Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money Accidentally Deposited Into Account - Looking for Solicitors and

• 08-10-2018 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Ok, so a European crypto-financial company (not a bank) erroneously deposited EUR 550 into my account. They want cash back

Now, on a side-note, this company is refusing to refund me a similar amount for cryptocurrency deposited into the wrong wallet address. It goes against their T&Cs for security reasons, which is why I'm damned reluctant to give them any cash back

I'm aware that the money is not actually mine from a legal perspective. What I want to know is, do I actually have a "positive onus" to go to the effort of sending them it back? If was to keep the account topped up with that amount, I would not have spent any of "their" money. What could I be convicted of, as I would not have spent any money, and not exactly violated any explicit legal agreement.

From a practical perspective, how do cases like this evolve, would I have to attend a court case in Dublin for the EUR 500 and, losing the case, have to pay the full amount of legal fees for myself and the other company?

(I'm giving it back, just curious more than anything)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ok, so a European crypto-financial company (not a bank) erroneously deposited EUR 550 into my account. They want cash back

When you say "Cash back", do you mean physical cash?

You would be well advised of the potential for being the victim of a "Authorised push payment" fraud.

You send them the money, then the origional transfer suddenly turns out to be a fradulent transaction and the "wrong paymeny" disapears, and you out 550 euros.

Tell them it is their mistake, and you need to wait a reasonable period to make sure this aledged mistaken transaction is not reveresed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Charge them for your time in sorting their mistake out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Now, on a side-note, this company is refusing to refund me a similar amount for cryptocurrency deposited into the wrong wallet address. It goes against their T&Cs for security reasons, which is why I'm damned reluctant to give them any cash back

So they're refusing to refund you because it goes against their T&C's but they're looking to give someone else a refund and it doesn't go against their T&C's?

Have they given you an explanation of how this particular refund doesn't go against their T&C's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭scwazrh

this company is refusing to refund me a similar amount for cryptocurrency deposited into the wrong wallet address. It goes against their T&Cs for security reasons, which is why I'm damned reluctant to give them any cash back

Email them saying thanks for refunding the money you sent to a wrong wallet address and cease contact with them.You made a mistake and they said hard luck , now they've made a mistake and they want you to help them..
    Alternatively tell them it goes against your T&C's for security reasons to refund money ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

scwazrh wrote: »
    Email them saying thanks for refunding the money you sent to a wrong wallet address and cease contact with them.You made a mistake and they said hard luck , now they've made a mistake and they want you to help them..
    If the OP sent them money via cryptocurrency to a wrong address? or sent money via cryptocurrency from their service to a wrong address, it's very likely they do not have the funds and that's why they can't refund the funds - because they've either gone to another person or much more likely, gone to a wallet that doesn't actually exist yet.

Taking the money is asking for problems in my opinion but if OP does it, make sure you don't have any fiat money or cryptocurrency on their service because you can be fairly sure they'd just take that to cover the loss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement