Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apologies, I know it's October but .....

• 11-10-2018 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭

..... for the first time, i seem to have been landed with cooking Christmas dinner this year. I managed to get away with it for a long time, but it appears the day has come :eek:

So, help is needed as regards what to get and where to get it. Not 100% sure yet how many people, but minimum three and absolute maximum six. Not too bothered about starters or desserts, will sort those out easily enough, but crown/ 5 bird roast/ham etc, and may be some pre prepped veg? Where's the best place to go for mains that more or less just need to be put in the oven and cooked.

Not bothered whether it's butchers/aldi/tesco etc. Happy with anywhere.

Have absolutely no notion of stuffing turkeys and removing giblets though! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not directly in answer to your question but may be of interest to people who are in the same boat, I noticed the LCFE are doing a Christmas cooking course next month:

http://www.lcfe.ie/part_time_courses/christmas-festive-cooking-hl008-4-weeks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Iceland maybe for "prepped" mains, and Richardsons or Limerick Fruit and Veg for prepped veg ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Musgraves do a lot of this type of food especially for Christmas. Some catering companies buy directly from here. They do turkey/ham/stuffing portions on a foil tray which only need to go in the oven.
    A few years ago we we're going to get a chef from a well known local restaurant to cater our Christmas dinner and when i found out that he was buying the pre prepared meat & veg from Musgraves i went and done it myself.
    At the time you could purchase 8 portions of turkey/ham/stuffing per tray and to be totally honest with you it was really nice.
    You could always check it out a few weeks in advance, try it for yourself and then decide if it is worth going that route.
    It saves a lot of hassle on the day and you might even be able to pass it off as your own :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

Try Papaz on Denmark St, they do boned, rolled and stuffed turkeys every year as well as ham etc.

Advertisement