If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaker cable extension

Options
  • 09-10-2018 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi, 
    My living room seems to have been pre-wired for surround speakers. There are 4 cables sticking about 6 inches out of the wall behind the TV and each one runs to each corner in the ceiling.  I had planned to upgrade my tv viewing with an AVR & speakers before Christmas but would like to make sure I can use these cables first.  They are probably too short to connect directly to an AVR so is there an “extension” so to speak that I can get to plug into an AVR.  I have a Yamaha RXV677 and Mass 5.1 (purchased from you a few years ago) in another room that I can test any with before investing in satellite speakers that can’t reach the AVR!
    Thanks,

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

2Tractors wrote: »
    Hi, 
    My living room seems to have been pre-wired for surround speakers. There are 4 cables sticking about 6 inches out of the wall behind the TV and each one runs to each corner in the ceiling.  I had planned to upgrade my tv viewing with an AVR & speakers before Christmas but would like to make sure I can use these cables first.  They are probably too short to connect directly to an AVR so is there an “extension” so to speak that I can get to plug into an AVR.  I have a Yamaha RXV677 and Mass 5.1 (purchased from you a few years ago) in another room that I can test any with before investing in satellite speakers that can’t reach the AVR!
    Thanks,
    Hi 2Tractors.

Thanks for the post.

There are cable jointing kits you can purchase but it would not be something we would stock unfortunately.
    You could go the old fashion way and use a standard electrical plastic cable block connector or there are more up to date ones that use heat shrink for joining them.
    It's no ideal to join cables but if you have no choice there are ways to do it.

Regarding where the cables come from the ceiling... Does this cable hang down or is it too cut only a few inches. You would need to make sure that the speakers positioned here are not too high or at least enough to point them inwards.
    You could as you mention use your current kit for testing to see how it suits.

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 2Tractors

Thanks Kenny I'll try that.

I have over 18 inches of cable in each corner to play with.  Is it possible to mix small high  satellites with two bookshelf speakers upfront? Floorstanders are not an option and anything high needs to be relatively small and discreet.

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

2Tractors wrote: »
    Thanks Kenny I'll try that.

I have over 18 inches of cable in each corner to play with.  Is it possible to mix small high  satellites with two bookshelf speakers upfront? Floorstanders are not an option and anything high needs to be relatively small and discreet.

Thanks
    Hey 2Tractors.

You could run a set of front highs and normal fronts off of one amp provided the amp you purchase can do this.
    Pretty much anything 7.1 or above you can assign the extra two speakers as front high, mid and now Atmos.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.