Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let Go

Options
  • 08-10-2018 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've been told this afternoon that I'm being let go. There is some restructuring happening (so my role no longer needed) and as I had received a warning regarding a mistake I made a month ago. So not making excuses, I'm just still in a bit of shock.

I'm on the final month of probation so they only have to give me 1 weeks notice.

I was told I can decide what I want to do for the rest of the week - come in and handover or whatever I decide - if I go in tomorrow to finish things and put things in order and decide it's not necessary to come for the rest of the week, will I still be paid those last few days? (every euro counts these days)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Only your boss can tell you that.

It will stand to you to do an orderly and comprehensive handover.
    You'll need a reference.

Its happened to us all at some stage.
    Take it as a learning curve and update your CV with all you've achieved in the job.
    It will stand to you in the future.
    There is no stigma in a restructuring and ones job no longer existing when looking for another job.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

Thank you Tatranska!

I'm just absorbing all the information I can google.

Boss will pay my week but I can leave when I want so will go before end of week.

I'm really bummed right now as I've just realised that even though I've been working since I was 19 (part time while doing a BA and MA full time) and full time since I'm going to be entitled to feck all in Job Seekers as I'm 24 and live at home (from Dublin and was lowly paid so couldn't afford to move out even when I was full time) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,521 ✭✭✭caviardreams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Look on the bright side. Probably more opportunities now then there has been for ages.

It will still take time and lots of applications and rejections to get the next one. So start as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

It sounds to me that you will be paid for the week regardless of whether you come in or not.

My advice would be to take it on this chin, come in, and do what needs to be done from a professional perspective. Many folk will throw the toys out of the pram in such a situation but it rarely pays off to part with an employer on anything but good terms.

You have my sympathy, but as mentioned it's something that we have all been through or will go through at some stage.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement