Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Attempt at making cider not going to plan

Options
  • 11-10-2018 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi All,
    So I planted 8 apples trees a couple of years ago, and decided I'd try making cider as a bit of fun. Both myself a press and a crusher, washed it all out, and got to work. 
    Apples were washed, crushed and pressed - got myself a whole 10 litres!! Added 2 x camden tablets to each 5 litre container - waited 2 days, and added a couple of teaspoons of yeast, plugged with cotton wool, placed in the utility room (reasonably warm) and waited.....and waited...and waited some more.
    4 days later no sign of any fermentation - checked my process again, and realised I should have re-hydrated the yeast before hand :-( 
    So did that  - mixed the yeast in water, added to containers - gave them a good mix,  and waited.....and waited...and waited some more.
    So I'm nearly two weeks in - no fermentation - there are no a couple of spots of mould beginning to form :-(
    At this stage, I'm assuming all is lost? Are there any suggestions as to what went wrong?
    Thanks in advance.

SH

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

a couple of teaspoons of yeast
    This is the bit that looks wonky to me. Measuring yeast with a teaspoon? What kind of yeast were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

BeerNut wrote: »
    This is the bit that looks wonky to me. Measuring yeast with a teaspoon? What kind of yeast were you using?

Were the containers you are using properly sterilized?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As well as re-hydrating the yeast, you need to oxygenate your wort / mixture before adding the yeast. Yeast need oxygen in order to begin their fermentation process - as far as I know, they spend a few hours storing energy from oxygen intake and also multiplying like rabbits inside the fermenter, and then begin actually fermenting once all the oxygen is consumed.

Get a wooden spoon or paddle, dunk it in boiling water for a couple of minutes to sterilise it, and then stir the mixture vigorously, occasionally switching the direction of your stirring without stopping, or suddenly doing a stir across the mixture instead of around it - anything which causes a good amount of splashing, visible foaming, and bubbling. Add your yeast immediately after doing this.

If you oxygenate with enough gusto, you can actually cause fermentation to start far sooner than most guide books tell you - since I started really putting energy into this (a good ten-fifteen minutes of mad stirring while listening to some epic and upbeat music is my recommendation), the amount of time between sealing the fermenter and seeing visible bubbling in the airlock has decreased from an overnight thing to around four hours.

EDIT: Best way to rehydrate is to fill a pint glass 2/3rds with boiling water, cover it with clingfilm and stick it in the fridge for half an hour or so to bring the temperature down, sprinkle the yeast into the water (don't stir it or swirl it, most of the yeast will sink into it of its own accord over time) and leave it alone for another half an hour or so, out of the fridge and again covered in clingfilm. I usually boil the water for re-hydrating before I start doing anything else, stick it in the fridge, pass the half an hour or so of waiting by doing all the sterilisation of the fermenter, then add the yeast to the pint glass. By the time you've then mixed your wort and added enough water, the yeast should be well re-hydrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭SparrowHawk

a couple of teaspoons of yeast
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AX5BM18/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mordeith wrote: »

Were the containers you are using properly sterilized?
    Sterlised with warm water with camden tablets desolved

• Advertisement

As well as re-hydrating the yeast, you need to oxygenate your wort / mixture before adding the yeast. Yeast need oxygen in order to begin their fermentation process - as far as I know, they spend a few hours storing energy from oxygen intake and also multiplying like rabbits inside the fermenter, and then begin actually fermenting once all the oxygen is consumed.

Get a wooden spoon or paddle, dunk it in boiling water for a couple of minutes to sterilise it, and then stir the mixture vigorously, occasionally switching the direction of your stirring without stopping, or suddenly doing a stir across the mixture instead of around it - anything which causes a good amount of splashing, visible foaming, and bubbling. Add your yeast immediately after doing this.

If you oxygenate with enough gusto, you can actually cause fermentation to start far sooner than most guide books tell you - since I started really putting energy into this (a good ten-fifteen minutes of mad stirring while listening to some epic and upbeat music is my recommendation), the amount of time between sealing the fermenter and seeing visible bubbling in the airlock has decreased from an overnight thing to around four hours.

EDIT: Best way to rehydrate is to fill a pint glass 2/3rds with boiling water, cover it with clingfilm and stick it in the fridge for half an hour or so to bring the temperature down, sprinkle the yeast into the water (don't stir it or swirl it, most of the yeast will sink into it of its own accord over time) and leave it alone for another half an hour or so, out of the fridge and again covered in clingfilm. I usually boil the water for re-hydrating before I start doing anything else, stick it in the fridge, pass the half an hour or so of waiting by doing all the sterilisation of the fermenter, then add the yeast to the pint glass. By the time you've then mixed your wort and added enough water, the yeast should be well re-hydrated.
    Can I still do this - or is the mixture worthless after this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sterlised with warm water with camden tablets desolved

So a Camden tablet solution. Not just warm water and then Camden into the juice?

mordeith wrote:
    So a Camden tablet solution. Not just warm water and then Camden into the juice?

Nope a Camden solution and then Camden into the juice about two days later

Ah b******s I thought it was yeast. Can I recover this if I add yeast ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Nope a Camden solution and then Camden into the juice about two days later

The problem as Spook has pointed out is that you haven’t used any yeast. Yeast nutrient is not yeast.

At this stage I’d buy a dry yeast and chuck it in and see what happens. I rarely make cider but I think a white wine yeast is generally used. It will ferment but doesn’t sound great if you can see mould.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bin this

Ill order some yeast and keep you all posted

Advertisement