Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking issue with a neighbour and looking for advice

Options
  • 08-10-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi All
    I live in a small town in Cork County and I dont plan on mentioning where to keep anonymous.
    I live in an old estate with ten houses on the street , at the start of the old estate the council put a kerb where I park my vehicle as well as another person on the estate.
    Anyhow approx 15 years ago a council estate was built above the old estate and now parking has become an issue.
    There is one family living in the council houses and they now have 4 vehicles , including two vans and two cars. He has two parking spaces outside his house and lives approx 150 yards from me.
    Last week he parked one of the vans on my spot on the Kerb and I barely could get my car in after a long days working, it happened twice in the one week.
    I was furious and I was going to go up to his house only for the fact it was after 11pm
    He now is parking one of his camper vans at the corner of the turn off to the row of houses that i live in on and he never moves it
    It is going to to cause an accident as it is very dangerous
    The annoying thing is his parents live about another 100 yards below the estate I live in and next to them there are parking spaces for 5 vehicles which were created by the council , they are not used and I cant understand why he doesnt park the camper vans there.
    I have talked to a few other residents and they are all furious with him and I can see trouble brewing if its not sorted swiftly.
    I was told by a few sources to contact the council on his behaviour and that he doesnt have a leg to stand on with what he is at.
    Im hoping for some solid advice
    Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Brian201888

So yourself and the other residents are all "furious" but has anyone actually popped down and asked him to move it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Is it actually your spot or are you just in the habit of parking there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Unless it’s a private estate (managed by a management company) you can not own a parking space (public road). If he is parked legally there is nothing you can really do except highlight to the council that where he parks is dangerous and request them to check it out and they may put down double yellow lines. That world mean that you couldn’t park their either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Definitely talk to the council...
    If the vehicles aren't parked illegally, or blocking your driveway, there's not much can be done..
    If it's blocking where you park on the side of the public road, could be tough luck...
    In the meantime have a look at tax, insurance, and nct on any the vehicles on the road..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭thebadguy88

I have parked there for over 10 years

• Advertisement

amcalester wrote: »
    Is it actually your spot or are you just in the habit of parking there?

I have parked there for over ten years

Unless it’s a private estate (managed by a management company) you can not own a parking space (public road). If he is parked legally there is nothing you can really do except highlight to the council that where he parks is dangerous and request them to check it out and they may put down double yellow lines. That world mean that you couldn’t park their either.

Okay I find it weird how he can park in another estates spaces , so technically we could all park outside his house??I just think it is very rude out of him

Markcheese wrote: »
    Definitely talk to the council...
    If the vehicles aren't parked illegally, or blocking your driveway, there's not much can be done..
    If it's blocking where you park on the side of the public road, could be tough luck...
    In the meantime have a look at tax, insurance, and nct on any the vehicles on the road..

Yes we are going to , it is not acceptable from him , parking in other estates spaces and very rude too.
    There are council spaces as I said a small bit down the road which he could park the vehicles in

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I have parked there for over 10 years

Doesn't matter - public roads are public.

So yourself and the other residents are all "furious" but has anyone actually popped down and asked him to move it?

One person banged on his door last Friday night and made him move it , it was very close to turning physical , the person who banged on the door too is becoming a guard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Everyone has the same entitlement to the public road as anyone else, whether it is outside your house, or not. The blocking of the driveway is a separate issue, but anyone is entitled to park on a public roadway (so long as parking is permitted there).

dulpit wrote: »
    Doesn't matter - public roads are public.

It was a council kerb thou so technically i guess no one should be parking on it by right????

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Everyone has the same entitlement to the public road as anyone else, whether it is outside your house, or not. The blocking of the driveway is a separate issue, but anyone is entitled to park on a public roadway (so long as parking is permitted there).

Okay i understand now , thanks for that.
    What are the rules of one parking on a council kerb??

Just because you have stored your property on the same piece of public land doesn't give you any more rights to it than anyone else.

Just because you have stored your property on the same piece of public land doesn't give you any more rights to it than anyone else.

Okay i get you , its a mad one but I cant work out how a person with 4 vehicles can take peoples spaces 150 yards away
    crazy lol

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One person banged on his door last Friday night and made him move it , it was very close to turning physical , the person who banged on the door too is becoming a guard

Well then he should know better.

If it's a public space, vehicles are all up to date on test, tax and insurance then he is doing nothing wrong.

There is no law against owning 1, 2 or 10 vehicles etc.

Just because you are parking there 10 years doesn't give you ownership unless it's on your deeds and it private property.

Unfortunately any road space outside any properties once not a clearway, double yellow etc can be used by anyone at any time.

Well then he should know better.

If it's a public space, vehicles are all up to date on test, tax and insurance then he is doing nothing wrong.

There is no law against owning 1, 2 or 10 vehicles etc.

Just because you are parking there 10 years doesn't give you ownership unless it's on your deeds and it private property.

Unfortunately any road space outside any properties once not a clearway, double yellow etc can be used by anyone at any time.

I find it a crazy one that he a person can take up others spaces over 15o yards from where he lives so that means we could all park outside his house
    I think in the end the smart choice will to get the council to not allow anyone park on the kerb

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Okay I find it weird how he can park in another estates spaces , so technically we could all park outside his house??I just think it is very rude out of him

They are not another estates spaces....they belong to nobody, hence they belong to everybody.

GreeBo wrote: »
    They are not another estates spaces....they belong to nobody, hence they belong to everybody.

I hear ya , technically no mans land
    I must get onto council and sort it
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I find it a crazy one that he a person can take up others spaces over 15o yards from where he lives so that means we could all park outside his house
    I think in the end the smart choice will to get the council to not allow anyone park on the kerb

It's not crazy but be careful the road you go down as council may put in charge bays, yellow lines etc etc.

Nothing wrong at all parking outside his once it's a public road.

• Advertisement

It's not crazy but be careful the road you go down as council may put in charge bays, yellow lines etc etc.

Nothing wrong at all parking outside his once it's a public road.

If you drove by and saw the carry on you would think differently , trust me on that one
    I think il need put in a parking space in garden across from my house and Il sort it with the council as an accident will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I find it a crazy one that he a person can take up others spaces

That's the thing. They aren't other people's spaces. I'd park in front of his house.

mordeith wrote: »
    That's the thing. They aren't other people's spaces. I'd park in front of his house.

Yes i think it will end up happening as people arent happy with him
    Maybe the council would designate the kerb for spaces for people living in my estate instead of leaving it lawless??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

Yes i think it will end up happening as people arent happy with him
    Maybe the council would designate the kerb for spaces for people living in my estate instead of leaving it lawless??

They might. But you will be paying for them.

BoneIdol wrote: »
    They might. But you will be paying for them.

How would i be paying for them??

How would i be paying for them??

The council aren't just going to gift you a free parking space, and nor should they just because you don't want to walk 150 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Gerry T

I live in Dublin, busy area but residential. Same thing more cars than spaces, I've had to park 300m away to find a spot. Doesn't upset me because you have zero entitlement to park outside your house unless you have one of those disabled spaces or a driveway. A couple of yrs ago neighbours requested disc parking, the council sent a form to each house to vote yes or no. The majority on the road voted yes so we now have disc parking, problem solved (most of the time). There's an annual fee, small I can't remember how much, But that fee is prob regional.
    Could be worth considering as he'll need to pay for parking every time he's there, very expensive.
    Failing that if he parks a car permanently in "your" spot, and it's taxed, insured ?, there's nothing you can do....because it's not your spot.

The council aren't just going to gift you a free parking space, and nor should they just because you don't want to walk 150 yards.

Well i certainly wont be cutting the green areas there no more , i did for ten years and didnt get a penny to make the area look nice.
    I wonder if i bill the council would they look after me???

Gerry T wrote: »
    I live in Dublin, busy area but residential. Same thing more cars than spaces, I've had to park 300m away to find a spot. Doesn't upset me because you have zero entitlement to park outside your house unless you have one of those disabled spaces or a driveway. A couple of yrs ago neighbours requested disc parking, the council sent a form to each house to vote yes or no. The majority on the road voted yes so we now have disc parking, problem solved (most of the time). There's an annual fee, small I can't remember how much, But that fee is prob regional.
    Could be worth considering as he'll need to pay for parking every time he's there, very expensive.
    Failing that if he parks a car permanently in "your" spot, and it's taxed, insured ?, there's nothing you can do....because it's not your spot.

I hear ya mate , its a mad situation , I think we will just need to have a chat with him and sort it out
    Thanks for the advice , i appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Gerry T wrote: »

I don't see how this will help? The parking permit areas are usually across an area, so if the houses are within 150 yards or so they'll likely be in same area, so they'll be entitled to the same permits.

Advertisement