Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargeback

Options
  • 11-10-2018 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently requested a chargeback on an item of clothing that I purchased online which was way bigger than the size requested.

I tried unsuccessfully to resolve the matter with the seller.

The chargeback request was refused as I did not have documentation from an "expert" confirming that the merchandise was not as described.

Please can you define for me who qualifies as an expert in such circumstances? My Mom is pretty knowledgeable about such things. Will she do?

Please also can you clarify that if a fee is expected by this expert for their expert opinion, who is liable for same?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi Morak Thun,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We would not be able to advise on the fees. The expert would need to be someone working in the clothing industry and who can send in their document on headed paper.

If you have any further queries please let us know.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Morak Thun

Hi Morak Thun,

We would not be able to advise on the fees. The expert would need to be someone working in the clothing industry and who can send in their document on headed paper.

Thanks,

Lorna
    Is this not an absolute nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Hi Morak Thun,

Thanks,

Lorna
    Seriously!?!

Hi Morak Thun,

Thanks,

Lorna
    Do you have a list of experts in the clothing industry that can provide this service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Morak Thun wrote: »
    Hi Morak Thun,

Thanks,

Lorna
    Do you have a list of experts in the clothing industry that can provide this service?

Thanks for getting back to us.
    We wouldn't have a registered list. This would need to be sourced independently and our chargebacks unit will be happy to review any documents that you send in to them.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Is this a windup BOI? Experts in the clothing industry to decide if an item of clothing is the wrong size ordered?

Shut the front door. 

Id love to hear BOI's requirements for someone to be defined as an "expert". Are we talking retail assistant or Paris based fashion house owner? Maybe the editor of Vogue?

Hoboo wrote: »
    Is this a windup BOI? Experts in the clothing industry to decide if an item of clothing is the wrong size ordered?

Shut the front door. 

Id love to hear BOI's requirements for someone to be defined as an "expert". Are we talking retail assistant or Paris based fashion house owner? Maybe the editor of Vogue?

Hi Hoboo,

Thanks for getting in touch.
    Our chargebacks team would make every effort to get funds back for all of our customers. As advised on the dispute form supporting documentation would be required for this investigation and the documentation needed can change from request to request.

Thanks again,
    Darren.  

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Go to a tailor or repair place or something? In fairness to BOI charge backs are only supposed to be used in a very limited set of cases, they need to be sure they won't be on the hook if it turns out there's nothing wrong with the clothes or the charge back was fraudulent or something.

TBH it should never get this far your consumer rights should take care of it. Have you tried that forum for advice?

TheChizler wrote: »
    Go to a tailor or repair place or something? In fairness to BOI charge backs are only supposed to be used in a very limited set of cases, they need to be sure they won't be on the hook if it turns out there's nothing wrong with the clothes or the charge back was fraudulent or something.

TBH it should never get this far your consumer rights should take care of it. Have you tried that forum for advice?
    Absolute rhubarb! Chargebacks are supposed to offer the buyer a level of protection when buying merchandise at a distance. 

Bank of Ireland's method of dealing with it makes the buyer jump through all the hoops and go to further expense to try to get their payment back.

Absolute joke!

Shut the front door. 

Hi Hoboo,

Our chargebacks team would make every effort to get funds back for all of our customers. As advised on the dispute form supporting documentation would be required for this investigation and the documentation needed can change from request to request.

Thanks again,
    Darren.  
    What does this mean Darren?

Your chargeback team would make every effort to get funds back for all of our customers?

What effort was made to get my funds back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Suppose it depends on how far into a dispute resolution you have gone.

Do you still have the item or have you returned it for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Absolute rhubarb! Chargebacks are supposed to offer the buyer a level of protection when buying merchandise at a distance. 

Bank of Ireland's method of dealing with it makes the buyer jump through all the hoops and go to further expense to try to get their payment back.

Absolute joke!
    Well best of luck appealing to people's goodwill with an attitude like that.

Shut the front door.

Hi Hoboo,

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Your chargeback team would make every effort to get funds back for all of our customers?

The chargeback from does give a check list on the form of documentation needed to make a claim and this is included on it.
    I'm sorry that you're unhappy with this process.
    If you would like to raise this as an official complaint I've given a link here that shows how you can do this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Absolute joke!
    Well best of luck appealing to people's goodwill with an attitude like that.
    Unless it can do something to resolve an absolutely farcical obstruction put in place by Bank of Ireland, you can keep your goodwilll.

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Shut the front door. 

Hi Hoboo,

Thanks again,
    Darren.  
    I appreciate the need for supporting documentation, but what are BOI's requirements for someone to be considered an expert in the clothing industry? There must be some examples in your customer service handbook?

Surely if a customer orders lets say an XL shirt, which generally would be a size 42 inch chest and 17 inch neck, and the item delivered is a 48 inch chest and 19 neck its pretty cut and dry without the need for a company letterhead from Yves Saint Laurent!

Shut the front door.

Hi Hoboo,

Thanks again,
    Darren.  

The chargeback from does give a check list on the form of documentation needed to make a claim and this is included on it.  
    I'm sorry that you're unhappy with this process.
    If you would like to raise this as an official complaint I've given a link here that shows how you can do this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,

Can you explain the rationale as to why a document from an expert is needed in order to process a chargeback in such circumstances?

Additionally, I do wish to pursue an official complaint. Can you please provide me with an email address to forward same to?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi Morak Thun,

Please see the link Darren provided to our complaints process. Please be assured the Team will fully investigate this for you and the reasons relating to the documentation required by our Charge Back Team.  

An email address is not one of the options to raise a complaint with us.

Many Thanks
    Alison

Hi Morak Thun,

Please see the link Darren provided to our complaints process. Please be assured the Team will fully investigate this for you and the reasons relating to the documentation required by our Charge Back Team.  

An email address is not one of the options to raise a complaint with us.

Many Thanks
    Alison
    Alison,

I will drop in to my local customer service manager next week with a list of my complaints. 

I note your assurance that the team will fully investigate this for me. Forgive me for my lack of faith. Everything I have experienced this far with Bank of Ireland leaves me of the view that your procedures are designed to frustrate and obstruct. 

Make it difficult and a hassle for a customer to complain and maybe they will go away.

I will update this thread with the results of my experience with your customer service manager and your complaints procedure.

Advertisement