Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alt-J... Olympia 2018

Options
  • 11-10-2018 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

No thread for this!

looking forward to it, am i the only one going!?

wasnt mad on the last album but the set will be a nice mixed bag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

I'm going :D looking forward to it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

what night you going?
    Im there on wednesday

Going tonight :D

nice one,

report back!
    (unless its crap, in that case, spare me!)

cheers, enjoy

nice one,

report back!
    (unless its crap, in that case, spare me!)

cheers, enjoy

Will do :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 newb990

Going tomorrow. I'm a bit worried they'll only do songs from Reduxer, have to say not into this new album. Hope someone posts the setlist.

Looking forward to it though. I saw them last year and they were really awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Great gig. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the Reduxer album but it features quite sparingly, I counted about 3 times in the whole set. In fairness to them, it actually works quite well. Ye will all have a blast on Tuesday and Wednesday!

Yep I agree. They mixed in parts of the new album at the end of a few songs and it actually worked really well. They were super, great show. We were surrounded by people who seemed to just talk the whole way through which I just can't understand but even with that I really enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 43,908 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Great gig. I wouldn't be a huge fan of the Reduxer album but it features quite sparingly, I counted about 3 times in the whole set. In fairness to them, it actually works quite well. Ye will all have a blast on Tuesday and Wednesday!
    Saw them in a tiny forest venue (probably <500 people) in Amsterdam back in August, and they were excellent, and they played the 4 better tracks from Relaxer (3WW, Deadcrush, In Cold Blood, Pleader) at it.

They're definitely improving as a live band.. saw them at Glastonbury after Lionel Ritchie on the Pyramid Stage a few years back and they were very poor. So much so that when they headlined the Other Stage last year, I avoided them.

But they were incredible at that gig in Amsterdam.. shame Joe Newman often just seems to be a bag of nerves.

Hi

When you guys say Reduxer, do You mean Relaxer?
    (Reduxer is a remix album, they dont do those versions surely)

Was the support worth a look?

thanks

• Advertisement

newb990 wrote: »
    Going tomorrow. I'm a bit worried they'll only do songs from Reduxer, have to say not into this new album. Hope someone posts the setlist.

SPOILER ALERT:

heres the setlist from last night if you want it, cheers

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/alt-j/2018/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-33969899.html

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Jazzzman

Hi

thanks
    well, considering this is the REDUXER tour... ;)

dmm82 wrote: »
    Yep I agree. They mixed in parts of the new album at the end of a few songs and it actually worked really well. They were super, great show. We were surrounded by people who seemed to just talk the whole way through which I just can't understand but even with that I really enjoyed it

Great news!

What time did they come on stage at?

newb990 wrote: »
    Great news!

What time did they come on stage at?

They came on at 21.05 lastnight, finished around 22.35

Jazzzman wrote: »
    well, considering this is the REDUXER tour... ;)

Figured they would just do the relaxer versions
    considering none of the collaborators are on tour with them,
    pity, i could live without reduxer, id have loved to have got
    those three songs in Relaxer versions,

Figured they would just do the relaxer versions
    considering none of the collaborators are on tour with them,
    pity, i could live without reduxer, id have loved to have got
    those three songs in Relaxer versions,

They do play the relaxer versions, they just add in a bit of the reduxer version at the ends. It actually works well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Hi

thanks

I believe this tour is in support of the Reduxer album so I was expecting a tonne of remixes but there was only a handful, and they were integrated into the set quite well. It's basically going to be 95% of the kind of gig you'd be expecting if you've seen them before.

Edit: just seeing this has been answered already!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

Am travelling up on the bus from Galway tomorrow with a couple of teenagers. Really looking forward to it. They got me into the band - makes me feel I've done something good (pun unintended) as a parent. Thanks for post on finishing time on Monday. Would appreciate if someone who's there this evening could also post finishing time. Hoping to book 22:45 bus back from Aston Quay but don't want to miss anything. If they're done by 10:30 or so, should be grand. Thanks!

enjoyed last night,
    was up front in the pit and camped out in front of thom,
    in fairness he's the most interesting one to watch, great drummer
    the other two (especially gus) are like watching paint dry.

great set, good aul sing-along was had!
    I found the light strips separating the band very odd
    and made the whole thing feel disconnected,
    thom hardly looked up for the whole gig and seemed uninterested,
    maybe just tired after three gigs in a row.
    fabulous band with amazing songs but arent going to win any
    awards for their stage presence!

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭nmacu

Totally agree with your assessment. Stage setup was a bit weird alright ... I guess that it's not surprising that with Alt-J it was a bit nerdy.

I was further back and there was a lot of talking both during and between songs. It seems to be getting to be quite a common phenomenon or maybe it's just me turning into a grumpy old man. I heard one person have a bit of a moan ... "When are they going to play Breezeblocks?". Why do people like that go to gigs at all?

I was there for the support act and didn't enjoy them at all.

Still and all, as you said, the strength of their songs forgives a lot, and it was a very enjoyable night overall. My kids loved it which it the main thing for me.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed the gig and like those here said I would, I really liked the Reduxer versions at the end of some of the songs. The only thing is that I didn't recognize the versions and when I listened again to Reduxer today I couldn't figure out which parts they played at the gig?? Maybe its just that the live version was better. I don't know.

I am now regretting that I didn't get a ticket for all three nights!

they werent really Reduxer versions at all (which suited me)
    they just threw in a verse of the raps off the reduxer versions
    apart from that they were the normal versions
    i thought it worked but it was a bit pointless as well really
    I suppose they had to do something seeing as
    its called the Reduxer tour

great set though, all my faves in there
    although if i never heard Pleader again for the rest of my life
    id be happy, what an awful song amongst all the jewels!

Advertisement