Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you look at your phone while walking

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The onus has ALWAYS been on the driver to notice the pedestrian. The driver is the one in control of the lethal weapon.

Rubbish it is not one sided. So there is absolutely no personal responsibility on a pedestrian blindly walking across the road without looking?
    Doing so with complete disregard for thier personal safety in a face of approaching 'lethal weapons'?

I remember the days when at the very least people used to look both ways when crossing the road.

You must have noticed it when you are in a car/bus etc - that it is becoming the exception rather than the rule for a pedestrian to look both ways when crossing the road.
    Why is this?
    Primarily because of mobile phones.

The safe cross code adverts were obviously completely lost on you?

Now we have this....

Padded lampposts in London...

Common sense does not seem to be a common commodity anymore.
    (fella looking at his phone @ 0:29)

Mobile phones have made pedestrians into zombies:

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

maccored wrote: »
    no, but I was wondering why so many do. outside of looking up google maps for directions, I dont get it

Because these are vapid times we live in.

My phone is off when I'm walking, I'm usually on my way to something which is of more interest or importance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm walking as I type this!
    I've never been in an accident and I doubt I ev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Happy to make way for joggers, I don’t give an inch to cyclists in the footpath (daily occurrence) and I don’t make way for pedestrians not paying attention to where they are going.

My veiw on this is that there is an unspoken common sense set of rules which guide who's place it is to move out of the way and these rules should be adhered to whether the oncoming person is walking/jogging/biking or looking at a fone.

For example, if a group of say 3 ppl are walking side by side oncoming and you are walking on the curb side, it is not for you to either step onto the road or alternatively to walk around the other side of the 3 ppl staying on the pavement. In that instance it's not my place to move - it's theirs.

For me the number of pedestrians who don't adhere to these common sense rules are much more irritating than any occasional jogger or biker. I have also found that when jogging myself some c*nts will deliberately not move when it's their place to move. They get the elbow treatment when that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Rubbish it is not one sided.
    It kinda is.

When you're responsible for a tonne or two of metal travelling at 20-120 kmph in an area that you know will be used by pedestrians and cyclists, then you need to not kill people. You need to drive, as required by law, in a manner that allows you stop within the distance you can see to be clear. You need to expect the unexpected.

You did see the stats behind that Luas video, right?

In the whole of 2018, there were 25 incidents were the Luas made contact with vehicles, nine incidents involving pedestrians and one involving a cyclist.

AllForIt wrote: »
    I have also found that when jogging myself some c*nts will deliberately not move when it's their place to move. They get the elbow treatment when that happens.
    Is this for real? You elbow people out of your way when you're jogging?

If so, I know who the c*nt is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Is this for real? You elbow people out of your way when you're jogging?

If so, I know who the c*nt is here.

Let me be clear. Actually I'm recount a real life past experience. I'm running on the curb side with 3 women oncoming walking abreast. To pass them I either have to hop onto the road temporarily or go around the other side of them. In that instance it is their place to give way and not mine. In such a scenario yes they will get the elbow treatment when they are the ones being pigheaded.

Oh and in future if your going to quote me don't quote me out of context for effect. It was pretty clear what I meant in my post. I don't go around elbowing ppl for the fun it unlike those who do behave pigheadedly for the fun of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Do you look at your phone while walking around town?

Nah mang, that's a one way ticket to kiss a lampost.

• Advertisement

It kinda is.

When you're responsible for a tonne or two of metal travelling at 20-120 kmph in an area that you know will be used by pedestrians and cyclists, then you need to not kill people. You need to drive, as required by law, in a manner that allows you stop within the distance you can see to be clear. You need to expect the unexpected.

It is either is or it is not.
    Is an individual not responsible to be aware of a tonne or two of metal travelling at 20-120 kmph? And is it not incumbent upon an individual not blindly walk across the road?

You are basically advocating that all individuals could feasibly be permitted to walk across the road with thier eyes closed from any point of a road, in any road conditions- then the complete responsibility is on the motorist.

You should try it sometime. ;)
    Please!

AllForIt wrote: »
    Let me be clear. Actually I'm recount a real life past experience. I'm running on the curb side with 3 women oncoming walking abreast. To pass them I either have to hop onto the road temporarily or go around the other side of them. In that instance it is their place to give way and not mine. In such a scenario yes they will get the elbow treatment when they are the ones being pigheaded.

Oh and in future if your going to quote me don't quote me out of context for effect. It was pretty clear what I meant in my post. I don't go around elbowing ppl for the fun it unlike those who do behave pigheadedly for the fun of it.

Yeah, the context is so much clearer now that I know that it is women that you elbow to barge your way through on your jogs, because they fail to comply with some rule that only exists inside your head.

Look, I've used the elbows when a cyclist barges through on the pavement or pushes through a red light while I'm crossing. Usually for a bloke, mind you, I'm fairly sure I've never elbowed a female. I'm not averse to the principle of direct action when right is on your side.

But whatever rule you're thinking about isn't really a rule, it's just something you've made up. What you're describing is at best bullying and at worst assault.

It is either is or it is not.
    Is an individual not responsible to be aware of a tonne or two of metal travelling at 20-120 kmph? And is it not incumbent upon an individual not blindly walk across the road?

You are basically advocating that all individuals could feasibly be permitted to walk across the road with thier eyes closed from any point of a road, in any road conditions- then the complete responsibility is on the motorist.

You should try it sometime. ;)
    Please!

Tell you what, why don't you direct your 'advice' at the motorists who are killing 2 or 3 people each week on the roads and maiming many more - mostly other motorists and passengers. Give those motorists the advice as to what they need to do and not do, and then when you've got them sorted, you can come back to lecturing pedestrians with some credibility. I never fail to be amazed by the enthusiasm to come with lectures for cyclists and pedestrians while letting motorists go scott free.

Tell you what, why don't you direct your 'advice' at the motorists who are killing 2 or 3 people each week on the roads and maiming many more - mostly other motorists and passengers. Give those motorists the advice as to what they need to do and not do, and then when you've got them sorted, you can come back to lecturing pedestrians with some credibility. I never fail to be amazed by the enthusiasm to come with lectures for cyclists and pedestrians while letting motorists go scott free.

You on your own planet man defecting again, going way off point (as usual). I have no earthly idea of how you extrapolated that from a post to go on a rant about motorists?

All road users should behave responsibly those driving, cycling and those walking on to roads.
    Your cognitive dissonance is amazing. In your view motorists take sole responsibility, for people who walk across the road texting.
    Therefore those walking and texting while crossing roads should not take any responsibility at all.
    Your mind is really warped if that is your viewpoint, for whatever reason known only to yourself.
    I bet you won't answer the OP's question either, sure would only make you think.
    And might even stop you mid rant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, all the time. I've never bumped into anyone as just looking at your phone doesn't magically rob you of all situational awareness unless you're being wilfully ignorant/don't care. And I'd certainly never cross the road while using my phone.

Most people are the same. You'd swear thousands of phone-users were unwittingly wandering onto the motorway every day with the hyperbole from some people.

There's also no great mystery to what people are doing when using their phone when out and about. Anything and everything? Personally I'm usually either reading BBC news or something interesting on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

What about those people (not necessarily on their phones) who don't know how to walk and seemingly zig zag down the path. Like you are on the outside of the path they are on the inside, or vice versa, walking along, but then as you get closer they inexplicably veer onto your side for no reason! I've long since stopped moving for them, I'll maintain my line now until they move back or get boshed

You on your own planet man defecting again, going way off point (as usual). I have no earthly idea of how you extrapolated that from a post to go on a rant about motorists?

All road users should behave responsibly those driving, cycling and those walking on to roads.
    Your cognitive dissonance is amazing. In your view motorists take sole responsibility, for people who walk across the road texting.
    Therefore those walking and texting while crossing roads should not take any responsibility at all.
    Your mind is really warped if that is your viewpoint, for whatever reason known only to yourself.
    I bet you won't answer the OP's question either, sure would only make you think.
    And might even stop you mid rant :D

Because pointing the finger at pedestrians in any road safety issue is a deflection in itself. It's not pedestrians that kill people on the roads, week in week out here.

If you want to improve road safety and reduce road deaths, get drivers to slow down, put their phones down and put their pints down. Anything else is just a distraction.

• Advertisement

Because pointing the finger at pedestrians in any road safety issue is a deflection in itself. It's not pedestrians that kill people on the roads, week in week out here.

If you want to improve road safety and reduce road deaths, get drivers to slow down, put their phones down and put their pints down. Anything else is just a distraction.

Again you are deflecting away from the issue in the thread answer the OP's question. With your trademark generalisated rants, about the general state of road safety.
    For whatever reason, you seem to find it extremely difficult to accept that through some pedestrians lack of care, they are contributors towards their own accidents, even fatalities.
    The pedestrian can do no wrong as far as you are concerned, despite blatant evidence to the contrary.
    I have answered the OP's question and said I do not look at my phone while walking.
    And what is more I never have done.
    I view it as a foolish, inconsiderate, and dangerous practice.

Have you ever looked at your mobile phone while walking?

Again you are deflecting away from the issue in the thread answer the OP's question. With your trademark generalisated rants, about the general state of road safety.
    For whatever reason, you seem to find it extremely difficult to accept that through some pedestrians lack of care, they are contributors towards their own accidents, even fatalities.
    The pedestrian can do no wrong as far as you are concerned, despite blatant evidence to the contrary.
    I have answered the OP's question and said I do not look at my phone while walking.
    And what is more I never have done.
    I view it as a foolish, inconsiderate, and dangerous practice.

Have you ever looked at your mobile phone while walking?

The deflection here is the deflection in the pretence that pedestrians looking at their phones is a serious road safety issue. Serious road safety issues are the ones that result in 2 or 3 people being killed each week on our roads. If you want to start looking at serious phone-related safety issues, maybe you'd like the start with the growing number of drivers watching videos or video-chatting while driving.

Can you point to any case of a pedestrian killed in Ireland as a result of looking at their phone when walking? Or seriously injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I can't bring myself to do it. I don't feel safe. It would feel like driving with my eyes shut.

The deflection here is the deflection in the pretence that pedestrians looking at their phones is a serious road safety issue. Serious road safety issues are the ones that result in 2 or 3 people being killed each week on our roads. If you want to start looking at serious phone-related safety issues, maybe you'd like the start with the growing number of drivers watching videos or video-chatting while driving.

Can you point to any case of a pedestrian killed in Ireland as a result of looking at their phone when walking? Or seriously injured?

A friends neighbour had an incident actually, but it would be prejudicial to any legal proceedings to discuss it in detail.

I fail to see how people using phones while walking, are any different to those who are doing the same thing in other countries, by the way.

There has been detailed studies done on the effects of pedestrians using mobile phones while walking

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000145751300119X

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S235197891500565X

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084312

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0179802#pone.0179802.ref012

I will ask again do you look at your phone while walking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

no but then im not 15 or stupidly self absorbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

No, but then I'm not an idiot.

I also won't get out out their way if they're walking towards me, always funny to see the look of surprise when they bump into me.
    Then again, I also do that with people cycling on the footpath, or Spanish students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Yea cuz I don't give a **** what a poll/thread says

Yea cuz I don't give a **** what a poll/thread says

Jayus, it would be all fun and games until you walk into that devil's pitchfork....

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

What's your fúcking problem? Yes, I do look at my phone while walking....

A friends neighbour had an incident actually, but it would be prejudicial to any legal proceedings to discuss it in detail.

I fail to see how people using phones while walking, are any different to those who are doing the same thing in other countries, by the way.

There has been detailed studies done on the effects of pedestrians using mobile phones while walking

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S000145751300119X

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S235197891500565X

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084312

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0179802#pone.0179802.ref012

I will ask again do you look at your phone while walking?

So that's a No then - no case of a pedestrian causing death or serious injury through phone use. As for your friend's neighbour's granny's gardener - we know that there wasn't death involved, because that would have been all over the news. Are you saying that there was serious injury involved? If so, please give broad outline details, like county and month, so that we know it was' your' issue when it does come to Court.

And yes, of course I look at my phone when walking, whether to make a call or check an incoming message or to check directions - all done regularly without managing to cause any danger to myself or others. It is walking we're talking about here.

And yes, of course I look at my phone when walking, whether to make a call or check an incoming message or to check directions - all done regularly without managing to cause any danger to myself or others. It is walking we're talking about here.
    You can infer what you like, but as I said I cannot discuss the matter.
    As usual you make assumptions in the hope they fit your argument.

So now don't you feel you are participating in the OP's thread? By actually answering the OP's question.
    But I do not think you are really adding a 'social or fun' element to it as usual.

You merely use to it to rant about your personal agendas. While at the same time you are in complete denial that your actions place you as a pedestrian in danger (when walking across a road in particular), and place the onus completely on others for your personal safety.
    As I said all road users should have due care and attention.
    Drivers, pedestrians and cyclists included, that is just common sense,

Fair enough, if you wish to completely deny all factual evidence that using a mobile phone while walking - is careless behaviour that can lead to accidents. That is up to you.
    You do not seem to really want to engage in the OP's thread as intended, and as usual seek to hijack a thread with continued 'soap boxing' for your agendas that you clearly have (a quick search in boards would confirm this).

In view of your history of long winded rants on boards.ie - I really hope for your own sake you are not walking while you are typing them.
    For instant walking across a road etc
    Stay safe, be considerate to other road users, look after yourself.
    And have a nice day.

Also maybe you should look at this -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/girl-15-texting-when-killed-by-truck-inquest-hears-1.2728389?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fcourts%2Fcoroner-s-court%2Fgirl-15-texting-when-killed-by-truck-inquest-hears-1.2728389#

I suppose you will find something 'smart' to say about that as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It's the people that stare at the phone while walking, crossing roads etc. all without looking up.

Sometimes, I will bump in to one on purpose and tell them to watch where they are going.

Same with cyclists on footpaths, will do my utmost to make it as awkward as possible for them.

You can infer what you like, but as I said I cannot discuss the matter.
    As usual you make assumptions in the hope they fit your argument.

So now don't you feel you are participating in the OP's thread? By actually answering the OP's question.
    But I do not think you are really adding a 'social or fun' element to it as usual.

You merely use to it to rant about your personal agendas. While at the same time you are in complete denial that your actions place you as a pedestrian in danger (when walking across a road in particular), and place the onus completely on others for your personal safety.
    As I said all road users should have due care and attention.
    Drivers, pedestrians and cyclists included, that is just common sense,

Fair enough, if you wish to completely deny all factual evidence that using a mobile phone while walking - is careless behaviour that can lead to accidents. That is up to you.
    You do not seem to really want to engage in the OP's thread as intended, and as usual seek to hijack a thread with continued 'soap boxing' for your agendas that you clearly have (a quick search in boards would confirm this).

In view of your history of long winded rants on boards.ie - I really hope for your own sake you are not walking while you are typing them.
    For instant walking across a road etc
    Stay safe, be considerate to other road users, look after yourself.
    And have a nice day.

Also maybe you should look at this -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/coroner-s-court/girl-15-texting-when-killed-by-truck-inquest-hears-1.2728389?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fcrime-and-law%2Fcourts%2Fcoroner-s-court%2Fgirl-15-texting-when-killed-by-truck-inquest-hears-1.2728389#

I suppose you will find something 'smart' to say about that as well?

Oh brilliant, you found one case in the 10 years since smartphones arrived here. And you immediately of course dump all the blame immediately on the 15 year old girl doing what 15 year old girls do. There's no question in your mind of any blame on the truck driver who saw her on the path and yet drove over her? No question of any blame on the truck operator who put a piece of such dangerous equipment on a busy city road knowing this it has dreadful visibility and blind spots without providing whatever extra mirrors or extra cameras or extra crew on watch to mitigate that risk? No, I guess the need for the truck company to make a few quid outweighs the possibility of actually making sure that their equipment is fit for purpose.

And then let's look at the context - one death in ten years, compared to two or three deaths each week caused by motorists in other ways. More people are killed by wasps than by walking out in front of traffic with their phone.

On the broader issue, can you please point out specifically, with a direct quote, what particular "actions place you as a pedestrian in danger"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ghekko wrote: »
    No, too busy looking out for dogsh*t to avoid.

This. And junkies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

jim salter wrote: »
    What's your fúcking problem? Yes, I do look at my phone while walking....

And you look at others on the path?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No never.

I rarely take my phone out in public and especially not in waiting rooms (Doc/dentist, waiting on food order/take away etc) where every one sits with their face stuck in their phones. I prefer to read a magazine or watch the tv or just look around me/out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

With great trepidation...as I'm most likely to trip up or walk into a pole or something if I try and look at my phone whilst walking.

So, usually if I'm walking and I get message, I pull over, lol, find a safe spot to read my text and answer back!!!

You seem to revel in the commonly colloquially termed ‘moving the goalposts’ method of fallacious argument.

1) Person A requests person B to meet a certain goal evidential or otherwise

2) Person B fulfils the goal as stipulated above in step 1

3) Instead of admitting that person B has fulfilled the goals or has discharged the condition of the contract – person A stipulates even further goals.

Oh brilliant, you found one case in the 10 years since smartphones arrived here. And you immediately of course dump all the blame immediately on the 15 year old girl doing what 15 year old girls do. There's no question in your mind of any blame on the truck driver who saw her on the path and yet drove over her? No question of any blame on the truck operator who put a piece of such dangerous equipment on a busy city road knowing this it has dreadful visibility and blind spots without providing whatever extra mirrors or extra cameras or extra crew on watch to mitigate that risk? No, I guess the need for the truck company to make a few quid outweighs the possibility of actually making sure that their equipment is fit for purpose.

And then let's look at the context - one death in ten years, compared to two or three deaths each week caused by motorists in other ways. More people are killed by wasps than by walking out in front of traffic with their phone.

On the broader issue, can you please point out specifically, with a direct quote, what particular "actions place you as a pedestrian in danger"?

Then it continues ad nauseum as you (person A) continue to refuse to accept any evidence against your claim.
    Then you keep trying each time to make a claim that is harder to disprove than the last.
    You wish to revise each condition you make after more evidence disproves it.

As a result - rather than having a thread where a person is simply answering the OP’s question
    ‘Do you use a mobile phone while walking around town?

You wish to drag it out into something else completely, and goad users to comment.
    Most others answer the OP's question and are happy at that.
    But you simply wish to take it further and further off topic, down to whatever agenda it is you have.
    It is almost as if it is a small child asking ‘why’ repeatedly but has an ulterior motive.

I know from dealing with you before that it pointless to keep providing you with evidence on any topic.
    As you have admitted you do not read posts when it suits you in the past.

I could explain to you that many cases which involve the use of mobile phones by pedestrians resulting in accidents, do not mention mobile phone use, just that fact that the pedestrian was distracted and not taking due care and attention. But what would be the point?

You already claimed the onus is always on the driver yet ignore the need for good road sense from all who use the road – safe cross code etc., . All road users need to have due care and attention cyclists, motorists , and pedestrians.
    Most right thinking members of society would accept this.
    This is the second time I have stated that above.
    But you seem utterly determined to misquote me/infer that I place no blame on motorists!
    I could mention a few cases of family tragedies, but again what would the point of that be?

You seem to wish to want to turn the thread into something else.
    I have already listed numerous articles/studies, detailing what happens when pedestrians used mobile phones.
    It is in a previous post which you do not appear to have read.
    You seem to be more interested to continue with your ‘moving the goalposts’ methodology to start forming another attack.
    So, I will leave it there, I think.

PS I posted all the above while seated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No I’ve more respect for my own and others wellbeing to do that.

If I need to look at my phone I’ll move into the side of the path and stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I walk and read my phone. I've never walked into anyone or anything. I have pretty good peripheral vision. As a teen I could walk and read a book at the same time. I'm actually the person who's more likely to move out of the way of someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If you do find yourself walking out on the road whilst looking at your phone it is good to know that you can sue, (and we thought Irish Courts were stupid):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/cyclist-crashed-into-woman-mobile-phone-pay-compensation-london

Deise Vu wrote: »
    If you do find yourself walking out on the road whilst looking at your phone it is good to know that you can sue, (and we thought Irish Courts were stupid):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/21/cyclist-crashed-into-woman-mobile-phone-pay-compensation-london

Jayus. The cyclist, did not get anything because he did not counter claim, even though the judge said both were equally culpable.
    Because the cyclist did not like the 'claim culture' and now that philosophy could end up bankrupting him

The judge Ms Shanti-Mauger got another statement right when she said that a 8mm scar on the pedestrian's lip did not detract from her “very attractive” appearance! :D

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/costs/judge-sides-with-woman-hurt-after-crossing-the-road-without-looking/news-story/7f61f8266dcb1f601a2838f0e056a269

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Oh, 'walking'? Sometimes.

• Advertisement

You seem to revel in the commonly colloquially termed ‘moving the goalposts’ method of fallacious argument.

1) Person A requests person B to meet a certain goal evidential or otherwise

2) Person B fulfils the goal as stipulated above in step 1

3) Instead of admitting that person B has fulfilled the goals or has discharged the condition of the contract – person A stipulates even further goals.

Then it continues ad nauseum as you (person A) continue to refuse to accept any evidence against your claim.
    Then you keep trying each time to make a claim that is harder to disprove than the last.
    You wish to revise each condition you make after more evidence disproves it.

As a result - rather than having a thread where a person is simply answering the OP’s question
    ‘Do you use a mobile phone while walking around town?

You wish to drag it out into something else completely, and goad users to comment.
    Most others answer the OP's question and are happy at that.
    But you simply wish to take it further and further off topic, down to whatever agenda it is you have.
    It is almost as if it is a small child asking ‘why’ repeatedly but has an ulterior motive.

I know from dealing with you before that it pointless to keep providing you with evidence on any topic.
    As you have admitted you do not read posts when it suits you in the past.

I could explain to you that many cases which involve the use of mobile phones by pedestrians resulting in accidents, do not mention mobile phone use, just that fact that the pedestrian was distracted and not taking due care and attention. But what would be the point?

You already claimed the onus is always on the driver yet ignore the need for good road sense from all who use the road – safe cross code etc., . All road users need to have due care and attention cyclists, motorists , and pedestrians.
    Most right thinking members of society would accept this.
    This is the second time I have stated that above.
    But you seem utterly determined to misquote me/infer that I place no blame on motorists!
    I could mention a few cases of family tragedies, but again what would the point of that be?

You seem to wish to want to turn the thread into something else.
    I have already listed numerous articles/studies, detailing what happens when pedestrians used mobile phones.
    It is in a previous post which you do not appear to have read.
    You seem to be more interested to continue with your ‘moving the goalposts’ methodology to start forming another attack.
    So, I will leave it there, I think.

PS I posted all the above while seated.

You seem to be more interested in talking about HOW I answer rather than WHAT I'm actually saying. Are you trying to distract from the reality that it is motorists that kill and maim people each week on our roads, and that phone use by pedestrians is somewhere between tiny and infinitesimally small as a factor in road deaths?

Advertisement