Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Or Me?

Options
  • 10-10-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭

:confused: I'm trying to watch Netflix and am finding the film sort of strobing on me. Ye know that effect? When somebody will cross a room in like a stuttering movement. Like frames are sticking?

Might this be Netflix. Or, could it be something to do with my end?

Hope that's not too vague. Anyone wants to know anything, please do just tell me what ye need. Otherwise, I wouldn't know where to start.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Stigura

Hmmm. Just to add to this; YouTube works fine. People move naturally and lips / voices are synced.

Could it be a Netflix problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Stigura wrote: »
    Hmmm. Just to add to this; YouTube works fine. People move naturally and lips / voices are synced.

Could it be a Netflix problem?

What are you watching it on?

Weird little computer. Looks very much like this ~ though I can't guarantee it's the exact same model and specs:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-Black-VN281G-UA4252W-Mini-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Atom-D425-Processor-2GB-Memory-500GB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Professional/19514123

Never really had this problem before. I tried leaving the film to buffer. Doesn't work. But, now watching the end of a second, forty odd minute episode, it seems to be sorting itself out?

No fun though, watching an hour and a half of Charlie Chaplinesque film, before it warms itself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's not netflix

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's not netflix

Prove it...

Watched the Counselor today and it was absolutely terrible. Came in at 420p. I have a HD package with netflix and a 25mb connection. Amazon prime is perfect too.

Here's what the rep said to me:

I did check with our research team, the reason why it's only showing that kind of quality when you watch non-netflix originals, is that it's only licensed to stream in SD rather than HD with the computer that you are using, factors like the brand, video graphics, or CPU could be the issue for this one which is only licensed to be streamed in Standard quality, we suggest to use an alternate device for the meantime.

So it could be the CPU, Graphics or the license agreement they have for that film. Nothing has changed on my end whatsoever. The rep suggested using my phone. My fracking phone, like what kind of a gobshíte answer is that? The rep said that watching the same film on a smart TV would work in HD... same account, same connection, everything is the same apart from the device. I can't figure that one out. I couldn't quite figure out what they meant by this either;

You can still stream on the PC, again, it's not the PC or laptop, but one of the hardware like CPU, Video card or the brand itself is licensed to stream in SD only for non-netflix originals.

Intel or Nvidia have a contract with netflix to only stream in SD on computers? Why the hell would that be the case?

Anyway, he got me to check my speed while watching a film using this link: https://fast.com/

Then set my speed to Auto using this link: https://www.netflix.com/HdToggle

If that helps, i'll be surprised.

• Advertisement

Prove it...

Watched the Counselor today and it was absolutely terrible. Came in at 420p. I have a HD package with netflix and a 25mb connection. Amazon prime is perfect too.

Here's what the rep said to me:

I did check with our research team, the reason why it's only showing that kind of quality when you watch non-netflix originals, is that it's only licensed to stream in SD rather than HD with the computer that you are using, factors like the brand, video graphics, or CPU could be the issue for this one which is only licensed to be streamed in Standard quality, we suggest to use an alternate device for the meantime.

So it could be the CPU, Graphics or the license agreement they have for that film. Nothing has changed on my end whatsoever. The rep suggested using my phone. My fracking phone, like what kind of a gobshíte answer is that? The rep said that watching the same film on a smart TV would work in HD... same account, same connection, everything is the same apart from the device. I can't figure that one out. I couldn't quite figure out what they meant by this either;

You can still stream on the PC, again, it's not the PC or laptop, but one of the hardware like CPU, Video card or the brand itself is licensed to stream in SD only for non-netflix originals.

Intel or Nvidia have a contract with netflix to only stream in SD on computers? Why the hell would that be the case?

Anyway, he got me to check my speed while watching a film using this link: https://fast.com/

Then set my speed to Auto using this link: https://www.netflix.com/HdToggle

If that helps, i'll be surprised.

I'd be fairly confident the issue lies wholly with the client to be honest

Interesting. Those links tell me I'm pulling a MBS. And I'm on Auto. Always have been.

Also, having watched a couple of episodes, back to back (Bates Motel) Things caught up with themselves.

Stopped, to make my dinner ~ 20 mins max? Now, It's simply locking up, as the dialogue rambles on over a frozen screen. Till it jumps a mile to catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Are you using a Wifi connection or wired ?

Worth trying to use a wired network connection to rule out wifi issues.
    Eg. neighbours suddenly using the same wifi channel as you.

I suspect it's windows you are using.

Here are the browser lists.

As you will see the edge or internet explorer have the best resolution due to Netflix using Encrypted Media Extensions.

Try using Netflix using the Edge or IE in private mode.

Resolution
    Windows computers support streaming in the following browser resolutions:
    • Google Chrome up to 720p
    • Internet Explorer up to 1080p
    • Microsoft Edge up to 4K*
    • Mozilla Firefox up to 720p
    • Opera up to 720p
    • Windows 8 app up to 1080p
    • Windows 10 app up to 4K*
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encrypted_Media_Extensions

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Another possibility... windows is downloading a large Windows update in the background, impacting your network speed.

• Advertisement

Rgodard80a; I'm on 3. Don't know if that counts as WiFi? Either way, nearest people to me are probably about two hundred yards, straight line. No idea what they do up there.

Regarding a Windows Download? Surely, this would have to be the Mother Load; It's been days now.

Any way I can check any of this, please?

NoDrama; Yeppers. 7 with Firefox.

But, would this encryption thing cause the quality to vary so widely though, even in the course of a nights binging?

Thanks, guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If that's the exact PC you're using, that's horrible inadequate. It's an ancient single core that would've been considered slow almost a decade ago! No wonder you're getting drops and stutters. It would help to know the exact model because it sounds like it's definitely on your end.

Mobile broadband may or may not be sufficient to support HD downloads. Mobile broadband is not really going to be reliable for such a use case. Especially three's "all you can eat (when you can get it)" broadband

:( Oh lawd. It's not sounding very good then, is it?

Untitledtn.jpg

I'd be tempted to break out my 'new' machine. Mate recommended that one. Gave me this little Acer to sort of play with till the new one arrived. Then just said I could keep it.

But, if my connection's liable to have a hand in it too? Enough to make me wonder .....

I doubt that CPU can handle anything other than SD properly, 720P would likely be problematic and 1080p definitely out of the equation. As I said....that CPU would've been considered ultra low-end in 2010. Your average phone these days would be 5 times more powerful.

If you watch Netflix at 480P it should be fine, albiet poor image quality.

If you watch Netflix at 480P it should be fine, albiet poor image quality.

I'm liking the sound of that ~ believe it or not! :) No idea what poor image quality looks like. But, if it's not strobing .....

God knows; I grew up before we had even black and white TV. The moment they started talking about this " HD " stuff, I knew my eyes had lost the battle. I now sit here, peering closely at my 21" screen. HD's lost on me altogether.

Do ye think the Low setting will do it, please?

Untitledtn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

:( Oh lawd. It's not sounding very good then, is it?

Untitledtn.jpg

I'd be tempted to break out my 'new' machine. Mate recommended that one. Gave me this little Acer to sort of play with till the new one arrived. Then just said I could keep it.

But, if my connection's liable to have a hand in it too? Enough to make me wonder .....

That CPU is nowhere near strong enough to stream high definition content. Definitely not Netflix at fault there, I'm afraid!

Ok, guys. Thanks. I think I'm seeing a likely pattern here :(
    Last year, I bought and stashed away an HP dc7900, off Amazon:

Manufacturer referenceKP721AV
    Processor TypeCore 2 Duo Processor
    Speed3 GHz
    Processor Count2
    RAM Size2 GB
    Hard Drive Size160 GB
    Hard Disk Technology hdd
    Graphics Card Description Intel HD
    Operating System windows 7

I hope the above makes sense? It copied, from Amazon, as one long blurb.

Put my little Acer in a drawer, and wire / fire this one up? Or, has stuff already moved on so much that This too would be laughed at, by the demands of who ever runs our worlds today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Speed3 GHz
    Processor Count2
    RAM Size2 GB
    Hard Drive Size160 GB
    Hard Disk Technology hdd

Put my little Acer in a drawer, and wire / fire this one up? Or, has stuff already moved on so much that This too would be laughed at, by the demands of who ever runs our worlds today?

A Core 2 Duo CPU is no world beater by any means, but it should be capable of streaming in HD. Your RAM there isn't great though - 2GB in todays world is pretty low. If you're streaming Netflix on that machine, make sure to keep max one browser tab open, and it should manage it. If you're still seeing issues, its likely you need more RAM.

You bought that last year? Jeez man, stump up for a proper PC! (Core 2 is also ancient, a decade old at least depending on model....but still way faster than that other PC you were using).

You would get a 2nd hand i5 2nd or 3rd gen PC on Ebay with 4GB ram for little more than €100 that would have the CPU power to playback all forms of HD including 4K.

Or else get a modern 2018 model micro-PC that has a processor with built-in HD decoding (also around €150)

• Advertisement

Speed3 GHz
    Processor Count2
    RAM Size2 GB
    Hard Drive Size160 GB
    Hard Disk Technology hdd

I hope that was no more than €50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Why don't you just get a Chromecast or something similar?

lawred2 wrote: »
    I hope that was no more than €50

Agreed, but at least with that you could probably install a GT1030 for €70 so all the decoding would be taken off the CPU onto card.

Assuming that's an E8400 or E7500, should do HD fine still, old as they are, though it would probably tax the CPU as bit.

ArthurG wrote: »
    Why don't you just get a Chromecast or something similar?

Leitrim :p

Advertisement