Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Question on 'Auto Plant Watering Aqua Globes'

Options
  • 09-10-2018 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hello,

1. I have these 'Auto Plant Watering Aqua Globes' for my indoor plants. See here. They are plastic.

2. I water my plant

3. I then fill the globe with water

4. I stick it in

5. Soil gets wedged in the upper part of the tube (the long thin bit that pokes into the soil)

Question: Does this soil getting wedged restrict the flow of water to the plant? My assumption is that as the soil dries out the water will drip into it and thus the rest of the plant.

The reason I ask is that some of my plants never seem to drip feed in and worrying that they are not getting enough water so need definitive answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

The short answer is no it won't affect the flow of water because as the soil in the tube becomes saturated the water will then percolate through it.

However I would be careful to only fill the globe occasionally, and probably not at all in winter, as most if not all house plants prefer to have their roots on the dry side.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have tried those globes and never found they worked.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If it's of any use, I found these to be brilliant, but you have to keep the water bottle with the little tube higher than the cone you plant into the soil.

th?id=OIP.T1Dyemf7NnHA1n6iRqF0mQHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300
    41iUBTkuvOL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kieran01

looksee wrote: »
    I have tried those globes and never found they worked.
    Can you elaborate further if possible please? What was the effect? Did plants die? Did they not take the water from the globe? etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kieran01

New Home wrote: »
    If it's of any use, I found these to be brilliant, but you have to keep the water bottle with the little tube higher than the cone you plant into the soil.

th?id=OIP.T1Dyemf7NnHA1n6iRqF0mQHaHa&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300
    41iUBTkuvOL.jpg
    Thanks for this suggestion. I will likely try these also. I can see they are pretty cheap online.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Make sure you get the ones with the cone made out of porous ceramic material. :) I use a large 5lts water bottle when I'm away, and my geraniums are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had fancy glass ones. I honestly did not pay much attention as I regarded them as more decorative than useful. If the pot is big enough to take the globe - they were about a foot long with a globe the size of a tennis ball - then the amount of water in the globe wasn't going to go very far towards watering the big pot. Since they were very fiddly to fill, and the end of the stem got full of soil it wasn't worth the trouble. They were quite pretty though.

I'm just thinking, you might "rescue" them if you stick a bit of string or sponge at the end of the stem making sure that some of it comes out: that way the soil wouldn't act as a stopper, and the porous material would be enough for capillary irrigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

looksee wrote: »
    I had fancy glass ones. I honestly did not pay much attention as I regarded them as more decorative than useful. If the pot is big enough to take the globe - they were about a foot long with a globe the size of a tennis ball - then the amount of water in the globe wasn't going to go very far towards watering the big pot. Since they were very fiddly to fill, and the end of the stem got full of soil it wasn't worth the trouble. They were quite pretty though.
    Same. I also found that they tended to overwater, possibly because I mainly grow succulents.

Advertisement