less obvious but rolling so would possibly be tough going for those that tend more towards the Sunday spin

Finding something to satisfy everybody could be tough as in most parts of France with big mountains things get steep quickly, and the flat bits do tend to be quite flat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

The ViaRhona route is very flat and easy, with many nice towns. Dijon, Beaune, Macon, Lyon, Avignon, Valence, Montelimar....

A tour around the villages and towns of Provence is very accessible, very enjoyable, and the hard core have Ventoux and the Gorges of Verdon just to the East.

Avignon, Isle sur la Sorgue, Bonnieux, Lourmarin and the rest of the Luberon, Marseilles, Nimes, Arles, Uzes...

Both of these are easy flights into Lyon. North to Burgundy, south to Provence. Loads of train options too.

The Loire a Velo is quite/very easy, lots of nice chateaux and towns, but has no major climbs nearby that I can think of. Angers, Tours, Nantes...

Can share komoot or gpx routes if you're bothered, but I just made them up myself, it's very simple to adapt to what the group is up for.

Advertisement