Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House robbery in Malahide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

neris wrote:
    Just saw this on twitter, house robbery yesterday in Malahide. Video in it aswell

Unreal. Mrs Rushfan has a colleague who lives in Clonsilla, had plant pots taken from outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

rushfan wrote: »
    Unreal. Mrs Rushfan has a colleague who lives in Clonsilla, had plant pots taken from outside the house.

Same polish reg berlingo van?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Ill keep an eye out for that berlingo on my travels. It would be unusual I would say to see a polish reg berlingo around Dublin. Scumbags :mad:

I have extensive CCTV around our house and presumed it would be a good deterrent but it would appear some people just don't care, unless they didn't see the camera which I doubt. They went to the bother of covering their hands when ringing the bell!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They both had a serious case of sniffles.... Touching and try as they may covering their nose...

Cops should be able to catch them easy.

Anpr would pick that van up.

Worth a check with neighbourhood watch as they may well have been doing work in the area or even leaflet drops as a lot of them do.

Great way to case out houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

vicwatson wrote:
    Same polish reg berlingo van?

Not sure, happened during the day. She was in work at the time. Can't be many Polish regd Berlingos around either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

This happened over a week ago, the date on the tweet is Oct 3rd, this video has been doing the rounds since.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Is that not an Irsh reg van - right hand drive?????

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Definitely not polish reg in this video, maybe they changed later? Your man's face doesn't look Easter European either

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I've looked at it on multiple monitors and I can't make out the reg. How can anyone say what country was on the plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

I thought whole point of Nest was that you get an alert when someone rings your doorbell, and you can see the live video on your phone. Did you not get an alert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    I thought whole point of Nest was that you get an alert when someone rings your doorbell, and you can see the live video on your phone. Did you not get an alert?

They could well have been out of the house, in a meeting, in a signal black spot, on a plane etc. It's just bad luck. All that said though, were that my home I'd have an electric gate installed... which may have prevented this from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

I've looked at it on multiple monitors and I can't make out the reg. How can anyone say what country was on the plate.

Polish reg has a distinct space between area code and the number. This one is pretty packed and looks Irish to me. You can see two numbers first then two letters and then number again. I'm guessing the county is wexford on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Do they have access to non potato quality off the device or is this it? Most of the decent ring doorbells etc. do at least 720p which might make catching these tossers easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Sorry to hijack this thread a little but I wanted an IP camera that I put on my windowsill of the upstairs bedroom (on the inside of the house) specifically to look down onto my drive and the little turning point of the road just beyond my drive. After trying out a few different ones the only one with enough resolution to make out car reg numbers was the Reolink C1 Pro. Thought I'd share that incase anyone is thinking of getting a camera for that purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

The biggest mistake they made here was leaving their driveway gates open when they weren't home...easy for the van to drive in and park off a busy road out of view.If gates had been closed, I bet house would never have been robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

were that my home I'd have an electric gate installed... which may have prevented this from happening.

Previous neighbor had her electric gates destroyed to get at a bit of oil.

You'd most likely been robbed and had to repair your gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hopefully they will come across the wrong house to rob.....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

bb12 wrote: »
    The biggest mistake they made here was leaving their driveway gates open when they weren't home...easy for the van to drive in and park off a busy road out of view.If gates had been closed, I bet house would never have been robbed.

You shouldn't have to close your front gates every time you want to come and go from your house.

limnam wrote: »
    Previous neighbor had her electric gates destroyed to get at a bit of oil.

You'd most likely been robbed and had to repair your gates.

Electric gates aren't actually that secure. They can be pushed open with enough force. The good old fashioned lock and bolt are actually harder to break into.

neris wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to close your front gates every time you want to come and go from your house.

In this day and age, you kinda do if you don't want unwelcome visitors on your property. I would never even leave my gates open when I was at home!

I couldn't even imagine driving away from my property with them left open! Might as well leave a key in the front door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

bb12 wrote: »
    Electric gates aren't actually that secure. They can be pushed open with enough force. The good old fashioned lock and bolt are actually harder to break into.

Good point.

Electric gates can be opened but you can install an electric deadlock as well to make them more secure.

Having said that even without the deadlock the normal electric gates do restrict access. Thieves are more likely to move on to an easier target

In general thieves tend to be wary of electric gates even if they are open as they are afraid that they will close and leave them locked in.

Also that van is not a Berlingo it is a Citroen Dispatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Is there really that much of a market for plant pots?

Where we live (not far from where that house is) there were a spate of pots lifted one afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,924 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

neris wrote: »

You also shouldn't have to lock your front door, your car or have long complex passwords for your email account.

Unfortunately that's just the world we live in. You need to do what you can to protect your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

o1s1n wrote: »
    You also shouldn't have to lock your front door, your car or have long complex passwords for your email account.

Unfortunately that's just the world we live in. You need to do what you can to protect your stuff.

Sadly that’s the way it’s gone and the worst of it is the actual justice if you get it is another suspended sentence on top of an already big list.
    If you shot the fukr then on your own property with no previous record yourself you’re guaranteed jail time.fukn jokeshop of a country.
    They should put mug shots of fathead up in the post offices.
    If I was a gambling man I’d bet he’ll turn up there for his entitlements

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It must have been a hard video to watch for the homeowner, I think the Nest thing alerts you to show you people approaching, you would feel rage watching it unfold yet can do nothing, they should release a later version of it with landmines that can be armed from your phone, it would be woeth losing the front of your house to wipe these fookers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Doctors room ghost - Do not post in this thread again.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Fair play.. Ill stop looking for dodgy polish lads in a berlingo so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

sugarman wrote: »
    It is, reg 04-WX-6494 for anyone wondering ;)

CVRT up on it since 26th August, there's a lot to be said for every single Garda car being fitted with ANPR, this would flag this vehicle up and it could be stopped, would be interesting chat with them describing where they got their haul. One brake light also out on it, good policing will stop these chancers, 1970's tech won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They should at least have picked up the van by now assuming that the householder has given them the recording.

• Advertisement
Advertisement