Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist Visa Canada

Options
  • 09-10-2018 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hello,

I can work online and I am tempted to go to Canada to meet my girlfriend on the 6 month tourist visa. I won't be telling them that I will be working online though as I will be paying my taxes in ireland.

I'm curious about the border as I will not have health insurance? Has anybody ever been turned away before?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

You can do online work while in Canada on a tourist visa so long as you don't have any Canadian clients and are not being paid in Canada. The big problem you might face is convincing the border agent that you will leave at the end of your stay. Without a job to tie you to Ireland (I assume Ireland is your home country) and a girlfriend in Canada then you don't really have strong ties outside of Canada. You could come looking for 6 month stay but the border agent might only let you in for 2 weeks - it's completely their discretion.

You would also be crazy not to have any travel/health insurnace. Emergency healthcare costs in Canada can run into thousands.

Hmmmm, I'm debating whether or not to go to be honest.

Do you think they'd give me a two week with 1,000 $ and a return flight. I might just go for a holiday tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They may deny you entry if you don't have proof of health insurance. Also, you'll need proof of how you'll be supported whilst in Canada; by your own money, by someone else, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

Yearly travel insurance multi-trip including winter sports etc.. is around 120euro.. cheap! AND A NECESSITY!

• Advertisement

Does anybody know anybody who was actually turned away from the border the first time they came to Canada?

It seems a lot of bother, but now I am curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Does anybody know anybody who was actually turned away from the border the first time they came to Canada?

Why would you be turned away?

Fear of overstaying is the common one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

Not declaring your criminal convictions..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I travelled a good deal into the US and Canada during my time with my previous job, I'm now here in Toronto on an IEC. Both borders are similar.

When you arrive, they'll ask why you are coming and how long you intend to stay. They'll also likely ask you for your health insurance and your return flight details. If say you are coming for a holiday now, it's a red flag as it's winter, Canada is cold and your too early for Xmas, too late for Thanksgiving. If you are staying more than 2 to 3 weeks, they'll definitely dig a little deeper. If you say 6 months, you'll definitely be moved to secondary screening.

Your profile also comes into it. 21-year-old male with no job in Ireland or working for yourself, high risk. 25-year-old with a professional job, good credentials and a job with a company in Ireland, low risk.

That said though, if you can prove that you are going to leave at the end of your stay and you have the funds to support yourself (Which isn't much, its like $2500 so a credit card usually passes as a means of funds) then there is a very low chance of you being turned away.

All in all, be prepared, be honest and don't try and BS your way in. Getting turned away at a border is a serious problem. It not only impacts your ability to go back to that country, but it also impacts your ability to enter many other countries and obtain a visa.

• Advertisement
Advertisement