Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Callum Chat/Non Technical Discussion (Including Travel)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

They should have called this one Storm Calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

jackrussel wrote: »
    Non event because you were asleep & missed it all. If it happened 12 hours earlier/later, you certainly wouldn’t be calling a non event.

I wouldn't even bother responding at this stage. No matter how severe the weather is you always get a few people coming on here with the "event? what event?" chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Non event everywhere, Harry.
    Met Eireann knew 24 hrs out that Callum was going to miss us by a good margin, but having issued their Orange warnings they couldn't withdraw them without seeming to be scaremongers.
    It was gas listening to the news reports on radio this morning where they trying, unsuccessfully, to pretend that there was a big storm overnight.

Yes it's all one big conspiracy. Your 'Non event everywhere' resulted in 30,000 homes without power, flights cancelled and rail disrupted. Maybe the people affected by that don't feel the same as you.

Thankfully not as bad as it could have been but better people (particularly in West and South) were prepared than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

jackrussel wrote: »
    Non event because you were asleep & missed it all. If it happened 12 hours earlier/later, you certainly wouldn’t be calling a non event.

No, I was not asleep. My work requires me to be on duty during the night. I'm slap bang in the middle of the Orange zone, (east coast, north of Dublin). I can absolutely confirm that it was a moderately breezy night with occasional light rain and very mild. I kept tabs on the ME hourly 'latest weather' reports. It seems that most of the country had similar weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Idioteque wrote: »
    Thankfully not as bad as it could have been but better people (particularly in West and South) were prepared than not.
    I really don't get the logic of nothing happened so the warnings were OTT brigade. Do they not consider that the impact isn't as bad because people took precautions based upon the warnings?

Plenty of trees and branches down, and spot flooding, on my route in from North Wicklow to Dublin 4 this morning anyway. Dart closed between Greystones and Bray. The impact on road commuting was somewhat minimised by it being a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Idioteque wrote: »
    Yes it's all one big conspiracy. Your 'Non event everywhere' resulted in 30,000 homes without power, flights cancelled and rail disrupted. Maybe the people affected by that don't feel the same as you.

Certain locations always get it in the neck - people on the west and north west coastal zones put up with this sort of thing several times every winter and they already know what to do and that the power will quite probably go down.

Flights meh? fog can be as disruptive in January, it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Roger_007 wrote: »
    No, I was not asleep. My work requires me to be on duty during the night. I'm slap bang in the middle of the Orange zone, (east coast, north of Dublin). I can absolutely confirm that it was a moderately breezy night with occasional light rain and very mild. I kept tabs on the ME hourly 'latest weather' reports. It seems that most of the country had similar weather.

Just cos it was alright where you were doesn't mean it wasn't bad anywhere else. The forecast wasn't given for your little section, it was given for the whole country

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I really don't get this whole thing of people getting it in the neck for saying it was a non event in their area. Their observation that it was a non event for them is just as valid as the person whose car was found upside down a mile down the road and their house was blown inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I really don't get this whole thing of people getting it in the neck for saying it was a non event in their area. Their observation that it was a non event for them is just as valid as the person whose car was found upside down a mile down the road and their house was blown inside out.

It's the omission of 'in their area' that winds people up the wrong way. If you look back over this thread it's loads of posts of people saying non event in relation to the country, not just their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Some of Europe bound transatlantic flights touching 1100km/h

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The fuel savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Some of Europe bound transatlantic flights touching 1100km/h

seen that...

BA242 is now 1129.72 km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's the omission of 'in their area' that winds people up the wrong way. If you look back over this thread it's loads of posts of people saying non event in relation to the country, not just their area.
    And also people saying it was a "non event" when they weren't in the higher/ Orange warning areas anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Tazio wrote: »
    seen that...

BA242 is now 1129.72 km/h

Throw her into neutral and let her coast home.full tank of petrol left for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fair enough, but there's also a good number clearly talking about their area and they're being taken to task for it.

Anyway, didn't hear a peep myself last night, slept through it all, but that's not an indication of anything! Looking at the news glad I'm not in other areas of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Macy0161 wrote: »
    And also people saying it was a "non event" when they weren't in the higher/ Orange warning areas anyway!

Yes what IS that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The fuel savings!

Idle the fans and turn the APU on to keep the coffee hot!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

It got to full blast at about 12 last night, but not as bad as others in the past couple yrs, I slept through, but I think Galway was going to get the brunt anyway, am delighted this morning, no damage to person, animal or property, delighted to have sailed through, maybe because I live in a very well insulated home could be the reason for a good nights sleep,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,837 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Fair enough, but there's also a good number clearly talking about their area and they're being taken to task for it.

Anyway, didn't hear a peep myself last night, slept through it all, but that's not an indication of anything! Looking at the news glad I'm not in other areas of the country.

Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but at 5am this morning the wind nearly tore one of the windows off my apartment.

Anyone who said it was a 'non event' would want to have seen the head on me as I ran down the stairs with my toolbox :D

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Roger_007 wrote:
    Non event everywhere, Harry. Met Eireann knew 24 hrs out that Callum was going to miss us by a good margin, but having issued their Orange warnings they couldn't withdraw them without seeming to be scaremongers. It was gas listening to the news reports on radio this morning where they trying, unsuccessfully, to pretend that there was a big storm overnight.

Wow you're so far off the facts is laughable. The strongest winds are on the north-eastern quadrant of a storm. Take a look at the wind speeds recorded in the NW....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

You can smell the stupid can't you?

Roger_007 wrote:

Did you not see that the highest winds wouldn't all take place at the exact same time all over the country, or the severity of them. Winds coming in off the Irish sea would be causing the damage in Dublin , if any

EmptyTree wrote:

Exactly, could you imagine we were in a tornado Ally of sorts, with that carry on

The key word is WARNINGS.
    Nobody can predict exactly how mother nature is going to act.
    There was an orange warning in several parts to be prepared. Fair enough if it turns out to be not too bad. At least you were warned and had a chance to prepare.

Cyclists are warned to wear helmets. If you don't and you fall off the bike and get brain damage, well thats your issue.
    If you ignore a weather warning and it turns out to be bad, thats your issue also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

The “non event” posts are annoying enough, but I’m more annoyed by all the posts on Facebook this morning about not chancing bringing the kids to school. Our area was yellow and it was down to just a breezy morning by 7am. (Definitely warranted yellow over night) The kids will miss school for most of the winter if it wasn’t safe this morning! The cynic in me thinks certain mammys wanted a lie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Whiplashy wrote: »
    The “non event” posts are annoying enough, but I’m more annoyed by all the posts on Facebook this morning about not chancing bringing the kids to school. Our area was yellow and it was down to just a breezy morning by 7am. (Definitely warranted yellow over night) The kids will miss school for most of the winter if it wasn’t safe this morning! The cynic in me thinks certain mammys wanted a lie in.

I'm in a yellow zone and got a text at 7:30 saying the playschool is closed. Rural school, no power, roads in the area damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

Whispered wrote: »
    I'm in a yellow zone and got a text at 7:30 saying the playschool is closed. Rural school, no power, roads in the area damaged.

Ah that’s different. Obviously there are some schools that had to stay closed. I’m talking about parents in an urban area where the schools were open and perfectly safe to get too. I’m pretty sure a lot of those parents had decided before the storm even hit that it was going to be a day off today.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Whiplashy wrote: »

The cynic in you would want a word with himself. What an awful thing to say jeez. I went to work but kept my daughter home from school. We haven’t been hit yet but apparently it’s still on it’s way here. I erred on the side of caution. Every other week as he’s on shifts, my husband gets her up ready and takes her to school. Generalising much???

A relatives roof in Achill has been damaged.
    They can't get out to fix or assess the damage yet.

It is in an exposed spot facing the sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

The problem is not so much people saying it was a non-event in their area so much as the people for whom nothing outside their immediate line of sight actually exists saying that because it was a non-event for them, it was a non-event everywhere. Those people are annoying and apparently lack object permanence.

Edit; mind you, I'd certainly be more interested in the post regarding a house being blown inside out than I would be by a breathless post saying nothing's happened!

Advertisement