Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tag vlan10 on wan, Mikrotik router

Options
  • 10-10-2018 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been successful with this? I've got Vodafone VDSL and I'm using PPPoE at the minute but now have a static IP so I need to change as it's still dynamically changing.

I use ether1 as my gateway port connected to a bridged Eir F2000, i created a vlan on that port in vlan 10 and added a dhcp client but it's not picking up an IP address.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Yes, but I haven't attempted it using Vodafones or Eirs Huawei router in-between.

It works perfectly using these: https://www.mikrotik-shop.de/Interfaces/SFP/Kupfer/SFP-VDSL2-Modem-Telco::2192.html

I've tested that with the HAP ac and a CCR1016.

I reckon, it can be done using the Vodafone VDSL router also. The router should just be put into bridging.

You then start the PPPoE session from the Mikrotik board.

I'm not sure, which device needs to do the Vlan tagging. Would require some testing. I can have a go at it over the weekend. I've got a Vodafone router flying about and access to VDSL lines.

/M

The VDSL SFP can also be aquired through Airwire: http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/vdsl

Don't need to be a customer, but they don't always have stock.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Start PPPoE? I am already doing that on the Mikrotik and am getting an IP address but it's dynamically changing. I've read before it's from a different pool. I need to be using IPoE which pulls from a local pool. I've also read IPoE is simply DHCP, maybe there's I've to setup different settings for the DHCP client.

I have a Vodafone modem in the shed, I'll have another play with that tomorrow but I can't see there being any difference between it or a bridged Eir modem.

Thanks for the help

I'm unsure if IPoE on Vodafone works, when it's FTTC. Could be. I've only had access to a SIRO Vodafone line and that was PPPoE.

Now, lets say you bridge the F2000, then add a Vlan10 interface on your WAN interface on the Mikrotik box. Then add the DHCP-client on that Vlan10 interface.

What happens ?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    I'm unsure if IPoE on Vodafone works, when it's FTTC. Could be. I've only had access to a SIRO Vodafone line and that was PPPoE.

Now, lets say you bridge the F2000, then add a Vlan10 interface on your WAN interface on the Mikrotik box. Then add the DHCP-client on that Vlan10 interface.

What happens ?

/M

Yeah that's exactly what I've tried. I fail to get an IP address.

I must have a look at the Vodafone modem tomorrow. I was sure Vodafone used IPoE the same as Eir on FTTC but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

Slightly off topic but this came up in my morning feeds, they've jailbroken RouterOS 6.43.2
    https://github.com/0ki/mikrotik-tools/tree/master/exploit-defconf

Mikrotik are certainly getting found out, every day there's a new hack

Right, had a play with the Huawei Vodafone modem/router and it is using PPPoE on vlan10

463546.PNG

When I add a Vlan10 to ether1 and setup pppoe on that Vlan I do not get an IP address, I do get an IP when I set pppoe directly on ether1 without vlan10 tag but it's dynamically changing. I think I may have to open a ticket with their support.

When I add a Vlan10 to ether1 and setup pppoe on that Vlan I do not get an IP address, I do get an IP when I set pppoe directly on ether1 without vlan10 tag but it's dynamically changing. I think I may have to open a ticket with their support.

That indicates, that the Vodafone router is doing the Vlan tagging for you, so you don't need to do it on the Mikrotik board.

But yes, I was pretty sure, that you needed to use PPPoE for Vodafone.

The changing IP, you will have to talk to them about a fixed IP.

/M

Advertisement