Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds/Extra work

• 08-10-2018 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I am a post primary teacher and am currently on a career break. My plan was to move to Germany in September and teach there. I had organized a job, accommodation etc. Unfortunately a close family member got bad news in September and she is dying. I made the decision to stay at home to spend time with her. Now I have financial worries. At the moment it looks like she could die within the next few weeks and I hate talking about it like this but practically I would be looking to look for a job in Germany in the new year. I need to make just a bit of money between now and then as I don’t want to dip too much into my savings. I have a few grinds students and would like to make a bit more money. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

You can do a limited amount of subbing while on a career break so that may be an option for you on top of the grinds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    You can do a limited amount of subbing while on a career break so that may be an option for you on top of the grinds.

I think this 'limited amount' of hours was even increased recently in response to the difficulties some schools were having getting subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

That's true . Two years ago.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary schools are frantically looking for subs , would take a secondary school teacher for short term subbing, so that’s another option.

Advertisement