Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Cycling Clothes

Options
  • 10-10-2018 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I have just started to do a section of my daily commute by bike (currently use the Dublin Bikes although I am looking at possibly getting a fold up via BTW scheme) and at the moment I just wear gym gear with a reflective vest and helmet and put my work clothes in a back pack which is working relatively well. However, I know as it starts to get a little cooler and wetter I will probably need proper winter ready cycling clothes. I only have the option of cycling for the last 20 mins of my commute into work and am enjoying it so far so would ideally like to be geared up to do it all winter regardless of the weather (I might give the high winds on Friday a miss though as I dont fancy being on the quays for those).

I was hoping to get a little advice on what I might need and suggestions of brands/shops to target? Is traditional rain gear the best option or is something with breathable quick drying fabric better? Comfort is also key as I will be wearing the clothes for a long train journey before/after the cycle part of my commute. Also to note I have long hair so am slightly at a loss on how to protect it from the rain & wind (waterproof hood maybe?!?).

Any advice on waterproof bags/backpacks would also be great. Currently looking at the Henty Wingman as it seems to have decent storage (laptop, lunch, shoes etc) and the option to pack work clothes crease free is appealing. But I don't know how easy it is to access the internal tube section - there may be more user friendly options?

Thanks for all your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

For a 20 minute cycle I’d say your current setup is perfect. Just bring a spare pair of clothes for the cycle home in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Regarding a waterproof backpack - just wrap laptop in a plastic bin liner and clothes in a smaller plastic bag.

Leave shoes at work if you can.

I'd agree with 07Lapierre - for a short 20 min cycle it not worth getting waterproof clothes or special cycling gear. (...and it doesn't rain near as often as people think it does).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

You could take a look in aldi, they had cycling gear ofr sale recently, you might pick up some useful gear.

I use (unpadded) running/compression tights under cotton shorts and a cycling top with a high vis jacket. I think aldi sold some "merino long johns" in their recent sale which would do that job fine. there may be some still knocking arounda few shelves.

the advantage of the tighs is that it really doesn't matter if they get wet. they are still comfortable. And they are warmer than bare legs.

If you are a woman I imagine ordinary nylon tights would be absolutely fine as well.

I just checked - looks like lidl are selling some that would work under shorts this weekend.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=12695

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

You mention that this is the last part of your commute - is the first part car or bus/train?

If the latter then, why not just cycle in your work clothes? Its only 20mins. Get some cheapo waterproofs to put over?

If going by car and then taking off by bike gym gear is fine, but you'll need another layer or two.

Probably the most common configuration is vest/baselayer, jersey (tightish wool jumper does fine) and (from about now) a gilet that is windproof on the front. That could be a cycle specific jacket if you run cold. You'll see lots of "softshell" jackets that are windproof and will tolerate rain for a short time but will probably make you feel quite hot if you're putting out any sort of effort.

I wouldn't get one of those but keep the gilet and get a light packable rain jacket for wet weather. The gym gear will dry quickly and you just need to keep warm.

If you have to dry/air these clothes in your workplace it helps if there's no sweaty odour - anything made of wool will be very odour resistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 greenwaving

aldark wrote: »
    You mention that this is the last part of your commute - is the first part car or bus/train?

If the latter then, why not just cycle in your work clothes? Its only 20mins. Get some cheapo waterproofs to put over?
    Travel by car, then train for an hour followed by the 10 min walk before onto the bike. I did start by wearing my work clothes but, maybe its my lack of fitness as I havent been cycling in years, but I arrived in a hot sweaty mess so I quickly abandoned that tact. So would really prefer seperate clothes for the cycle but ones that are warm enough for much colder weather (my current gear is fine in this mild weather but wouldnt hold up when the temperature drops) and waterproof and/or quick drying so that they are relatively comfortable for the train home. I am fortunate enough that work has drying facilities if I need to take advantage of this.

Thanks for all the suggestions re configurations - that is really helpful. I am going to take a peek in lidl this weekend as well and might be in luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭aldark

forgot to mention - you'll also need long fingered gloves, a hat, and a buff. When its cold you'll want something to keep your ears warm! Gloves that keep your hands warm, but not sweaty, dry and not too hot are hard to find. Aldi/lidl do a reasonable winter glove for short distances.

Advertisement