Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run Leg in HIM v 2nd Half of Marathon

• 09-10-2018 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a while and I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on it: When do you think you would be/should be more fatigued, at the beginning of the run in a half distance triathlon or 21km into a standalone marathon?

If you could list splits from races you've done, it might make for interesting reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

given proper pacing for both

the first 7 or so k of tri run should be harder of the bike ( not much harder ) as it that stage you should still be ok in the marathon.

than there should be a few ks the same disconfort pace or whatever you want

but then it will be easeir at half iron distance as the muscles havent broken down as much as they will in the 70.3

mentally the marathon should feel a bit harder to run

of course the answer is realy it depends on weekly run milage vs cycling ,how hard you went on the bike weather condtions, etc and for a poor cyclist it might be very different , so how many years years in each sport and training distributions have a factor

run mechanics . gearing on bike potentially. the course is flat or hilly

speed vs strenght of athlete

if you got the pacing a bit wrong in frst half of marathon then you will suffer more in the marathon, on the bike you ave a bit more leeway ( in the half )

but again you can not really break doane muscle fibers as much in a half IM as you will do in a marathon so thats really the main point .

or even simpler the next 48 hours after your race certainly at your level you feel the marathon way more in your leges walking down stairs than the half .

but the variations are massive i kow marathon runners that are approox 3.35 and usualy run over 1.50 off the bike
    and i know 3.30 marathoners that run .low 1.30 off the bike

on the other hand when i look at the 70.3 world champs and look at what the 3 top males did there that certainly hurt a looooooottttt runing 20.9 k at 1.06.30 and i think the injury he got from that is not the biggest suprise. but that was a total different level we have ever seen in a 70.3 race

Advertisement