Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Christmas Debate - #5 Santa Presents Wrapped or Unwrapped

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Unwrapped
    There is a 10 year age gap between me and my siblings. So when I was a kid I didn't get much off them but I would have as a teenager.
    I had one uncle who was an alcoholic and died , another uncle who wouldn't really know me or be with it, a miserable aunt and a nice aunt. The nice aunt would have given me money. She was never into presents/Christmas.
    I might have got the odd selection box.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

64 votes now cast so far with a 60/40 split.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

When I growing up we only got Santa presents!
    I genuinely don't remember when I was really young. As a younger teenager there was a "Santa present", which was basically something large and expensive that you asked for, and then some other present(s) from your parents.

My own kids do get presents from us as well as Santa, but what comes from us is literally a token; a selection box or a €5 toy from Tesco or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Unwrapped
    Always wrapped! I can't imagine walking into a room full of unwrapped presents left under the tree, you'd know exactly what you got straight away! Our names were always written on the wrapping paper somewhere (I don't think there were gift tags in the 80s) and one year I asked my mother how come Santa's hand writing was identical to hers.

I'd always try to unwrap my presents very carefully so I could save the wrapping paper for the next year so I wouldn't have to buy any. hahaha, the 80s were tough times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

seamus wrote: »
    My own kids do get presents from us as well as Santa, but what comes from us is literally a token; a selection box or a €5 toy from Tesco or something.

Same with us. Growing up, we only ever got Santy presents but Mr. CL insisted on us giving the kids a little present from us. I did disagree at the time, but now I can see it can be used in later years to keep the magic going. And it's normally only a book or something from us.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

As kids, all the Santa stuff was always unwrapped. We each had a "spot" in the sitting room and we'd leave a kitchen chair there and hang our stocking on it before bed, then when we came down the stocking would be full and our presents would be displayed on/around the chair.

Santa has done things similarly for my son, except he puts his stocking on an armchair and Santa arranges the stuff there. Not sure how it's going to work this year seeing as he now has a little sister, we'll have to see, might do the kitchen chairs.

My parents still do a Santa bag for me and my sisters even though I'm in my 30s and the presents that go in it are wrapped.

We didn't get presents from our parents as kids, and I do remember questioning it at one stage, but my Mum said that because we got so much from Santa, she didn't feel that her and Dad should be getting us stuff. She told me later that the thought never occurred to her until I brought it up and she had to do some fast talking to stop me smelling a rat :pac: I usually give my son a home-made present from us - I crochet so he usually picks a teddy or toy that he'd like me to make him so that goes under the tree for him.

Unwrapped
    As a kid back in the 60’s nothing was wrapped. For my own kids in the 80’s Santa always wrapped the kids presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Unwrapped is your only man.

Santa trialled wrapping one year but it wasnt worth the effort, as its what is inside that counts anyway!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

We’re at a 58/42% now. Not much in this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,555 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Unwrapped
    Pter wrote: »
    Unwrapped is your only man.

Santa trialled wrapping one year but it wasnt worth the effort, as its what is inside that counts anyway!

The wrapping paper and box was my favorite!

• Advertisement

Opening 2 layers is just greedy. For shame. And on Christmas and all; when materialism matters the least :D

Unwrapped

Ahhh. The most popular toy of all. The box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Santa always delivered my presents “ unwrapped” but presented in a Santa Sack!
    It was still pretty exciting having to rummage around and pull out the pressies!

One year Santa was unable to leave the bag of pressies in my room, and when I woke up I thought he hadn’t delivered anything. A very upset 7 year old ran out out of my bedroom to tell my parents and ended up tripping over the bag of goodies left outside my bedroom door! Ah the memories! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Unwrapped
    We used to get one wrapped and the rest unwrapped, the wrapped one always had a card from Santa inside as well

We used to get one wrapped and the rest unwrapped, the wrapped one always had a card from Santa inside as well

That’s amazing the card from Santa is such a cute idea!

Largest response so far for this weeks vote. At a 56/44 split. Getting tighter as the week moves on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Unwrapped
    Ahhh shtop. Every year we have this debate with Mr M.
    He's unwrapped.
    I'm wrapped. Obviously.

55/45 split with less than a day to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Loving the fact the results of these are hidden while the poll is open. Nail biting stuff! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

Hidden like a wrapped present....(I voted unwrapped)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Unwrapped is bordering on neglect!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

And yet unwrapped is the clear winner ;)

After 98 votes the winner is Unwrapped with 55% of the votes.

Quite a split vote even after a week and hopefully it got everyone thinking about their family traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Unwrapped
    Loughc wrote: »
    After 98 votes the winner is Unwrapped with 55% of the votes.

Quite a split vote even after a week and hopefully it got everyone thinking about their family traditions.

That's whats its all about family traditions each to their own, no right or wrong way of doing anything at christmas... except its wrong not to wrap Santa presents :D

That's whats its all about family traditions each to their own, no right or wrong way of doing anything at christmas... except its wrong not to wrap Santa presents :D

Well, like i tell my little ones, im a close personal friend of Santa; i even have him on my mobile here. And i rang him earlier to ask him about this and he said unwrapped is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Unwrapped
    Pter wrote: »
    Well, like i tell my little ones, im a close personal friend of Santa; i even have him on my mobile here. And i rang him earlier to ask him about this and he said unwrapped is the way to go.

tumblr_magx3des9d1qcqckvo1_500.gif

tumblr_magx3des9d1qcqckvo1_500.gif

tenor.gif

I’m just here for the fight. :)

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Santa does not have access to the three rolls for one euro, on Moore St.
    He drops the major gift, magnificently naked. Might be a name-tag to avoid confusion, (if you have been very good all year, that is to say) but no more than that.
    Mere mortals use paper with robins on, etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement