Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour pushing ivy off wall

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Thanks for all the responses. It's really great to see all the different views. Most people here do seem to be on the side of cutting the trees and not letting any plants overhang or grow into other side of boundaries.

Let me clarify a few points. I don't actually own this property, I rent it from a family member. I'm not here forever as they are going to move back in the future. I cannot actually cut the trees because the owner likes them.

I mentioned all this to the property owner today and their solution is to build a high fence on top of the wall so the ivy can grow up that. Neighbour will definitely not be happy about that as it will block even more light but I suppose they are entitled to build a fence right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well no, there are limits to how high a barrier you can put in a back garden. If he does do that though it could easily solve all the problems as the wind resistance of a fence and a load of ivy will probably bring the wall down in a gale (been there, done that).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lumen wrote: »
    The French have very reasonable rules about trees near boundaries. Ireland could benefit from similar.

https://www.french-property.com/guides/france/property-rights/trees/

While better than anything we have, I dont think 2m is going to do much for you when your neighbour has 50foot trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Zenify wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses. It's really great to see all the different views. Most people here do seem to be on the side of cutting the trees and not letting any plants overhang or grow into other side of boundaries.

Let me clarify a few points. I don't actually own this property, I rent it from a family member. I'm not here forever as they are going to move back in the future. I cannot actually cut the trees because the owner likes them.

I mentioned all this to the property owner today and their solution is to build a high fence on top of the wall so the ivy can grow up that. Neighbour will definitely not be happy about that as it will block even more light but I suppose they are entitled to build a fence right?

How on earth will adding a fence to the top of the wall help things in anyway? Ivy climbs and it will eventually reach the top of the fence and then what do you or your landlord propose to do? At a very minimum your discussions should have covered maintenance of the property including the garden and boundaries? Just cut the stupid thing well back!
    This fence approach is as good as giving this neighbour the two fingers..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

GreeBo wrote: »
    While better than anything we have, I dont think 2m is going to do much for you when your neighbour has 50foot trees.

Depends on the tree. I have a beech which is about 12m tall and maybe 3m from my boundary, and it causes the neighbours no issues.

Whereas the 6m Lleylandii which were on the boundary caused complaints (which I dealt with shortly after buying the house).

So my experience is that although species is important, a couple of metres can make a big difference. Also, 15m trees in small gardens are really quite unusual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Depends on the tree.

which is why this was my initial point.

Trees need to be suitable for their location, others on here just promote "if its green then it belongs" which I totally disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Call me Al wrote: »
    This fence approach is as good as giving this neighbour the two fingers..

Exactly. Its like he wants to antagonise the neighbour.

I'm sorry you found my tone sarcastic. Cheer up! :pac:

Apologies, probably my own fault :) Sorry.

Advertisement