Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyesight and cycling

Options
  • 10-10-2018 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭

I am curious on what options people take in terms of their eyesight while cycling.
    I wear glasses in every day life. Eyesight isn't that bad but still wear pretty much throughout the day.

When cycling, I don't wear them. I don't have prescription riding glasses and in any case, I find that when cycling, sweat from my brow drips on to the inside of the lens which is very frustrating. I haven't got in to the practice of wearing contacts yet.

For the most part, I don't feel it is a problem when riding, as I said my eyesight isn't that poor but there are times when I feel it does affect me. Picking out small potholes on a road surface with a lot of light/shadow is a problem and I feel that it also negatively impacts my confidence when descending as I am not as sure of the lines or road surface at speed.

So, what do others do, prescription cycling glasses? Contact Lenses? No glasses?
    Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I wear glasses all day, and keep them on on the bike. The padding in the helmet is usually sufficient to stop the sweat, but they do tend to fog up a little (when stopped) on colder days. If you don’t wear a helmet, maybe a cap with sweatband? Have cheap prescription sunglasses too for sunnier days. Specsavers do 2 for 1 most of the time, so I just got their cheapest own brand sunglasses and got the exact same pair free, one kept in the car and the other for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Without being judgemental, if you wouldn't drive without your glasses, you shouldn't ride without them. So much about riding depends on being able to read road conditions well ahead - looking over hedges 100m away to see if a car is around the corner, etc.

I use contacts or my normal glasses when riding. Can't say sweat has been a problem for me, though obviously everyone varies. If the pads in your helmet aren't good enough for dealing with the sweat, then an actual sweatband might be a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

I wear glasses daily. I could get by without them on the bike, but I don't. Never had a problem with sweat dripping onto them except sometimes indoors with the turbo, so maybe you need to get a pair that sit closer to your face?

I've used disposable contacts in the past which were good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

These days I need glasses for distance, reading and computer. I've now got three pairs:
    1. Bifocal distance + reading for home
    2. Single vision computer for work
    3. Bifocal distance + computer for bike ('cos handlebars are around the same distance as a monitor)

Bike glasses are sport glasses with polycarbonate, light reactive lenses.

Got all three pairs from http://zennioptical.com with all the bells and whistles for around €200 delivered. Probably around €500 sourced locally...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

seamus wrote: »
    Without being judgemental, if you wouldn't drive without your glasses, you shouldn't ride without them.
    I don't know, I do wear them for driving (and have done pretty much since passing my test), but I'm still a good bit above the legal limit. I did look into contact lenses for the bike, and the optician (who could've sold them or sports glasses to be fair) didn't think there was much benefit, and the lenses (for either option) would be so thin as to be problematic!

There was a crowd in the UK that I nearly pulled the trigger on, which seemed to the best of the bunch. Both in laws went with inserts, which were much cheaper options, swappable outer lenses etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Got all three pairs from http://zennioptical.com with all the bells and whistles for around €200 delivered. Probably around €500 sourced locally...

Wow, that is seriously good value. I have pretty terrible eyesight and use distance glasses most of the time and reading glasses for reading and sometimes on the computer. I got a set of prescription sports sunglasses from Specsavers along with the other two pairs which all in cost me about €520, which I actually thought was decent value at the time.

For cycling I use the sports sunglasses as they keep out wind descending and low sun from the sides which I find can be blinding otherwise. Downside is they kill some peripheral vision to turning the head to see oncoming traffic is more of a challenge. I got bar mirrors to help this which are ok but not brilliant. For short midday spins I just use the regular specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,657 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

cdaly_ wrote: »
    These days I need glasses for distance, reading and computer. I've now got three pairs:
    1. Bifocal distance + reading for home
    2. Single vision computer for work
    3. Bifocal distance + computer for bike ('cos handlebars are around the same distance as a monitor)

Bike glasses are sport glasses with polycarbonate, light reactive lenses.

That looks a good option. Was there an element of trial and error in identifying the right frame sizes and so on or were you immediately happy with your first order?

seamus wrote: »
    Without being judgemental, if you wouldn't drive without your glasses, you shouldn't ride without them. So much about riding depends on being able to read road conditions well ahead - looking over hedges 100m away to see if a car is around the corner, etc.

Respectfully, I disagree. I have much more time to react when cycling given the difference in speed so don't feel glasses are absolutely necessary just because they are worn when driving.

I have never had a near miss (touch wood) caused as a result of the quality of my eyesight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Respectfully, I disagree. I have much more time to react when cycling given the difference in speed so don't feel glasses are absolutely necessary just because they are worn when driving.

Do you not find fast descents or cycling in heavy wind to be a pain without glasses? Even if I didn't need them for eyesight, I'd be wearing them cycling anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

I wear glasses when driving and watching tv, i never really bothered with contact lenses until I began cycling a few years ago, they were the best decision I have made, i tend to sweat a lot when cycling and inserts in sunglasses would be a disaster .
    The only problem have had with contact lenses is when i am racing, they sometimes blow out with the high speed, even when wearing sunglasses, i sourced a pair of glasses that prevented this but they got destroyed in a recent crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sullzz wrote: »
    The only problem have had with contact lenses is when i am racing, they sometimes blow out with the high speed, even when wearing sunglasses, i sourced a pair of glasses that prevented this but they got destroyed in a recent crash.

Wind Jackets will give enough coverage to prevent such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Does everyone not wear glasses as eye protection from bugs?? If I don't wear them, I can be reasonably confident of a fly in the eye every couple of rides. And once or twice a year, a real thump on the lens from a bee or something that would take your eye out. Not to mention loose chippings....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

brownian wrote: »
    Does everyone not wear glasses as eye protection from bugs?? If I don't wear them, I can be reasonably confident of a fly in the eye every couple of rides. And once or twice a year, a real thump on the lens from a bee or something that would take your eye out. Not to mention loose chippings....

I never cycle without glasses on, its like driving without a seatbelt, it just doesn't feel right without them.

smacl wrote: »
    Do you not find fast descents or cycling in heavy wind to be a pain without glasses? Even if I didn't need them for eyesight, I'd be wearing them cycling anyway.

Not particularly. Yes, my eyes can water but, that same wind which makes them water also blows the moisture away.

I found the sweat dripping on to the inside of the lens to be a bigger pain than the wind in the eye and so ditched the glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm short-sighted, and I just wear my usual glasses when cycling. I can't recall having any problem. My general approach is that my outfit for leaving the house on foot is the same outfit for leaving with the bike.

brownian wrote: »

This could be my bias given that I've been cycling for the last two years without glasses, but I was actually thinking about this on a recent spin.
    I found myself blinking one eye shut momentarily before a bug hit it, like it was a reaction to my eye seeing the bug coming before my brain said "there's a bug". It got me wondering do we mind our eyes more (nearly even without knowing we do it) when we are not wearing any protection.

I do agree though glasses should obviously give more protection but (again, fingers crossed)I have had no real discomfort as a result of cycling without them to this point.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I'm short-sighted, and I just wear my usual glasses when cycling. I can't recall having any problem. My general approach is that my outfit for leaving the house on foot is the same outfit for leaving with the bike.

Are you a commuter cyclist, as in you are dressing for the destination not the journey and so are not wearing bib-shorts, helmet or cycling shoes?

I probably would wear my glasses if I felt I needed them at the end of a cycle such as when commuting.

Are you a commuter cyclist, as in you are dressing for the destination not the journey and so are not wearing bib-shorts, helmet or cycling shoes?

I probably would wear my glasses if I felt I needed them at the end of a cycle such as when commuting.
    I'm a pretty-much-every-possible-journey-by-bike cyclist. Which is a mixture of multiple short- and medium-length journeys every day. I don't think I've ever cycled more than 30km in one go, or 70km in one day, so my experience isn't applicable to people doing centuries and the like, I presume.

(I've never worn bib shorts or cycling shoes, to answer your question. I did wear the h-word for a few years, but let's not go down that rabbit hole.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I have had no real discomfort as a result of cycling without them to this point.

I never wear glasses just don't like them, never had a real problem.

On a side note I do wear reading glasses so don't forget to put a pair of Aldi/Lidl readers in the saddle bag in case you need to do repairs....a friend told me.....:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There's no way I would ride a bike without glasses. Even ride the turbo with them. Having said that I would not walk down the street without them either! Of course, I do have prescription cycling sunglasses to match my black, white, blue, orange and red helmets

:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I've bad eyesight, I wouldn't even consider going out the door without them never mind getting up on a bike.
    I wear my normal glasses 100% of the time. I'm going to experiment with contacts, as the sunglasses over specs is annoying.
    The only issues I have is that the shape of my current glasses direct all the air directly up to my eyes, and crap from the road. The surface of my eyes are permanently scarred from the barrage of crap hitting them, so my optician recommended contacts. I'd failed at them a few years ago (have astigmatisms) but the tech has moved on and I'm getting on well with them now. Much less breezy without my glasses on ironically. Want some proper glasses now for protection. I have heard stories of contacts pinging out at speed though, so I'll always wear my glasses when racing. My glasses also fog up when stopped in cold weather. not a huge issue as they clear as soon as you start moving.

OP wear your glasses. It's very foolish not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

This could be my bias given that I've been cycling for the last two years without glasses, but I was actually thinking about this on a recent spin.
    I found myself blinking one eye shut momentarily before a bug hit it, like it was a reaction to my eye seeing the bug coming before my brain said "there's a bug". It got me wondering do we mind our eyes more (nearly even without knowing we do it) when we are not wearing any protection.

I do agree though glasses should obviously give more protection but (again, fingers crossed)I have had no real discomfort as a result of cycling without them to this point.

After a couple of eyes-full of bugs, I guess I can conclude my eyes are slower than yours! And after a couple of thumps from big flying things, I'm happy enough to have been wearing glasses....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I’ve perfect eyesight, but I never cycle without glasses...

Clear lens: for night time/ very overcast days

Orange lens: for dull/overcast days

Dark lenses: for bright /sunny days.

There is one exception... when cycling at night and it’s raining. I have to take off my glasses as the water drops on the glasses combined with the headlamps of oncoming traffic makes it impossible to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... I find that when cycling, sweat from my brow drips on to the inside of the lens which is very frustrating....
    A cycling cap under the helmet will sort out that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I wear cycling glasses from optilabs. Can't be dealing with the snots from watery eyes from cycling with ordinary glasses and I live in Australia so it's a bit bright and uncomfortable without them.

Deffo wouldn't be comfortable without glasses. My eyesight wouldn't be good enough to read the lay of the road immediately in front of me plus the little things like avoiding shards of glass and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

That looks a good option. Was there an element of trial and error in identifying the right frame sizes and so on or were you immediately happy with your first order?

They (zennioptical) have instructions on measuring your pupillary distance (you can ask your optician for that, it's not routinely written on a prescription). They also give all dimensions on their frames. You can upload a photo to use to try on any frame. You'd be best off measuring an existing frame you're happy with first.

Postage is not quick, can take a month. With three glasses wearers, I've bought around 15+ pairs of glasses from them over the years and saved loads. I got done for customs duty and vat once over that time.

I had to send back one pair of glasses due to an incorrect intermediate value being used but I reckon this was down to the optician at eye test. Because it was my mistake rather than theirs, I had to pay postage for the return and got store credit rather than a refund but that was ok as I was getting another pair anyhow. That pair was a 'sport glasses' with prescription insert behind the wrap around lens. Didn't work for me anyhow as my eyelashes were brushing off the prescription lens at every blink. Instead, I got the 'sport' bi-focal glasses which look like ordinary but with plastic frames and lenses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A cycling cap under the helmet will sort out that.
    hy head is sweaty enough as it is without warming it more, though.
    i find the design of the glasses makes a big difference - ones which sit away from your eyebrows are much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I wear cycling glasses from optilabs.
    That's the company I nearly went with. Seemed the best value for money at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

In the last couple of years, a few manufacturers like Bolle have managed to start squeezing prescriptions (down to about -6, including astigmatisms) into wraparound sunglasses, including cycling glasses. I got a pair last year, and they're the business. Before that, I wore my regular glasses, which was a pain as the wind blew in around the sides on descents and made my eyes water. Also, in misty conditions, the mist could blow in from the side and coat the inside of the lenses, and the wind wouldn't clear it. The wraparounds weren't cheap, but they're worth every penny for someone as blind as myself.

Advertisement