Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best town/village to live Kilkenny

• 08-10-2018 3:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

What would be people’s ideal Village/town to live in outside of Kilkenny City?

In terms of schools, friendly locals, low anti-social behavior, house prices, decent pubs/social activity, sports etc?

I hear good things about Thomastown, Bennettsbridge, Inistioge and Callan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

conor05 wrote: »
    What would be people’s ideal Village/town to live in outside of Kilkenny City?

In terms of schools, friendly locals, low anti-social behavior, house prices, decent pubs/social activity, sports etc?

I hear good things about Thomastown, Bennettsbridge, Inistioge and Callan.

Nirvana ..?

Just down the road from Paradise .........

and the local pub is called the "Nobody Inn"

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 WuckingFanker

greenspurs I have created an account just to say that you are a complete and utter flute

If you don't have anything constructive to say then just keep your mouth hole shut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

greenspurs I have created an account just to say that you are a complete and utter flute

If you don't have anything constructive to say then just keep your mouth hole shut

Are you a mod ?, as well as living up to your name ?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

You got me, I can't come back from that jibe, I shall now retire from Boards.ie forevermore and wonder how Captain greenspurs bested the great WuckingFanker.

Seriously though, some people need info here, don't be a díck all the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Can we cut out the nonsense, please

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Yes

IMHO:

Good Places: Kells / Inistioge

Mediocre: Callan / Castlecomer

Avoid: Ballyragget (no offence to connections)

Depends on a lot of factors OP, are you going to be working/kids to school in Kilkenny City?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

No places really bad around kilkenny, the only thing in places like Inistioge, Graignamangh , Thomastown, Freshford, is flooding other than that they are fine. Find it hard to think Castlecomer is mediocre good community spirit out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Comerman

Joe Daly wrote: »
    No places really bad around kilkenny, the only thing in places like Inistioge, Graignamangh , Thomastown, Freshford, is flooding other than that they are fine. Find it hard to think Castlecomer is mediocre good community spirit out there.
    +1 for Comer

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭conor05

Yes

IMHO:

Good Places: Kells / Inistioge

Mediocre: Callan / Castlecomer

Avoid: Ballyragget (no offence to connections)

Depends on a lot of factors OP, are you going to be working/kids to school in Kilkenny City?

Thanks for the reply.

One will be working in Kilkenny City and the other either in Kilkenny city/Waterford City.
    Kids more than likely go to secondary school in Kilkenny City but they are only 3 and 1 so primary school can be anywhere really.
    Sites and house prices are reasonable around Knocktopher/Ballyhale but are these villages very isolated?
    Inistioge and Bennettsbridge seem good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭kksaints

Thanks for the reply.

One will be working in Kilkenny City and the other either in Kilkenny city/Waterford City.
    Kids more than likely go to secondary school in Kilkenny City but they are only 3 and 1 so primary school can be anywhere really.
    Sites and house prices are reasonable around Knocktopher/Ballyhale but are these villages very isolated?

Not really in fact there are closer to the motorway than Inistioge anyway which could be an advantage if one of ye is working in Waterford. Inistioge is very nice and depending on where you live the flooding can be avoided.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

Ballyhale and Knocktopher -or Bennettsbridge - would seem like a good bet. They have good primary schools and active gaa clubs which is where a lot of the social action seems to center around in rural areas. And very handy for the Waterford commute. I wouldn't count them isolated...but they would be quiet. It depends on what you are used to I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If one is working in Kilkenny and other Waterford then logically somewhere halfway and close to the M9 is what you want. I’d avoid anywhere north of Kilkenny as just too much hsssle.
    Thomastown is a good town to live in, better than Knocktopher or Ballyhale but still only about ten mins from the M9 junction.

road_high wrote: »
    If one is working in Kilkenny and other Waterford then logically somewhere halfway and close to the M9 is what you want. I’d avoid anywhere north of Kilkenny as just too much hsssle.
    Thomastown is a good town to live in, better than Knocktopher or Ballyhale but still only about ten mins from the M9 junction.

Why would you avoid anywhere north of kilkenny what hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭bassy

Why would you avoid anywhere north of kilkenny what hassle.

its further away from waterford for there work,so south kk makes sense.

bassy wrote: »
    its further away from waterford for there work,so south kk makes sense.

Parts of north kilkenny are nearer the m9, than places like graig, inistioge, also you have the m8 which is accessible to nearly all north kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭FrToddUnctious

A Kilkenny->Waterford commute is bad enough, going north again of KK would be lunacy. Definitely look for somewhere between the two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Parts of north kilkenny are nearer the m9, than places like graig, inistioge, also you have the m8 which is accessible to nearly all north kilkenny.

How does the M8 help someone get to Waterford daily for work exactly? That's what the op asked for :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭eoinfitzokk

Look at Bennettsbridge. It is a fairly desirable village (and close to Kilkenny) and a daft search on the housing stock should back it up. School and good enough access to M9.
    You have the trail walk into kilkenny too which adds to the desirability.

After that you have Inistioge and Thomastown with the artsy scene. I'd choose these three over North Kilkenny villages/towns if commuting to Waterford.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thanks for the reply.

For Callan
    Both Secondary and Primary schools available in Callan, Primary school is a new build and gets good reviews generally. Girls secondary has had a lot of money spent on it recently too.
    Given age of kids you might find it useful to know that Callan has two large creches, one is community and one is private.

Link to Kilkenny City is via N76 and is 10miles, the road is pretty good with the bad turns taken out of it during the summer with a new section of road built.

Fastest link to Waterford would be via backroads to near Knocktopher exit on the M9, I used to drive it for years and from Callan to bridge in Waterford used to take me around 35min'ish.

House wise I can't comment on renting but there are a number of new build estate in operation at the moment in the town,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭conor05

Thanks for all the replies so far. Going to look at the Bennettsbridge, Knocktopher and Ballyhale area.
    Keep options open for commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randd1

Stoneyford would do in a pinch.
    Decent house prices, good primary school, not many shops but.
    Some sports clubs in the area as well.
    10 mins drive to Kilkenny, 5 mins drive to the motorway in either direction (Waterford or Dublin).
    Secondary schools in Callan, Knocktopher, Thomastown and Kilkenny all within 10 minutes drive, and with buses available.

Knocktopher would be similar and better, but closer to Waterford than Kilkenny.

If you're looking for something more rural, Hugginstown/Newmarket would be alright and close to the Knocktopher exit, Danesfort is another option.

Advertisement