Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home Hub

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 217 ✭✭Cockford Ollie

My Hub is really responsive and understands my voice much better than my phone.

I've a Nexus 6p and the assistant is really sluggish. Takes a few seconds to respond to "hey Google". What's it like on other people's phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I've a Nexus 6p and the assistant is really sluggish. Takes a few seconds to respond to "hey Google". What's it like on other people's phones?

I've a One Plus 5 and find it as good and better than hub and mini but putting it down to phone being in my hard where other are up to 5m away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

My Hub is really responsive and understands my voice much better than my phone.

Mine is spot on (3XL), normally wakes before the Home Hub does but then the Hub handles the question anyway, same with the Lenovo. I'd say the Google Hub is slightly snapper than the Lenovo, but by very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Where's the best place to buy the Lenovo?

I bought the 7 inch version in best buy in America for 99 dollars around Black Friday. I think littlewoods were selling them here though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

griffdaddy wrote: »
    I bought the 7 inch version in best buy in America for 99 dollars around Black Friday. I think littlewoods were selling them here though

Yep they are, 214 fooking yo-yos o_0

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

First impressions:

I feel that I can only appreciate my Google Hub fully when I have a Nest Hello doorbell. The sound quality is definitely not as good as My Google Home and it can’t understand as much either. High quality display. Overall good value for money.

That's criminal, the 10" is $199 beyont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My landfill Android (Nokia 3 first gen) can take ten seconds to process an Assistant command. If its something like turning off lights, the lights will be off before it tells me it's going to do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Where's the best place to buy the Lenovo?
    griffdaddy wrote: »
    Patww79 wrote: »
    That's criminal, the 10" is $199 beyont.

Yikes, typical rip off republic but just to clarify Littlewoods were doing the 7" for €155 on the Black Fri weekend so maybe they're reduce it again in the Jan sales. I was contemplating it over the Hub but couldn't justify the extra €40 for the sake of a camera and the bigger footprint when a lot of US retailers were doing both the Hub and Lenovo for the same $99.

The Lenovo 8" is a great price in Walmart the States. $99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Smart-Display-8-with-Google-Assistant/599801301

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

The Lenovo 8" is a great price in Walmart the States. $99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lenovo-Smart-Display-8-with-Google-Assistant/599801301

Do they deliver to Ireland these US websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭JoeCat

Chocolate wrote: »
    I was at the till in PC world a few weeks ago and asked the cashier about a release date for the Google Home Hub.
    He directed me to the Google rep (or some such title) in the shop.

He said they aren't licensed to sell them yet. I remarked that it was a bit ridiculous that it was available in England but not here. He said it was to do with Google Home Hub not being able to recognise some Irish accents yet. He thought it might be available in January.

He said that Littlewoods weren't supposed to be selling it and would likely not be able to sell Google products next year.

How accurate all that information is, I don't know but that's what he told me.

Surely the guy didn't really know most of what he was talking about, because it uses Google assistant and it recognises the Irish accents for ages already.

Nothing to do with accents but probably the licensing to sell it.

Of all the smart displays, which ones would you say is better? (Lenovo, Google Home Hub, Sony, etc)

JoeCat wrote: »
    Do they deliver to Ireland these US websites?

No but you should be able to use Address Pal.

My mam bought the 8" Lenovo last night delivered to my sister's house in NY, she has a USA cc so it's easy. This morning she messaged me that it had gone up by $50 this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

No but you should be able to use Address Pal.

My mam bought the 8" Lenovo last night delivered to my sister's house in NY, she has a USA cc so it's easy. This morning she messaged me that it had gone up by $50 this morning.

just be cautious using addresspal as you will get hit for import duty when item is delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭RunDMC

As has been said before in this thread, the duty is not too bad, only about 2% if I remember. The problem is the VAT at 21%. That hurts.

R

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Reserved one from Argos Newry and popped up to collect last weekend. Have to put it away for Xmas as its a present for my husband (but really for me!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

flikflak wrote: »
    Reserved one from Argos Newry and popped up to collect last weekend. Have to put it away for Xmas as its a present for my husband (but really for me!!).
    Wish I was married to You :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Question:

I currently use Google Home app on my phone and the account is my personal Google account- this account has a Yeelight bulb, Nvidia Shield and a couple of SonOff devices controlled only by me.

this Christmas I will be adding the Google Hub and two Goggle Home Minis, which my wife and kids will also need access to.

I was thinking of setting up a new *myfamilyname Goggle account and put all devices under it, and give access to all family members.

is this the cleanest way to have all family members under the one Goggle account, and simplest way to allow all family members control and access all smart home devices?

the only potential snag I can think of is on the Nvidia Shield where all my current config seems to be under my Google account, or am i wrong in my concern and it could easily be linked to the new 'family' Goggle account?

Question:

I currently use Google Home app on my phone and the account is my personal Google account- this account has a Yeelight bulb, Nvidia Shield and a couple of SonOff devices controlled only by me.

this Christmas I will be adding the Google Hub and two Goggle Home Minis, which my wife and kids will also need access to.

I was thinking of setting up a new *myfamilyname Goggle account and put all devices under it, and give access to all family members.

is this the cleanest way to have all family members under the one Goggle account, and simplest way to allow all family members control and access all smart home devices?

the only potential snag I can think of is on the Nvidia Shield where all my current config seems to be under my Google account, or am i wrong in my concern and it could easily be linked to the new 'family' Goggle account?

No, let them each use their own Google account and add them to the Google home. They will have to train their own voices to their own accounts. Google then knows who's talking to it

I have my personal Gmail added to my Shield, it doesn't make a difference I never sign in on YouTube on the Shield or I get the history of what's watched added to mine but this seems to be the only app that makes a difference. I'm not syncing contacts and a few other personal things on the Shield

No, let them each use their own Google account and add them to the Google home. They will have to train their own voices to their own accounts. Google then knows who's talking to it

I have my personal Gmail added to my Shield, it doesn't make a difference I never sign in on YouTube on the Shield or I get the history of what's watched added to mine but this seems to be the only app that makes a difference. I'm not syncing contacts and a few other personal things on the Shield

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I have a weird issue. On the home hub, I have set up as an ambient to show photos from the Family album in google photos(I am the album owner and it is shared with a few people in the family). However, when you are selecting the album, only the photos that my wife has uploaded are shown. Any idea about this?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I have a weird issue. On the home hub, I have set up as an ambient to show photos from the Family album in google photos(I am the album owner and it is shared with a few people in the family). However, when you are selecting the album, only the photos that my wife has uploaded are shown. Any idea about this?

she must be hot

Google Hub is an oul devil for this sort of thing :P

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

AstraMonti wrote: »

Doesn’t work right for us, have it set to show two albums of about 100 photos each, but we seem to get the same 70 or so, most of them never appear.

Has anyone ever found a way to get a Keep note up on the screen of one? I've the Lenovo in the kitchen and loads of my recipes in Keep Notes so it would be really handy, but there's no cast button in the app and any request I've tried hasn't done the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Anyone got a spare home hub for sale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Patww79 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever found a way to get a Keep note up on the screen of one? I've the Lenovo in the kitchen and loads of my recipes in Keep Notes so it would be really handy, but there's no cast button in the app and any request I've tried hasn't done the trick.

You could cast your phone screen to it from the Google Home App - not a perfect solution but could work

You could cast your phone screen to it from the Google Home App - not a perfect solution but could work

Forgot about that, would do perfectly. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Can someone just confirm the following for me.

"okay Google show me how to cut a pineapple" and this this crashes the device, to my knowledge any youtube request will crash it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

jogdish wrote: »
    Can someone just confirm the following for me.

"okay Google show me how to cut a pineapple" and this this crashes the device, to my knowledge any youtube request will crash it?

Nope works fine, wife was cooking today with it beside showing youtube, grand stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Thebeast078

Mech1 wrote: »
    Anyone got a spare home hub for sale?

I have one of you are interested.

Advertisement