Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree on a main, who's responsible?

Options
  • 09-10-2018 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi,

As I walk out my drive way theirs a tree blocking one half of my drive way, can still park on the other half,

Id love to get it chopped down and flatten the path,

Is the tree my responsibly or the councils?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it's outside your property, then it's the council's.

Make a complaint to the council that you're concerned about public safety and access to your property. They won't be long removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

seamus wrote: »
    If it's outside your property, then it's the council's.

Make a complaint to the council that you're concerned about public safety and access to your property. They won't be long removing it.

Brilliant ill get that done to today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how did they manage to plant a tree blocking your driveway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Low lateral branches?, split main trunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

how did they manage to plant a tree blocking your driveway?

Sounds like OPs house had its garden tarmacked over and driveway extended to width of garden. If I was your neighbour on the road I wouldn’t be happy about a mature tree being knocked to allow access for extra parking! My in laws have a similar situation on a Dublin street, but tree was there before they widened driveway and road would look awful if it was felled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Sundew wrote: »
    Sounds like OPs house had its garden tarmacked over and driveway extended to width of garden. If I was your neighbour on the road I wouldn’t be happy about a mature tree being knocked to allow access for extra parking! My in laws have a similar situation on a Dublin street, but tree was there before they widened driveway and road would look awful if it was felled!

My house is a new build in someones garden at the end of the road, when they built the house they just left the tree their blocking half the driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

but1er wrote: »
    My house is a new build in someones garden at the end of the road, when they built the house they just left the tree their blocking half the driveway

In that that case you shouldn’t have an issue getting it removed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Just chop it down yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I assumed the tree was drooping over blocking an already-existing driveway.

OP, before you go ringing the council, check the planning permission obtained for your house. If they have increased the width of the access to the public road without permission, then the council may tell you to F-off, or worse they may tell you that you need to apply for retention to keep your driveway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    Just chop it down yourself.
    That would be criminal damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I do hate half the story OP's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Victor wrote: »
    That would be criminal damage.

Do it at night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yes, it changes from a criminal offence to a civil offence if you do it at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

but1er wrote: »
    Hi,

As I walk out my drive way theirs a tree blocking one half of my drive way, can still park on the other half,

Id love to get it chopped down and flatten the path,

Is the tree my responsibly or the councils?

Tried it a few years ago. Neither Bertie or Gerry could do it.
    Parks dept said it was healthy and in keeping with the are.
    Its over 80 years old and gets pruned every few years.

i'm curious as to what you'd expect the council to do - as you mention, it's more than just a case of chopping down a tree, by the sound of it. it's chopping it down, digging out the rootball and soil, and concreting over the space where it used to be.

it's kinda bemusing that the person you got the house off managed to get PP for a driveway which opens out onto a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

i'm curious as to what you'd expect the council to do - as you mention, it's more than just a case of chopping down a tree, by the sound of it. it's chopping it down, digging out the rootball and soil, and concreting over the space where it used to be.

it's kinda bemusing that the person you got the house off managed to get PP for a driveway which opens out onto a tree.

Agreed. There was either planning to open the driveway, in which case the removal of the tree and making good of the entrance would have been part of it, or there wasn't.
    When I built my house the entrance crossed an existing council owned green space and dishing the kerb and laying concrete was included in the pp and was my responsibility cost wise. It was also required that I contact the parks dept. to establish a right of way across said space. Of course i'm still awaiting their response..fifteen years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Tried it a few years ago. Neither Bertie or Gerry could do it. Parks dept said it was healthy and in keeping with the are. Its over 80 years old and gets pruned every few years.

Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

OP, can you please post a picture as it's hard to visualize.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Good.

I never said it was bad!

Advertisement