Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour pushing ivy off wall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Zenify wrote: »
    So my neighbour at the back of my house is always complaining about the tress at the back of our house. They are high and we are south of her garden so it blocks the light at the top end of her garden. She has always asked us to cut them down but we like the privacy they give our garden. I told her she can cut anything over her garden and she did that during the summer. I also told her she can put the pieces and over into our garden. she also complains about the ivy growing over the wall which we usually cut at the top of the wall for her (i can't understand how bare concrete can look better than ivy). However recently she has cut the ivy back from our side and pushed it back to remove it's grip from the wall so it is even hanging over our side now. It has destroyed a lot of it from our side and it took years to grow. What should I Do?

Burn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ivy is a terible weed . i wouldnt cut any ivy coming into my property , i would kill it.
    obviously not sticktly legal but who would ever know. say nothing and who would know

• Registered Users Posts: 17,506 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

ivy is a terible weed . i wouldnt cut any ivy coming into my property , i would kill it.
    obviously not sticktly legal but who would ever know. say nothing and who would know

Not easy unless you have access to the roots

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not easy unless you have access to the roots

very easy. waste pipe over the wall and pour down it. or hole through the wall and pour it in.

a little here adn there will slowly solve the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

What height are your trees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

The trees are a little higher than the upstairs window.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

You should maintain your ivy etc in such a way that it doesnt interfere with your neighbour.
    Yes you like ivy. No you dont like bare walls.

But being a decent neighbour means cobsideration for others around you.

If your natural light was being blocked by a neighbours trees and taking away the enjoyment of your garden how would you feel?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

You can buy fake Ivy, that you can stick on the wall. Doesn't have to be trimmed.

I'd cut the tree's. If there was an attempted break in at your house, through the back door. Would same neighbour be able to see this, or would the tree's be in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

beertons wrote: »
    You can buy fake Ivy, that you can stick on the wall. Doesn't have to be trimmed.
    You know this is the Gardening forum, right? :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Lumen wrote: »
    You know this is the Gardening forum, right? :D

Person looking for a solution to neighbour cutting their Ivy. They have no need to cut the fake stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I can't believe my eyes here. Someone has grown trees and native wall covering, supporting native wildlife, our environment, ecodiversity, natural screening and sound barriers, and the responses vary between encouraging the illegal to replacing the growing plants with plastic. I've read:
    - poison it
    - cut it down
    - burn it
    - concrete is better
    - plastic is better

OP, you are perfectly within your rights to grow some trees and ivy. What you have advised your neighbour is also correct, she can cut away anything overhanging her property, and dispose of the clippings on your land.

The rest of you, especially whoever advised running pipes of poison onto someone else's land, should be ashamed of yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

pwurple wrote: »
    I can't believe my eyes here. Someone has grown trees and native wall covering, supporting native wildlife, our environment, ecodiversity, natural screening and sound barriers, and the responses vary between encouraging the illegal to replacing the growing plants with plastic. I've read:
    - poison it
    - cut it down
    - burn it
    - concrete is better
    - plastic is better

OP, you are perfectly within your rights to grow some trees and ivy. What you have advised your neighbour is also correct, she can cut away anything overhanging her property, and dispose of the clippings on your land.

The rest of you, especially whoever advised running pipes of poison onto someone else's land, should be ashamed of yourselves.

Eh wrong the neighour needs permission off tree /ivy owner to dispose of trimmings etc on neighbours land.

Obviously they can come to an agreement on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

The trees are a little higher than the upstairs window.

Neighbour behind me had the same height trees so we got no sunlight into the back garden.

Ended up killing our entire lawn

Eh wrong the neighour needs permission off tree /ivy owner to dispose of trimmings etc on neighbours land.

Obviously they can come to an agreement on it.

"Eh wrong" how, sorry? The OP is perfectly in the right to give permission there, as I said, and as you've also said in the following sentence. So, it's more like "Eh exactly correct".
    Neighbour behind me had the same height trees so we got no sunlight into the back garden.

Ended up killing our entire lawn

Lawn. Ah yes, the unimaginative irish and their obsession with a square resembling astroturd. We live in such a lush environment, even without blazing sunlight, we can usually grow what is suitable for our conditions. There are a million plants beyond grass, many of which thrive in cool shade. How about a woodland carpet of crocuses, anenomes and cyclamen? Or a japanese -style moss garden. Stepping stones, lush bouncy moss.
    Not a blade of grass in these images below, both growing in shade.

kyoto-garden-moss-garden-design_10379.jpg

Moss-Stone-Gardens-Soil-prep-2.jpg

00127137.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

^^^What's the green stuff covering the ground in the first and second picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭denismc

I wasn't planning on taking legal action or complaining to authorities. Just wanted to see what people's opinions were.

She didn't come into my garden but she did cut a lot on our side. The cuts are clearly on our side, I assume she put the trimmer over the wall. Do most people think I should cut the tops of the trees? I just love them so much and I'll be looking at her house rather than trees if I cut them.

If you trim back the trees by about 20% you will have nice fresh growth next year and your neighbour will have a bit more light. Everyone wins.
    This is a good time of the year to cut back trees, you may want to get a professional to do this.

- poison it
    - cut it down
    - burn it
    - concrete is better
    - plastic is better

#

how do you deal with weeds in your garden. you dig them up or kill them. why is this diferent.

i was only using the pipe as an example of how somone could get to the roots from their side .

i know its not strictly legal but neither is leting weeds grow into your neighbours property.

i know a field is diferent but i regularly go into the fields areound my house with a strimmers and cut all the weeds that are growing . sometimes up to 40 feet from the boundry.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    ^^^What's the green stuff covering the ground in the first and second picture?

Moss.

#

how do you deal with weeds in your garden. you dig them up or kill them. why is this diferent.

i was only using the pipe as an example of how somone could get to the roots from their side .

i know its not strictly legal but neither is leting weeds grow into your neighbours property.

i know a field is diferent but i regularly go into the fields areound my house with a strimmers and cut all the weeds that are growing . sometimes up to 40 feet from the boundry.

What's you're definition of a weed, may I ask?

And I'll just leave this here:
    Radiohead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Grow some weed outside instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

What should I Do?

A crime so heinous it calls for a swift and formidable response.

Kill the neighbour.

Keyzer wrote: »
    A crime so heinous it calls for a swift and formidable response.

Kill the neighbour.
    But if you do that his wife and/or child(ren) could continue the mission.
    You have to burn the house down.

What's you're definition of a weed, may I ask?

And I'll just leave this here:
    Radiohead

Lots of ways to define a weed.
    Something that takes over the whole place
    Something that causes damage
    Sometforty-three makes the place dirty looking
    Or just in the wrong place.

Ivy a weed by those 4 anyway.
    Obviously iys all about perspective. The op loves it but the neighbors hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

People shouldn't be allowed to grow large trees in their garden in a suburban setting.

There's a lot of selfish gits that think their need for 'privacy' outweighs anyone else's considerations.

I'd hate to end up living near to one of them.

People shouldn't be allowed to grow large trees in their garden in a suburban setting.

There's a lot of selfish gits that think their need for 'privacy' outweighs anyone else's considerations.

It's fine, you won't even notice they are there, the large trees will block them from your vision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have a birch tree about 40 foot tall in my back garden.
    i'd say it's the seeds the neighbours object to.

My neighbours, in an urban environment have two stunning mature trees overhanging my garden, a beech and a horse chestnut. I count myself extremely lucky to be close to trees which took decades to grow to that size. I get the benefit of privacy, beauty in all seasons, birdlife, reduction of pollution, both sound and air etc. Trees improve our quality of life, both physically and mentally.

I don't understand people wanting to live in lifeless plastic boxes at all. Globally, the push in urban environments is to increase the number of trees and plant life that surrounds us.

Patrick-Bingham-Hall-980x923.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,302 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I don't understand people wanting to live in lifeless plastic boxes at all.

Well, because that's the only alternative to having a large tree blocking all the light from your garden obviously :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Lots of ways to define a weed.

Actually no that is incorrect, there is only one way to describe a weed and that definition is, "a weed is an unwanted plant in an undesired location", so by definition all plants can be a weed and no plant is a weed, it's subjective.

In this scenario, the ivy is not a weed in the OP's opinion and it is a weed in the neighbours opinion, and both parties are equally valid and correct.
    The onus is on the OP to ensure his plants don't encroached on the neighbours property, and while the action of the neighbour may have been extreme, they are somewhat understandable.

Advertisement