Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good steak in the city

Options
  • 10-10-2018 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Where would be the best place to go for steak in the city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rouge
    Park house hotel
    Kai

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Blakes Brasserie for me

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

always go to Scotty's for steaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

biko wrote: »
    Rouge
    Park house hotel
    Kai

Rouge seems to have gone way downhill. The steak in Kai is in a completely different league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Martines And Gemelles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

McSwiggans

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

'Magic wrote:
    =);108313544']always go to Scotty's for steaks.

I had to send a steak back last time I was in there. Asked for medium-rare, they chose a cut that was so thin it literally couldn't be cooked that way, came out very well done.

Kai would be my choice, always a great steak there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

McSwiggans

Oh no, don't do it. Overrated and expensive.

Is Rouge gone downhill? They used do a nice steak.

Blakes for me. Steak or fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Oh no, don't do it. Overrated and expensive.

Is Rouge gone downhill? They used do a nice steak.

Blakes for me. Steak or fish.

+1 on blakes

+1 mcswiggans is totally overpriced & overrated

McSwiggians do great steaks imo.

Not a fan of Kai tbh, too many "fancy" sides and stuff but not enough substance I don't really get the love for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Heard not great things about McSwiggans. Kai is great (for basically everything).

On a side note, for a slightly expensive but great steak from a butcher, go to Tormley's across from Tesco. Really really good meat

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I always reckon whenever there's conflicted reports about any place it all comes down to what chef is on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

flazio wrote: »
    I always reckon whenever there's conflicted reports about any place it all comes down to what chef is on duty.
    There's no confliction regarding Kai, it's excellent and has been recognised as so by the industry. McSwiggans gets by on a long standing reputation, wouldn't be for me, grand if you like traditional/classic food.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There's no confliction regarding Kai, it's excellent and has been recognised as so by the industry. McSwiggans gets by on a long standing reputation, wouldn't be for me, grand if you like traditional/classic food.

Like steak? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Zzippy wrote: »

Like steak? ;)
    Yup a classic for sure, can easily be cooked and presented in a modern way too though.

Yup a classic for sure, can easily be cooked and presented in a modern way too though.

Which is what I dislike about kai, to me what they serve is not near as nice a steak served in a classic way with normal veg and potato/chips. I've been there twice and on both occasions some other people were ohhing and ahhing at the food and how great it was where as I was pretty disappointed as I didn't think a lot of their flavours worked well at all (not steak in particular just in general across starters and mains).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

cooperguy wrote: »
    Heard not great things about McSwiggans.

First time I've heard that.

McSwiggans is the safest option in town, great for when you have to book a group dinner that caters for less adventurous eaters. I wouldn't go there otherwise but it's excellent at what it does IMHO.

Gigi's restaurant in the G Hotel

I let out an involuntary groan with the first bite, the steak was cooked so perfectly and the sauce was a treat for the senses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

cooperguy wrote: »
    Heard not great things about McSwiggans. Kai is great (for basically everything).

On a side note, for a slightly expensive but great steak from a butcher, go to Tormley's across from Tesco. Really really good meat

Mcgrath’s out in mervue is the finest butcher in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Funny hearing McSwiggans v Kai. I would agree McSwiggans is where you take your gran or parents who have been going there for special occasions for an eternity. Safe option, didn't disappoint, but not what I'd choose. We went to Kai recently and I get the hipster vibe with a hint of pretension others have noticed. I thought our waiter, Zach Galifianakis, was hilarious but my wife was put off by the whole vibe. I had the monkfish but the steaks I saw going by looked amazing. I do a damned good steak at home regularly but I wouldn't bet on mine based on looks alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

First time I've heard that.

McSwiggans is the safest option in town, great for when you have to book a group dinner that caters for less adventurous eaters. I wouldn't go there otherwise but it's excellent at what it does IMHO.

Maybe I was a little overkill. Its supposed to be grand. You probably described it right. Biggest complaint from the last person I know that went there was the 3 steaks on the table were over done. If you want medium, order rare and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I order steaks rare, in mcswiggans every time it's well done . There are no sides bar these hard potatoes they've also over cooked. They charge highly for this ?! I've given it loads of chances as its reputation and family gatherings etc but won't darken the door again!

Whatever about people liking it - that's grand !; but as a recommendation for steaks in Galway - we can do better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

McSwiggans went downhill years ago. It's crap boring food and crap service.
    I am surprised they are still considered a restaurant. I would rather have carvery in a hotel than go to McSwiggans for anything, especially a decent steak.
    It's expensive because of reputation but that is dying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McSwiggans went downhill years ago. It's crap boring food and crap service.

That wasn't what I experienced when I went there with a work group earlier in the year.

Many safe (boring, predictable) food options, yes. Fewer non-predictable ones, yes. But that was what we were looking for with this group.

And ya know ... if it's a recommendation for steak, then that's really the classic in boring, predictable food choices.

ArtyC wrote: »
    I order steaks rare, in mcswiggans every time it's well done . There are no sides bar these hard potatoes they've also over cooked.

Also not consistent with what I experienced, or with the menu currently on their website:

463808.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

+1 for Gemelles. Steak comes out on a stone and you can basically leave it on until it is cooked to you liking.

Redo91 wrote: »
    +1 for Gemelles. Steak comes out on a stone and you can basically leave it on until it is cooked to you liking.

Good to know... definitely a place to avoid. If I want to cook my own steak I'll do it at home for a fraction of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Redo91

Redo91 wrote: »

Good to know... definitely a place to avoid. If I want to cook my own steak I'll do it at home for a fraction of the cost.
    It arrives on your table cooked rare. You just leave it on the stone longer if you like it done more. It’s not rocket science. If you’re not a fan of good steak then yes it is a place to avoid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

I would say that if you're getting steak in a restaurant it should be cooked to your liking and allowed to rest before being served.

Best steak in town is the black angus steak in Aldi, get two for less than half the price of an inferior one in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I would say that if you're getting steak in a restaurant it should be cooked to your liking and allowed to rest before being served.

Completely agree. The idea of a steak dripping all over a stone seems pretty repulsive and a bit of an anachronism really. It was a novelty 10 to 15 years ago.

Best steak in town is the black angus steak in Aldi, get two for less than half the price of an inferior one in a restaurant.

Agreed. Aldi's meat really is superb. Their 30 day aged steaks are gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

We went to Kai... I thought our waiter, Zach Galifianakis, was hilarious

???

Advertisement