Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing Giant Rhubarb

Options
  • 10-10-2018 7:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any advice on how to get rid of giant rhubarb?
    What remedies and when to do it?

Thanks

Comments

I had a small clump of it about 1msq. I attacked it with a spade and pickaxe. It was a tougher job than I'd anticipated!! The root is a soft fleshy type so I just kept taking chunks from it. Eventually cleared it all and it's not been back since.
    Never tried round up on it. Might have been an easier job if I had!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Cerco wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice on how to get rid of giant rhubarb?
    What remedies and when to do it?

Thanks

Cut stalk near base and spray immediately 5% roundup. Will have to repeat next year as well. You can do it now, but when growth stops in next couple of weeks it is less effective.

You can also dig out plants, but you need to dig out all roots. Any roots left can start a new plant.

A mature plant can produce up to 1 billion seeds so you need to ensure new plants are removed in subsequent years.

Advertisement