Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attempting to be a new customer.

Options
  • 08-10-2018 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Eir,

Virgin Media (I hope you are reading this) are putting my price up (again). I started chatted with a representative through the online chat about switching to Eir Broadband.

My home has never had the Eir line activated and will need to be activated. The representative wanted to sell me a 39.99 home phone package to get this completed. But reassured me that I would just have to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period and I would then have an active line and I would be able to purchase broadband and get accurate speed information before I purchased.

Is this really how you are going about your business at the moment? The only way to get people in is to get them into a contract and tell them to cancel it before the 14 day cooling off period?

Any help appreciated, but what the sales representative was trying to do was ludicrous. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Croom_lmk

pp_me wrote: »
    Eir,

Virgin Media (I hope you are reading this) are putting my price up (again). I started chatted with a representative through the online chat about switching to Eir Broadband.

My home has never had the Eir line activated and will need to be activated. The representative wanted to sell me a 39.99 home phone package to get this completed. But reassured me that I would just have to cancel within the 14 day cooling off period and I would then have an active line and I would be able to purchase broadband and get accurate speed information before I purchased.

Is this really how you are going about your business at the moment? The only way to get people in is to get them into a contract and tell them to cancel it before the 14 day cooling off period?

Any help appreciated, but what the sales representative was trying to do was ludicrous. 
    I was told exactly the same thing by a CPM sales agent recently in Co. Limerick. Sign up, get the line activated or swapped out if required and then if I didn't like the speeds, cancel within 14 days. Leads me to believe it has something to do with numbers / stats and bank account details on database records. 

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

Hi is it €39.99 only or like other offer they have that only last for 12 months then back to normal billing? An agent just knocked on out door this morning offering the same but never have a time to talk to them as I have to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pantelas2002

Can somebody please confirm this? I'm having the same trouble as OP. 

Got the landline for 39.99, got told by two different agents that the broadband would cause the same, but I never guessed I should use the cooling off period to cancel and then order broadband! That sounds crazy! So after the broadband order, I now get an e-mail that I'm entering a contract of 59.99 for 12 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭BadSanta

Got the landline for 39.99, got told by two different agents that the broadband would cause the same, but I never guessed I should use the cooling off period to cancel and then order broadband! That sounds crazy! So after the broadband order, I now get an e-mail that I'm entering a contract of 59.99 for 12 months!
    Hi you're on €59.99 contract and €20 discount for the first 12 months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Steps to signing up with eir:
    1) Read threads on here detailing people's experience in signing up and resolving issues.
    2) Run as far away as you can and don't look back.
    3) Sign up with someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭denismc

Something similar happened to me , I was told I would have to activate the line before they could tell me what speeds I would get. So the tech came and told me that the line is so badly damaged that I can't get a line.
    But he also told me that the fibre booster right outside my door is active and I should be able to get fibre, but trying to get through to a sales rep is like trying to contact the man on the moon.
    The name may have changed but it is the same old Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 pantelas2002

BadSanta wrote: »

Hi you're on €59.99 contract and €20 discount for the first 12 months
    But where is that on paper??? I only got an email which only mentions 59.99. I've been trying to contact Eir all day, online support tells me to contact sales department, but I could never get through!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Run as fast as you can and never look back, eir are an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I was switching provider about 2 months ago and tried to get info on packages from Eir but customer service was so bad that I just gave up. If they are crap when you are potentially going to sign up then what will they be like afterwards!

In the end I switched to Pure Telecom and my WiFi is much better and much more stable then my previous provider (Vodafone). P.T are cheaper too and I know of others who have been with them for years and have no criticisms.

Might be worth giving them a call and see how you get on. I really couldn’t fault them and I’m really happy with the service that I’m getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Eir,

Hi pp_me, 

If you have never had service with ourselves the line would need to be activated and once it's active it can then be tested accurately for the broadband service. We are unable to test an inactive line for speeds. The broadband order is placed after the line has been connected. 

If you are not happy with the speed of the service you can then cancel within your 14 day cooling period. If you cancel within this period no contract is applied.

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Great, can you send someone out to activate my line so we can test my broadband speed to allow me to decide if I want to go ahead with this?

Or are you going to make me enter a home phone contract to do that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Steps to signing up with eir:
    1) Read threads on here detailing people's experience in signing up and resolving issues.
    2) Run as far away as you can and don't look back.
    3) Sign up with someone else.
    As above. I wish I had. I have just spent more fruitless time trying to get someone on the phone. Have tried through boards. twitter and "talk to eir" on their site. I have their shiny new phone, yet they don't seem to want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Great, can you send someone out to activate my line so we can test my broadband speed to allow me to decide if I want to go ahead with this?

You would need to sign up with them and enter a contract, then once the line is activated they can test it for broadband (they can't do this without an active line!), if your not happy with it, you have 14 days to cancel and the contract doesn't stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

You would need to sign up with us and place an order for this to happen, once the line is active we can then test it for broadband speeds. 

You will only be tied into a contract after the 14-day cooling period.  

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pp_me

Yeah, no thanks.

Who would willingly enter a contract they don't want to try and get the contract they do want?

Seems like something you need to sort Eir.

Advertisement