Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ram conundrum

• 10-10-2018 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have two rams as part of my small flock. These run together unti mating season at when they are divided as they go in seperate ends of the farm with their respective ewes.
    However this year's all the ewes are in a field away from the home farm. I am thinking of bringing the rams up to them next week and letting both in with the full flock of ewes. Rams are both 3 years old.
    What are people's thoughts on that idea?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have two rams as part of my small flock. These run together unti mating season at when they are divided as they go in seperate ends of the farm with their respective ewes.
    However this year's all the ewes are in a field away from the home farm. I am thinking of bringing the rams up to them next week and letting both in with the full flock of ewes. Rams are both 3 years old.

why not, no reason for it not to work unless some of the ewes are related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

wrangler wrote: »
    Hi all,

why not, no reason for it not to work unless some of the ewes are related
    No ewes related. I'm just time poor right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

No ewes related. I'm just time poor right now.

We used to put 5 rams with 200 ewes, worked alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭DJ98

Unless you want to be guaranteed a fair share of lambs from each ram, that's the only reason we separate here. White ewes go to the black ram and black ewes to a texel ram

Advertisement