Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating system for new build

• 09-10-2018 1:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,building a 2,600sq ft dormer next year and trying to decide what heating system to go for. Downstairs will be 1856sq ft and upstairs 744. We will have a stove in the kitchen/dining/living area and another one in the main sitting room.

I’m thinking underfloor heating(rads upstairs) powered by an air to water system. I’ve no experience with heating systems so have to go on good advice.

My reservations with the ATW system is what happens if the electricity goes? How will we heat the house.! Also noise, how loud are they and could they be located in the garage?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Latro

Obviously heat pumps don't work in instance of power outage but same goes for any other heating system where water circulation is used for heat distribution.

Even though they are not loud at all I wouldn't recommend it to be installed on side of the house where bedrooms are.

A2W evaporator unit cannot be installed in the garage as it needs constant supply of fresh air going through it. Same air cannot be used for re-circulation.

I recommend monoblock installation as they are factory sealed and extremely easy to install (probably easier than oil boiler), any plumber should be able to do it.

You will have to experiment with the settings yourself a bit as every house is different and same goes for people living in it. Once it is up and running you can always ask here, I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice how to fine tune it.

All in all A2W HP are great devices to heat a house. I got one myself and I couldn't recommend it more. Relatively cheap and clean.

Avoid unknown cheap brands.
    Get one from big manufacturer like Mitsubishi, Daikin, Panasonic, Toshiba, LG, Samsung etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Or just talk to your engineer, He's the qualified person your paying to scope the heating system in your build.

Also google "Heating systems Site:Boards.ie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

Wick2k wrote: »
    Hi there,building a 2,600sq ft dormer next year and trying to decide what heating system to go for. Downstairs will be 1856sq ft and upstairs 744. We will have a stove in the kitchen/dining/living area and another one in the main sitting room.

I’m thinking underfloor heating(rads upstairs) powered by an air to water system. I’ve no experience with heating systems so have to go on good advice.

My reservations with the ATW system is what happens if the electricity goes? How will we heat the house.! Also noise, how loud are they and could they be located in the garage?

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    You wont have much use for two stoves if you go with the air to water.They will really be just a back up to the air to water

Advertisement