Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back into Golf

Options
  • 11-10-2018 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking to get back into the game after 4 years. Have not played one round in that time. Was playing off 5 at my lowest and had drifted up to 7 by the time I stopped playing. Whats the usual process for getting a handicap again? Will I need to do the 3 cards thing or will a club take the 3 cards and the old handicap into account and come up with something that way?

Appreciate any insight

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I took a break from the game for a few years. Our handicap sec asked for 3 cards and inquired what my former handicap was. I played brutal when i came back so the 3 cards were way above my former handicap. He ended giving me my old handicap + 2 shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Depends on the club you join. I know a guy who was playing off +1 at the time he gave up the game. He returned 3 years later, joined a different club, submitted his 3 cards and was given a handicap of 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Cheers guys

Backspin. - Any pointers on getting the game back in shape. Did you hit the range or get lessons or just get out on the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Domo1982 wrote: »
    Cheers guys

Backspin. - Any pointers on getting the game back in shape. Did you hit the range or get lessons or just get out on the course?

I did a bit of work on my swing and just played a couple of times a week. It took me nearly a year to get back to my old handicap. I'm the lowest i've ever been now though in my early 40's and feel there is more to go. I didn't get into single figures until i was late 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Rikand wrote: »
    Depends on the club you join. I know a guy who was playing off +1 at the time he gave up the game. He returned 3 years later, joined a different club, submitted his 3 cards and was given a handicap of 8.

That doesn't seem fair. Even with the 3 year gap there's no way he should have been eligible to get such a high handicap after being a +1 player.

Any idea how he got on with new inflated hcap ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Macker1 wrote: »
    That doesn't seem fair. Even with the 3 year gap there's no way he should have been eligible to get such a high handicap after being a +1 player.

Any idea how he got on with new inflated hcap ??

He had 1 good round where he went from 8 to almost 6, but that's been it. When he was +1 he played every other day. Now he gets out once a week and plays more or less to his handicap. He plays off 7 atm.

When he joined his new club he told them that he played off +1/+2 at one point and were they sure they wanted to give him 8 but they told him they went on the 3 cards and that was it. No givesy backsies

Advertisement