Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skellig Michael

Options
  • 10-10-2018 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi lads I'm looking to . . hopefully. . . get a private boat to this island as I'm looking to photograph it for an hour or whatever time is possible as part of a series on monastic life in Ireland.

I'm wondering does anybody know anyone who runs private trips for say two to three people? I'm guessing the season is over but would be great if anyone out there knows anyone.

Comments

If you're talking about getting on to the island, I understand that when the season is over, it's over - even if weather permitted (which is unlikely) you are not allowed land a boat there. Not sure anyone has a licence to so so off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Access outside the OPW permitted season is prohibited. However OPW staff do land outside the season to carry out works on the island. You should contact them to find out if they would permit you to land, and under what conditions (eg must be accompanied by OPW staff).

Details on the boats available are easily found online. A call to a couple would help you to identify one who might bring you out. Note - their insurance may limit their passenger-carrying activity from Sept/Oct to March, I'm not sure on that point.

Apart from all that the biggest constraint is the weather. You could arrange to go out several times, and have the trip cancelled each time due to the swell - even in mid-summer.

Advertisement