Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage conversion or granny flat in garden?

Options
  • 08-10-2018 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am living in a 3 bed semi. I need one more bedroom, for my adult child as it is way too tight a space as is. I don't have a lot of funds so don't want to do a huge job. There are two options that I can see, either to convert the garage or build a self contained unit in the garden. Which would be cheaper?

I imagine the garage conversion but it would not be a large enough space for a self contained unit, which would add more value if I was to sell the house in the future?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Easier from a planning perspective to alter/extend the garage/ direct from the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lovelife92 wrote: »
    I am living in a 3 bed semi. I need one more bedroom, for my adult child as it is way too tight a space as is. I don't have a lot of funds so don't want to do a huge job. There are two options that I can see, either to convert the garage or build a self contained unit in the garden. Which would be cheaper?

I imagine the garage conversion but it would not be a large enough space for a self contained unit, which would add more value if I was to sell the house in the future?

You will not get Planning for this, so it will be more expensive in the long run for a glorified garden shed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement