Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corner roof slate loose, nail visible - how to fix

Options
  • 11-10-2018 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

Hi,

After the last storm, one of the corner slates, at the line where two sides of the roof meet, came loose.

The top part of it slots under the slate above it, and the bottom part of it has a nail in it that is now standing on another slate, so the slate is now sticking up at an angle.

It looks like the nail held the bottom of the tile into the wooden beam below the tiles.

How to fix this? I reckon some kind of mastic into where the nail needs to go would make it right.

What mastic to use or is there another way to fix this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any pictures?
    IMO, the nail is from the slate below as nails are never exposed, always covered by the slate above.

Consider, assuming safe access, using a galvanised screw instead of the loose nail

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The normal nail for slates are a wee copper button with a spike in the middle.you slide it up the line of the slate under it and let the spike through the hole in the broke one push slate down and bend down the spike.
    All hardware shops have them and if you want a few they usually give you a few out of big box.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Great stuff, thanks for the replies.

This nail is a good 4 inches, with a rubber collar where it meets the slate.

I'll take off the collar and screw it in.

Much appreciated, I want to get this sorted before the storm tonight.

All the best!

Advertisement