Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamal Khashoggi disappearance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

glasso wrote: »
    I'd imagine that they are fake.

Yeah, there's a lot of fake stuff going around at the moment. The picture of his head, for example, is fake. There's also some untrustworthy news making its way out of Turkey such as the finding of his body parts. They may well have been found but the reporting of it is still quite shaky.

The Turks are keeping this story alive

Khashoggi strangled straight away after he entered the consulate according to them now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46049204

they seem to be pished off at the lack of co-operation from the Saudis on this and hence releasing more details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Restating the obvious

Nothing will happen ,the Brits the Americans and the Russians don't care

If it suited the alliance they'd make a case for WW4 over it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭Odhinn

smurgen wrote: »
    If the pictures i've seen on whatsapp of the body are genuine i believe this story will not be swept under the rug.absolutely horrendous.

Hundreds of thousands - well into the millions - have died victims of various US allies and little to nothing came of it. The killing here will be a small blip on the radar, and more than likely "solved" when an underling or two throw themselves (or are thrown) to the lions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

glasso wrote: »
    The Turks are keeping this story alive

Khashoggi strangled straight away after he entered the consulate according to them now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46049204

they seem to be pished off at the lack of co-operation from the Saudis on this and hence releasing more details
    This does not seem to tally with the initial reports of his killing that came out of Istanbul. Especially the pretty gruesome ones of his torture before he was killed. Either those were false or Turkey has done some kind of deal with MBS and this is the agreed and sanitised version. The way it's played out would suggest that the Turks were blackmailing the Saudis.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The way it's played out would suggest that the Turks were blackmailing the Saudis.

That's such an ugly word, I think mutually agreeable arrangement is much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This does not seem to tally with the initial reports of his killing that came out of Istanbul. Especially the pretty gruesome ones of his torture before he was killed. Either those were false or Turkey has done some kind of deal with MBS and this is the agreed and sanitised version. The way it's played out would suggest that the Turks were blackmailing the Saudis.

Thats the way I would see it myself, a deal has been done behind the scenes to put an end to the matter.

As an aside it is interesting to how the international community reacted to this vis a vis the Russian poisioning of Skripal in the UK. Russuan diplomats were expelled in numerous countries including Ireland. In comparison there hasnt been any action from western states on the Saudis compared to the ruptions with the Russians.

Also I think one of the Sunday papers had a story about the amount of Saudi diplomats operating in Dublin, far more than there is in London. Did anyone read the story and what reasons did it give for the heavy Saudi presence attached to the Dublin embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Also I think one of the Sunday papers had a story about the amount of Saudi diplomats operating in Dublin, far more than there is in London. Did anyone read the story and what reasons did it give for the heavy Saudi presence attached to the Dublin embassy.

No, I'd be really curious though cause I can't really think of any legitimate reasons?

The article about the Saudi involvement in Ireland was in the Sunday Business Post but it is behind a paywall.
    https://www.businesspost.ie/news/revealed-irelands-saudi-ties-spotlight-journalists-slaughter-429172

I know there are a lot of Saudi students here and we sell them a lot of beef. Not sure what the military equipment refers to in the byline of the article. Its still a wonder though that the Dublin embassy has more diplomats attached to it than the London one. You would wonder are they using their Dublin embassy in the same way the Russians are, i.e a hub for spying on others across Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Jameswhalley

Did anyone here from the gobernment open their gobs on the matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Did anyone here from the gobernment open their gobs on the matter?

You know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.

Ireland has nothing to offer in this matter between regional powers. Khashoggi crossed the wrong Arab. The end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I have been keeping up with the broadcasts on ALjazeera,

The update is that he was suffocated to death, and then cut into pieces and put in acid, so if this is the case, there is no evidence left,
    Trump is still backing them and keeping the cash for arms deals with them,
    I am thinking Trump is nervous of this whole thing, could have a lot to lose personally if he rocks the boat

Doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Erdogan is going after mister bone saw

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46077894

The tide could be turning for bone saw. Moves are afoot

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/exclusive-saudi-dissident-prince-flies-home-tackle-mbs-succession-58983364

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,917 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    What he's giving them is control over the judiciary for a generation.. They really couldn't care less about anything else..

He has appointed an enormous amount of lifetime appointment judges that hold very solid right wing (or indeed extreme right wing) viewpoints , so for the evangelicals and the true "conservatives" they are happy to live with the short term pain/embarrassment/ridicule that comes from having an utter imbecile as President as they are playing the long game and see the next 30 years of laws being shaped in their image..

Ah yes, the "christian evangelical" base. Is there a more hypocritical group existing in the world today?

https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/1065722136030007296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

everlast75 wrote: »
    Ah yes, the "christian evangelical" base. Is there a more hypocritical group existing in the world today?

https://twitter.com/CheriJacobus/status/1065722136030007296

These arent evangelists, in fact they arent even christian. These are wealthy people who use religion as a tool to preserve or increase their wealth.

There is nothing pious about them, They are just nest featherers and take people for idiots. Which many people oblige

• Registered Users Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

His term is, as it started out, a business opportunity. His decisions are based purely on his idea of future (and possibility current) business opportunities.

Why would he risk losing out on potential business in Russia or Saudi? He is thinking maybe 2 more years, max of 6. Then its over. He can use this time to ensure he has 1st dibs on any deals. He isn't going to risk that for some journalist.

Does Mr Trump have property in Saudi, it has to be a personal thing, but then again, there is a lot of money for the economy if they don't break ties with Saudi,
    I don't think there will be any change in that front

goat2 wrote: »
    Does Mr Trump have property in Saudi, it has to be a personal thing, but then again, there is a lot of money for the economy if they don't break ties with Saudi,
    I don't think there will be any change in that front

other way around..

https://grabien.com/story.php?id=199355

In addition, they have pumped significant sums of money into two of Trump's hotels.

Yes then, there is a business arrangement long before Mr Trump took office, this makes it awkward for him,
    Business and private is so mixed up in this in that case

• Advertisement

This whole incident has been sick, from his murder, dismembering and then the constant denials of the Saudis. I thought the sickest part of the whole episode was Khasoggis son having to show up to MBS and shake his hand basically knowing that the prince was responsible for his dads murder. The Saudis had his passport and if he didnt show up to shake the hand of his dads murderer he might have been next, and he knew it.

This is a little out of leftfield, for such a Trump sycophant

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1067858171606249473?s=19

5 members of the Saudi hit team are looking at the death penalty if convicted.
    Saudi Arabia's attorney general sought the death penalty for five of 11 defendants charged with the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi as their high-profile trial opened in Riyadh yesterday.

All 11 accused were present with their lawyers at the opening hearing in the capital, according to a statement by the attorney general carried by the official Saudi Press Agency (SPA).

The attorney general said Saudi Arabia had twice submitted formal requests for evidence from Turkey - where Mr Khashoggi was murdered inside the kingdom's Istanbul consulate - but had received no response.

The names of the defendants have not been officially released. Five top officials in Saudi Arabia - including royal court insider Saud al-Qahtani - were sacked over the Mr Khashoggi murder, but there is no proof that they are among those charged.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/death-penalty-being-sought-as-khashoggi-trial-opens-37679924.html

Will MBS follow through on this? He would literally be killing five of his own henchmen in an attempt to buy cover for himself. Seems daft as everyone knows he ordered the killing of Khalshoggi and the hit team turned up prepared with bone saws and acid to do it in Turkey. He was in on this plan from the get go but now its caused a diplomatic storm he is not happy and is lining these five up for the death penalty.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/middle-east/death-penalty-being-sought-as-khashoggi-trial-opens-37679924.html

Will MBS follow through on this? He would literally be killing five of his own henchmen in an attempt to buy cover for himself. Seems daft as everyone knows he ordered the killing of Khalshoggi and the hit team turned up prepared with bone saws and acid to do it in Turkey. He was in on this plan from the get go but now its caused a diplomatic storm he is not happy and is lining these five up for the death penalty.

Absolutely. This was the prediction by a lot in the know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

The only thing we can be sure of is that whatever the outcome of the trial, it will have been politically orchestrated and justice as we understand it will not be served.

What form does a murder trial take in Saudi?
    Public/private?
    Burden of proof rest with defence/prosecution?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I don't doubt that he will, The Kingdom Of SAudi Arabia is not a democracy or anything like it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭Spannerplank

MadYaker wrote: »
    I don't doubt that he will, The Kingdom Of SAudi Arabia is not a democracy or anything like it.

The poisoning of the Skripals in the UK resulted in international sanctions and was called an "act of war".

khashoggi was butchered and his body will never be found and there is not so much as a peep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,110 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The poisoning of the Skripals in the UK resulted in international sanctions and was called an "act of war".

khashoggi was butchered and his body will never be found and there is not so much as a peep.

It's not so cut and dried. The events and circumstances are a bit different. The Kremlin is hostile to much of the West, has been waging hybrid and information warfare against a number of countries for years. There have been many "recent" events, e.g. when the Kremlin bumped off Litvenenko in the UK with Polonium there was a lot of "noise" (like Khashoggi) but not much in the way of direct action/sanctions related to that. It was only later, with the Skripal attack, that we saw more concrete action - action as the result of a culmination of incidents. Again the treatment of "allied" vs "hostile" nations will always be different.

Saudi has much "friendlier" ties with Western countries. It looks like MBS has had someone murdered and while there has been a lot of "noise" and condemnation about it, you are right there isn't much in the way of sanctions at the moment

Two different situations, but I would agree that it's not a "fair" response. Unfortunately international geopolitics is not really a "fair" world.

Khashoggi and recent events (like Rahaf Al-Qunun) are turning a spotlight on Saud and MBS. If MBS took further actions (having people murdered) I would not be surprised to be international sanctions

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    It's not so cut and dried. The events and circumstances are a bit different. The Kremlin is hostile to much of the West, has been waging hybrid and information warfare against a number of countries for years. There have been many "recent" events, e.g. when the Kremlin bumped off Litvenenko in the UK with Polonium there was a lot of "noise" (like Khashoggi) but not much in the way of direct action/sanctions related to that. It was only later, with the Skripal attack, that we saw more concrete action - action as the result of a culmination of incidents. Again the treatment of "allied" vs "hostile" nations will always be different.

Saudi has much "friendlier" ties with Western countries. It looks like MBS has had someone murdered and while there has been a lot of "noise" and condemnation about it, you are right there isn't much in the way of sanctions at the moment

Two different situations, but I would agree that it's not a "fair" response. Unfortunately international geopolitics is not really a "fair" world.

Khashoggi and recent events (like Rahaf Al-Qunun) are turning a spotlight on Saud and MBS. If MBS took further actions (having people murdered) I would not be surprised to be international sanctions

You can rationalise it until you are blue in the face. When met with hypocrisy and double standards you can talk about context or "whataboutery".

If you think that an attempted murder by a perceived adversary warrants collective punishment but an actual murder by a perceived ally does not then fine.

I know where you stand.

• Advertisement

Dohnjoe wrote: »

An illegal land, sea and air blockade of Yemen? Is that not enough?

Advertisement