Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting my off duty

Options
  • 09-10-2018 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm wondering if there is anything in law or guidelines in relation to getting your roster. I'm a nurse and we get our roster for two weeks at a time, it's shift work so never the same and never predictable. At the end of the first week we somtimes get our next two weeks and half the time it's into the next week. Like today is Tuesday and I don't know if I'm working Sunday.

Getting annoyed, it's been brought up at team meetings with no real outcome. I'M tempted to contact hr to see if they have guidelines or go to my union.

I help my brother out with childcare on my days off but I can't tell him. Of course this doesn't concern my manager.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Seems legal.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/section/17/enacted/en/html#sec17

"the employer must notify the employee of the starting and finishing times at least 24 hours before the first day or the day of each week the employee is required to work".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Seems legal.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/20/section/17/enacted/en/html#sec17

"the employer must notify the employee of the starting and finishing times at least 24 hours before the first day or the day of each week the employee is required to work".

Doesn't the week start on a Monday, in which case not knowing whether you're working on Sunday is not legal...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Doesn't the week start on a Monday, in which case not knowing whether you're working on Sunday is not legal...

I think the week starts on Sunday?

I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Giving 24 hours notice for your shifts might be legal but it is totally inconsiderate for employees who desire to have a life outside of work.

OP, if its been raised before with management without any outcome then i suggest you just go to your union and ask them to fight for it.

It seems minor to management but its important for staff to plan their lives.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I think the week starts on Sunday?

I'm not sure.

On the 7th day, the lord rested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Are you HSE or private? In the HSE the week starts on a Monday. Would you suggest the introduction of a lines system? A lot of units use these now with really good benefits for both staff and the person doing the rota

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

On the 7th day, the lord rested.

Which for Jews, is Saturday. Therefore if you’re going by the Bible (for some weird reason), the week starts on Sunday.

nibtrix wrote: »
    Which for Jews, is Saturday. Therefore if you’re going by the Bible (for some weird reason), the week starts on Sunday.

But we aren't Jews, we're Christians and the Sabbath for us is a Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Nettlles

Sunday is the first day of my work week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Nettlles wrote: »
    I help my brother out with childcare on my days off but I can't tell him. Of course this doesn't concern my manager.

What you do on your days off are not your managers concern. He is employed to manage the affairs of his department. He shouldn't have any concerns for your Brothers child care arrangements with you!

• Advertisement

Giving 24 hours notice for your shifts might be legal but it is totally inconsiderate for employees who desire to have a life outside of work.

OP, if its been raised before with management without any outcome then i suggest you just go to your union and ask them to fight for it.

It seems minor to management but its important for staff to plan their lives.

Yeah apparently it's been 2years ago it was brought to hr, I'm there about 15months and can't get over how other staff put up with it

What you do on your days off are not your managers concern. He is employed to manage the affairs of his department. He shouldn't have any concerns for your Brothers child care arrangements with you!

Honestly. I know that well.
    But what if I had kids myself and I had a childminder who wants to know when he/she is working.

Are you HSE or private? In the HSE the week starts on a Monday. Would you suggest the introduction of a lines system? A lot of units use these now with really good benefits for both staff and the person doing the rota

Private, that was brought up, they don't want lines...god only knows why!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭delboythedub

I would hate to work a gob#.hite like yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I previously worked in a HSE hospital ward and we changed to self rostering (16+years ago) which allowed us to plan a calendar month on duty, a month (at least) in advance.
    Staff seniority was taken into consideration, a change between day/night duty was allowed and as everyone worked 12 hour shifts, it was actually easier to organise than one might think.
    Obviously some rules like full timers working 2 weekends/ half timers one weekend per month etc...but I'd recommend at least trialing it.

I couldn't plan my life if I didn't know from week to week what I was due to work.
    No need whatsoever for poor planning, and very inconsiderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Nettlles wrote: »
    Honestly. I know that well.
    But what if I had kids myself and I had a childminder who wants to know when he/she is working.

You're not in that position though are you so you shouldn't let that concern you!
    In the line of work that you are in I can only imagine the stress involved. You should be resting and not accommodating your brothers child care needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,973 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Not totally correct.

If you are working for someone else, eg your brother, in your off duty hours, that is your manager's concern - because you are only allowed to work for 48 hours per week on average. But your manager is not likely to accommodate this secondary employment, and may not be at all happy about it if it means you aren't getting enough rest and recreation on your days off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I disagree, this distress in not delivering a rota some weeks (or actively trying to resolve an employees issue) in advance is distressing the employee, at best it's distracting from there work, at worst it could cause someone to leave.

You need happy staff under your watch. If you think a managers job stops at just the management of his department then your under estimating the role.

Managers should be approachable about concerns to an employee both in work and outside of work, and the management should adjust based on the issue if needed. Being a rigid manager is no good these days you'll need to a flexible and firm manager based on what issues arise, been rigid 24/7 you'll make more enemy's in your role as a manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

If you are working for someone else, eg your brother, in your off duty hours, that is your manager's concern - because you are only allowed to work for 48 hours per week on average. But your manager is not likely to accommodate this secondary employment, and may not be at all happy about it if it means you aren't getting enough rest and recreation on your days off.

Give the smart stuff a rest.
    Fact - large numbers of nursing staff in the HSE work in excess of the aggregated 48hrs per wk, as they are voluntarily rostered for overtime by nursing management. If this did not happen then the system couldn't function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

TCM wrote: »
    Fact - large numbers of nursing staff in the HSE work in excess of the aggregated 48hrs per wk, as they are voluntarily rostered for overtime by nursing management. If this did not happen then the system couldn't function.

Curious are nurses exempt from the working time directive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭rock22

Not true

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

I flash them even if there isn't any sign of a speed van around

rock22 wrote:
    Not true

Most certainly is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

Most certainly is true.
    So can you confirm that the working time directive doesn't apply to nurses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Nothing in law about this
    At least the last time I looked it up there isnt
    The best I could find was 24 hours notice is required if you are being rostered

Advertisement